Shapeoko 3 customization ideas / options

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Shapeoko 3 customization ideas / options

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:36 pm

I've often opined that the ideal way to do this is to have a couple of boxes, along w/ some pre-defined rail lengths (this is pretty much what Catalin does w/ eShapeoko).

Here are my thoughts on how this could be broken down:

- Mechanical --- this would include the plates, V-wheels, bolts, washers, &c. --- I'd really like to just be able to include the connectors for the motors (both NEMA 17 and 23) here as well --- could we save enough for added volume to offset the cost? --- the plates should be available separately (this would allow for replacements and for people to do a Shapeoko 2->3 upgrade if desired)

- Structure --- this would be the rails and the wasteboard / frame --- given international shipping concerns (unless we can get some production going overseas?) being able to leave out the wasteboard seems an important option --- given the inexpensive availability of aluminum extrusions (and alternatives) one wonders if we should make it possible to forgo ordering the frame, so:

- X-rail --- pick a length
- Y-rail --- ditto for a pair (presumably longer --- also have an option for side supports?)

Frame
- Y-dimension (matched to the rails above plus pre-defined add't'l length) --- a concern is that it may be necessary to spec Y- first which would then define how many X- extrusions one would need (looks like the stock machine has 3 X- extrusions, one at each end, and a third in the middle as reinforcement)
- X-dimension --- one would need a minimum of 3 extrusions along this axis as noted above. Probably easiest to make the Y-axis extrusion only, the X-axis would be extrusion plus connectors (in a separate packet)

Wasteboard
- allow a couple of stock sizes

Electronics --- separate boxes
- NEMA17 motor package --- plus pulleys and belts --- belt length would need to be calculated from the length of the X- and Y-axes selected (would it be possible to order motors in a sufficient quantity that we could standardize on 1/4" shafts? --- that'd standardize the bore between the twain)
- NEMA23 motor package --- plus pulleys and belts as above
- microcontroller, fan and wiring ---- wiring length would need to be keyed into machine dimensions as pulleys are
- limit switches and wiring --- ditto on wiring run --- a question, would it be economically feasible to standardize on wire w/ a sufficient number of conductors as to accommodate limit switches by default?

One thing I definitely want to do this time is design a standard electronics enclosure to be a standard initial project --- thoughts on a suitable material / size?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Brian Stone

Re: Shapeoko 3 customization ideas / options

Post by Brian Stone » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:49 pm

I'd love to see a Nema 23 option available out of the gate (with the kit, not as an separate upgrade package) for those of us who know we'll be modding the kit. I'd rather not have to pay for a set of Nema 17's that are just going to get shelved in a few months.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:20 pm

WillAdams wrote:
One thing I definitely want to do this time is design a standard electronics enclosure to be a standard initial project --- thoughts on a suitable material / size?
Well after getting the Arduino/grbl Shield enclosure I am very disappointed in it. The fact that it is so tight you fasten the Arduino in to place first then have to try and line up the shield just right and can not see the matting pins SUCKS.

So definitely would love to see something different than the Version one enclosure. :-)
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:26 pm

WillAdams wrote:
I would like to see an anodized aluminum enclosure, it would look really nice and match the rest of the machine. Though I suppose steel is cheaper and it could always be powder coated to match the plates. MDF would be very economical and easy to work with, but it doesn't look as high end as the other options.

I vote for material in this order:

Aluminum
Steel
MDF

As far as size I can't really comment on it but I'd say large enough to accommodate everything with adequate airflow, yet small enough that it's easy to mount somewhere to the Shapeoko 3.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:44 pm

A bit of confusion here --- I just meant an electronics enclosure to hold the control board and fan and allow them to be fastened to an endplate. An alternative to: https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... closure--2

An enclosure for the entire machine isn't something I can take on for the foreseeable future (I still have to schlep my SO1 up out of the basement and onto the deck or carport to cut Ipê) --- just don't have the room for it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

pepik

Post by pepik » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Well after getting the Arduino/grbl Shield enclosure I am very disappointed in it. The fact that it is so tight you fasten the Arduino in to place first then have to try and line up the shield just right and can not see the matting pins SUCKS.
Having just done this, I agree 100%. Meshing the boards is very difficult. I couldn't even get all four mounting screws to mate with the housing, so the board is a little askew.
Shapeoko 2 #7266
DW660 spindle
Upgraded wasteboard
Drag Chains

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:56 pm

pepik wrote:
Having just done this, I agree 100%. Meshing the boards is very difficult. I couldn't even get all four mounting screws to mate with the housing, so the board is a little askew.
I only mounted with the 3 screws that Lined up left the last one out.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

Bunker195

Post by Bunker195 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Just pre-ordered my SO3 and would like NEMA 23's as an option out of the gate as well.

Tool length probe and limit switches would be great also.

eefits

Post by eefits » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:13 am

Ditto here for NEMA 23 out of the bat.

1leonchen

Post by 1leonchen » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:31 pm

i would like to see rail lengths available. also a waste board for shipping overseas should be a option. conversion from shape oko 2 to 3 should be a option in the future. the ideal size for a cnc i 2 feet by 2 feet. can wait to see how the new design hold up. i plan to get a shape oko3 but i wait till july to get mine. want to see the reviews first.