Shapeoko Enclosure / Stand

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
kojo-jojo

Shapeoko Enclosure / Stand

Post by kojo-jojo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:46 pm

I hope this is in the right spot....

Waiting for my kit to ship (second factory run on inventables). So I havent been able to do this yet but here is the idea I have been kicking around in my head and thought id post it out to the group. I am planning to make an enclosure or a stand for my shapeoko and here is what I ve come to for my base:

I m thinking about using a parts washer from harbor freight. I think it will set it up at the right height but the other nice thing about mounting the shapeoko in the parts washer is that I m thinking for cncing metals you could "liquid cool" your cutter bit and possibly be able to use the tub and pump that come with the parts washer....

I m thinking some kind of a stand that suspends the shapeoko up off the bottom of the tub, so that your coolant could still be in the bottom of the tub and pump up to the bit and leave the sides open so that the coolant can run off your bed and down into the bottom of the tub. I m thinking the parts washer, along with a few other parts, tubing to run from the pump to the bit area, some kind of a filter for the pump to keep your shavings from getting in the pump, replace the base mounting board/ cutting board on the shapeoko with a sheet of abs and maybe some plexiglass walls around the top (remove the lid, or take the lid off add the plexiglass walls and place the lid on top of them...)

From what I can tell the dimensions seem like they will fit...

What are your thoughts? Am I crazy? Overkill??

Here is the parts washer I was thinking about using:
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gallon- ... 94702.html

Max Metz

Re: Shapeoko Enclosure / Stand

Post by Max Metz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Looks like a great idea, certainly good value for money, everything tucked away nicely and very easy to access when the mood takes. :D

esacteksab

Post by esacteksab » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:32 pm

I wondered about a parts washer or a sand blasting cabinet. Would like an enclosure myself for noise suppression as well as dust/materials.

If you build something, definitely keep us updated on the progress!
Serial # 215

RSWeaverAz

Post by RSWeaverAz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 am

I already have a "Stand" that I got from HF for like $27
http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable ... 46725.html

This Tank thing looks promising, a little odd, but promising, on sale now until 7/31 at $99 US:
From the HF web site:
Technical Specifications
Pump: 120V ~, 60Hz, 0.23A
Power Cord: 62” L, SJT 18AWG X 3C
Material: Formed 18 gauge sheet steel, flexible steel tubing
Overall Dimensions: 21-1/2” L X 31” W X 34-1/2” H (lid closed); 51-3/4” H (lid open)
Tank Capacity: 20 Gallons
Tank Dimensions: 19” L X 28” W X 10-1/4” D
Max Flow: 20 Liters per minute
Unit Weight: 50 Lbs.
Switch: 2-position rocker switch with internal light
So it is metal! Possibly mount the ShapeOko on a metal plate, and have a way to raise/lower it into the tank;
As I don't think one would like to reach over the 10" sides to get at the Shape Oko.
Also, If you don't have a HF store close at hand, the shipping is like $14 + extra

Edit: the tank is ~ 10 inches deep. the shape Oko is roughly 11" (280MM Makerslide) + Rotary tool Travel, so might not be able to close the lid,
but always possibilities ... extend tank depth? extra walls using MDF ...

BTW, how does MDF "wear" when exposed to oily fluids ... does it fall apart, would the ShapeOko base have to be metal
I Launch Rockets
, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
ShapeOko S/N 396

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm

RSWeaverAz wrote: BTW, how does MDF "wear" when exposed to oily fluids ... does it fall apart, would the ShapeOko base have to be metal
MDF does not do well with any liquid! It will absorb it, puff up, and fall apart. I think you would have to use a metal base with a spoil board made of HDPE or a similar plastic. The plastic may be enough for a base if it is thick enough.
Last edited by Improbable Construct on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

RSWeaverAz

Post by RSWeaverAz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 pm

I was looking at some of Bart Dring's postings at http://www.buildlog.net and saw this.
With some modifications, such as mounting the motors and belt pulleys at the top,
rather than at the bottom it could work to raise-lower the ShapeOko , in and out of the Tank.
the metal sides of the tank help in that respect. If it were plastic it would eventually fail.
Don't know if this was ever built but the posting is here:
http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic ... =180#p1689

I Launch Rockets
, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
ShapeOko S/N 396

ninjaPixel

Post by ninjaPixel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:23 pm

How did you get on, kojo-jojo?

I will be using my Shakeoko in my garage and want to build some sort of enclosure to stop the dust covering my bikes and tools. I was thinking of building a frame, slightly larger than the Shapeoko, and stapling thick, clear plastic sheet (they type that is used for recycling bags in the UK) between the struts of the frame, and then just dropping it over the unit to keep the dust inside.
Has anyone else tried any thing similar?

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:14 pm

There's another thread going relating to stands. http://shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 8038#p8038

I'm pretty sure the stand shown in my post is the same one that RSweaverAZ is using from HF! It's awesome BTW.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:18 pm

ninjaPixel wrote: I will be using my Shapeoko in my garage and want to build some sort of enclosure to stop the dust covering my bikes and tools.
I know what you are talking about with the dust all over the garage :-)
I would suggest getting a cheap shop-vac and building a dust-shoe. Improbable Construct has a design on the wiki for the DW660 (I'm using that now with craft foam instead of brush strips and it works great -- pretty much zero escaped dust). You could probably modify it if you have a different spindle.