Shapeoko 3 customization ideas / options

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
cvoinescu

Re: Shapeoko 3 customization ideas / options

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:42 pm

There isn't much to convert from a Shapeoko 2 to a 3. Besides the V-wheels, belt idlers and pulleys, and some of the fasteners, I doubt anything can be reused. But I think many people would be happy to be able to buy a Shapeoko 3 mechanical kit, without motors or electronics.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:51 pm

One thing I've been wondering about is if one could do some sort of adapter plate to get from SO3 extrusion to SO2 plates.

If there was some way to do that you'd need:

- adapter plates (perhaps some standard sort of part could be used? Could it be provided as just a template for drilling?)
- the extrusion
- the frame / wasteboard

and even then, it looks like it just makes more sense to sell or re-purpose the old machine and buy new.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:09 pm

Why bother? For the motor plates, you need to adapt both the Y V-wheel holes and the X extrusion attachment points, and do something about the motors too. It would cost less to buy Shapeoko 3 plates to replace the Shapeoko 2 motor plates (they'd be not much bigger, made in much higher volume than the adapter solution, and they'd need less hardware). If we're talking about end plates, the situation is the same -- just replace them with Shapeoko 3 plates, it's cheaper that way.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:45 pm

1leonchen wrote:i would like to see rail lengths available. also a waste board for shipping overseas should be a option. conversion from shape oko 2 to 3 should be a option in the future. the ideal size for a cnc i 2 feet by 2 feet. can wait to see how the new design hold up. i plan to get a shape oko3 but i wait till july to get mine. want to see the reviews first.
Got a barrel of cash you desperately need to spend?
I mean, sending a wasteboard across the Atlantic?

An aluminium wasteboard (made of Misumi 20something profiles, maybe) would be extremely expensive.
And a wasteboard of mdf/plywood/chipboard/whatever would still cost so much that you could rent a local carpenter to make one...

As for upgrade kits... The only upgrade from SO/SO2 to SO3 that's really going to work is a complete mechanical kit.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

1leonchen

Post by 1leonchen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:09 am

Gadgetman! wrote:
1leonchen wrote:i would like to see rail lengths available. also a waste board for shipping overseas should be a option. conversion from shape oko 2 to 3 should be a option in the future. the ideal size for a cnc i 2 feet by 2 feet. can wait to see how the new design hold up. i plan to get a shape oko3 but i wait till july to get mine. want to see the reviews first.
Got a barrel of cash you desperately need to spend?
I mean, sending a wasteboard across the Atlantic?

An aluminium wasteboard (made of Misumi 20something profiles, maybe) would be extremely expensive.
And a wasteboard of mdf/plywood/chipboard/whatever would still cost so much that you could rent a local carpenter to make one...

As for upgrade kits... The only upgrade from SO/SO2 to SO3 that's really going to work is a complete mechanical kit.
i am planning to upgrade my shape oko 2 at the end of this month. i have already figured out all the parts i need. gonna run around $500 in parts alone. i have to consider double shipping. one to maimi and one overseas. it almost doubles when i receive it. shipping plus custom duties. my waste board was crappy i had to replace it. because it was bent during shipping. the dremel clone tool is crappy. stuff like that is just waste. no acess to 1/8 bits. stuff like that. i have a lot of tool more than the average home user. i did construction and furniture making in my 20 s. i bought a lot of tools during that time.
i am grate full for the full kit but next shape oko 3 will be mechanical only

akhlut

Post by akhlut » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:41 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Why bother? For the motor plates, you need to adapt both the Y V-wheel holes and the X extrusion attachment points, and do something about the motors too. It would cost less to buy Shapeoko 3 plates to replace the Shapeoko 2 motor plates (they'd be not much bigger, made in much higher volume than the adapter solution, and they'd need less hardware). If we're talking about end plates, the situation is the same -- just replace them with Shapeoko 3 plates, it's cheaper that way.
I'm a little mystified about the need for an 'upgrade path' to SO3.

Why not just mill your own SO3 plates from 1/4" aluminum like the OX machines?

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:26 pm

The S3 is a substantially different design than the S2. Trying to upgrade from the S2 to the S3 would be like trying upgrade your station wagon to a pickup truck.

In the "real world" when a machine shop wants more capacity they don't "upgrade" their mill, they buy a new one and possibly sell the old one. No commercial CNC mills have an "upgrade" path.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:30 pm

twforeman wrote:The S3 is a substantially different design than the S2. Trying to upgrade from the S2 to the S3 would be like trying upgrade your station wagon to a pickup truck.

In the "real world" when a machine shop wants more capacity they don't "upgrade" their mill, they buy a new one and possibly sell the old one. No commercial CNC mills have an "upgrade" path.
I do agree most shops do. But we are not talking about a commercial cnc we are talking open source so that is why some of us are actually looking to see if there isi goung to even be possible upgrade options.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:37 pm

twforeman wrote:Trying to upgrade from the S2 to the S3 would be like trying upgrade your station wagon to a pickup truck.
Actually, not even that easy (I grew up on stories 'bout how my grandfather would purchase Model Ts and convert them into pickups for use on the farm).

The only parts which seem to be in common between an SO1/2 and and SO3 are the V-wheels, motors and electronics --- everything else is new.

Yes, one could do a parts kit to upgrade, but when one is done, one has the bulk of a CNC machine left over --- I've tried to envision a way to make an upgrade kit (say using adapter plates), but it just doesn't work in any reasonable fashion --- if someone can design and market an upgrade kit, I'd like to see it, but I'm just not seeing how. It'd be a repeat of I.C.'s upgraded SO1 --- when he was done, he was able to re-build his stock machine by sourcing a second set of V-wheels.

Sell the SO1/2 (or re-purpose it as a 3D printer) and buy an SO3 if one needs one, or just use the SO2 as is --- while the SO3 is a nice machine, so is an SO2.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Damin69 wrote:
twforeman wrote:The S3 is a substantially different design than the S2. Trying to upgrade from the S2 to the S3 would be like trying upgrade your station wagon to a pickup truck.

I do agree most shops do. But we are not talking about a commercial cnc we are talking open source so that is why some of us are actually looking to see if there isi goung to even be possible upgrade options.
It's a perfectly legitimate question. But the answer is no, an upgrade does not make sense in this case.