Gryphon CNC extrusion

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
raj

Gryphon CNC extrusion

Post by raj » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:08 am

Edit: this thing appears to be a scam: http://cncmogulsucks.com/

Check out this Gryphon CNC extrusion. It is like 40x40mm double-wide makerslide:

http://www.gryphoncnc.com/machine-and-electronics/

Too bad they don't sell just the extrusion..
Last edited by raj on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Improbable Construct

Re: Gryphon CNC extrusion

Post by Improbable Construct » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:33 am

Oh look its another version of the Mogul CNC (we have nothing to do with makerfoot) machine only its green vs. orange/gray.
Too bad they don't know their X from their Y.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:53 am

Wow, the Gryphon is literally identical to the Mogul in everyway with the exception of being a different color. Something seems really shady here, especially since the Mogul is supposedly a closed machine. :? I swear these things are Chinese in origin and people are pawning them off as their own, or the founder of CNC Mogul decided to rebrand his machine and start a new website.

Not to sound smug or pompous but I think my HD (I'll be coming up with a new name) will be a better value than these machines. I'm aiming for $899 for a 1x1m mechanical kit and about $1,299 for a full kit, whereas a 3x3 foot Gryphon machine runs at over $2k and probably won't perform much better (if at all) than the HD. The HDX on the other hand, while being more expensive overall, is in a class of its own and would be a far better value if raw performance was very important to you while still being relatively inexpensive.

I'm also not too impressed with the overall design of their machines. While there are some interesting and cool ideas being used, I feel like the design of the machine lacks refinement and real thought. For instance why would you slap 495oz stepper motors to that relatively light frame? That's way overkill and insinuates that they don't really know what they're doing.... The z-axis looks like it's no stronger than what's currently being used on the Shapeoko 2, so no heavy duty router/spindle support there even though they're using 495oz stepper motors. Sigh, I hate sounding like a jerk and I really don't want to bad mouth or belittle anyone as it's never my intention, but I just get upset when I see things like this.

Well, I don't want to keep ranting and revert to child-like behavior so I'm going to bed. Good night everyone.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:20 pm

LouisV, don't shy away from criticizing designs. If your criticism is objective, it's a good learning tool for all involved. :)

I don't like the profile. I think that, with the same cross-section, it could have been made more rigid. For instance, the fairly massive solid center of the profile adds almost nothing to rigidity, so they could have saved mass by removing it, or improved rigidity by making the walls that do matter slightly thicker. The more cavities a profile has, the more expensive the die and the more difficult it is to extrude (unless you switch to an inferior alloy such as 6063). I am not an expert by any means, but this profile does not look very well thought out. It's as if they superimposed several copies of MakerSlide, made the walls thicker, and left it at that. It seems designed to appear solid, but not necessarily to be solid.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:31 pm

cvoinescu, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

I agree on the profile, it doesn't seem well designed. I'm also weary of the rack and pinion system, those can actually be more prone to backlash than a belt and pinion system if not engineered to high standards, and their machine doesn't look like it is. Again I'm not trying to be mean or put anyone down, but this machine just doesn't seem well thought out and the business that surrounds it seems a bit shady to me.

Atomist

Post by Atomist » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:30 pm

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS GUY. There are numerous reports of people being ripped off, machines falling apart, breaking and generally the poor design and quality. It is the same guy from Mogul CNC. He keeps changing the guise but it's the same guy. I ran into the Gryphon awhile back and did quite a bit of research and that's what I found out. If you even give his pictures a good looking you can see how poor of quality some of the items are. From what I remember and this is just off the top of my head, his "custom" extrusion looked to be of very poor quality. This is after seeing some up close shots. Anyway, I saw this and just wanted to chime in.

Atomist

Post by Atomist » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:36 pm

Also, I don't know if it's coincidence, but his extrusion design is nearly identical to a design I did a couple years back. It was shared on a couple sites but I never did anything with it. I uploaded a few of the rough designs in STL format back in September to thingiverse. At the time I designed it I was still new to 3D modeling but I had never seen any extrusion like my design. I was just tossing around ideas so it was all just draft work in Sketchup even. So again, I don't know if it's coincidence, but it looks very similar to a couple of the extrusion designs I was playing with.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks Atomist, I guess this confirms my suspicions. All we can do is hope that people do their research and look elsewhere.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:42 pm

Atomist wrote:Also, I don't know if it's coincidence, but his extrusion design is nearly identical to a design I did a couple years back. It was shared on a couple sites but I never did anything with it. I uploaded a few of the rough designs in STL format back in September to thingiverse. At the time I designed it I was still new to 3D modeling but I had never seen any extrusion like my design. I was just tossing around ideas so it was all just draft work in Sketchup even. So again, I don't know if it's coincidence, but it looks very similar to a couple of the extrusion designs I was playing with.
It did strike me as a first or second draft of something that somehow skipped the next ten stages or so and got turned directly into a product. So it may very well be that.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm looking at the z-axis again and I have to say it's just not very well thought out. In the photos they show off the fact that there is 7.5 inches in distance between the top wheel and the bottom like that actually means something. People who aren't too versed in CNC machines would think that equates to 7.5 inches of effective travel. Of course it's not anywhere near that, it looks like it would be 2.5 to 3 inches but that's not mentioned anywhere on the page. The rack and pinion system also has me really worried, it screams backlash to me and aluminum on aluminum is probably not ideal. I really wish there was a way other than this forum to warn people to stay far away from this machine. :(