Electro Mini-Stack - Arduino, Motor Sheild, Rapsberry Pi?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
atanguay

Electro Mini-Stack - Arduino, Motor Sheild, Rapsberry Pi?

Post by atanguay » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Have you guys seen the 'Raspberry Pi' Mini Computer? I thought this might be a really nice little front end computer in the form factor of the Arduino...

From their FAQ...

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

Sure...kids. There's a bit of a lead time right now...ok, a lot of a lead time. But I ordered one up. For $35, how can you not try.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
7513051848_9a6ef2feb8_o-1024x682.jpg
7513051848_9a6ef2feb8_o-1024x682.jpg (98.4 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
SHAPEOKO SERIAL NUMBER 303! - Home of the ShapeoKube!

vios

Re: Electro Mini-Stack - Arduino, Motor Sheild, Rapsberry Pi

Post by vios » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:17 pm

i received mine few days ago. Installed debian linux and Arduino IDE.
While this good as small computer running linux and as media center I dont think its suitable for more complicated stuff.
I installed Arduino Ide and have tried to upload some sketch but not as smooth as expected.
I think i will just leave it to my kid untill somebody can make it run faster.

CptanPanic

Post by CptanPanic » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:38 am

You should try the new raspbian sd image that came out the other day it is supposed to be faster.

atanguay

Post by atanguay » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Interesting to hear your first impressions...I can believe it's not the speediest thing out there.

Maybe raspbian will help move things along. It sure would be a nice little form factor for all those things.
SHAPEOKO SERIAL NUMBER 303! - Home of the ShapeoKube!

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:40 pm

I would use this with gcode sender only. No need for arduino ide
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

Colecago

Post by Colecago » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:45 am

I had one for a bit, it was slow and I couldn't figure out a use for it so I sold it. I heard on that model (the B) the ethernet/usb hub results in 20% of the processor time just spent servicing interrupts. I'm not sure if this is true on the new versions of the kernel but there was a thread on the element14 forums complaining about it a few months back. Hopefully model A, without the external hub/ethernet will not have this problem.

Flare09

Post by Flare09 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:23 pm

So what's the verdict with raspberry pi? Is it suitable to use as a computer for drawing the object and sending codes to the shapeoko stock setup?

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 pm

I think if you are using it to just send GCODE then its fine! dont expect to create art or use LinuxCNC on it with great results.
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

sea2stars

Post by sea2stars » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:03 am

I have one running as a headless low power file server with a few old SLC SSDs attached. I just got a USB 2 gigabit Ethernet adapter I hope to play with; 2-3x transfer speeds would be nice. I may have to compile a kernel module though; should be fun.

Since I'n not having much luck getting LinuxCNC to run with my current setup... Sending gcode to a Shapeoko, through VNC on an iPad, connected to a Raspberry Pi would be interesting; could probably manage a cheap web cam too.

Flare09

Post by Flare09 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:12 am

Yeah my whole idea was to set it up like an actual shop and use it to just draw and send. Literally keep that in as my whole setup without using my laptop..planning on adding a coolant and enclosure. So being able to keep all I need there at the machine would be nice.. anyone know other options? Something strong enough to run sketchup or all the stuff needed to keep it there with the machine?