Dewalt 611 Deflector and Dust Shoe

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Brian Stone

Re: Dewalt 611 Deflector and Dust Shoe

Post by Brian Stone » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:26 pm

CastIrony wrote: Is it hard to get the arrestor button assembly back in place? I'm a little bit scared to take out those screws.
Don't be afraid to disassemble it. The lock assembly is simple and very easy to re-install. However, I'm not really big on the idea of tapping the screw holes for an M4, and it doesn't look like the Torx screws that the 611 uses are standard issue. I'm trying my hand to designing a vacuum adapter that doesn't rely on these screws for mounting.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:31 pm

I found some of these exact screws in my random screw bin. I think they are used on furniture. Give Home Depot or Lowes a try.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

tom4writer

Post by tom4writer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Has anyone been running the 611 with deflector a lot ? Curious if the deflector impacts the cooling of the device long term ??

Thanks

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:37 pm

To answer a few questions...

The screws that hold the spindle lock in place are #8 pan head sheet metal screws. I use 3/4" long ones for my dust shoe.

I have been using my dust shoe / diverter for over 200 hours of actual cutting and have not had any problems. I did have to replace the brushes at about 180 hours.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

veng1

Post by veng1 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:05 pm

I specifically used #8 X 3/4" sheet metal screws from HomeDepot: Everbilt PN 806381.

Probably the same ones as I.C.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-8-x ... /204275203

I printed an air diverter to maximize the opening for the LEDs as a starting point.

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:44 pm

I had to modify this file pretty heavily for my needs. I am not a fan of the way this file was generated; I'll readily admit I have zero desire to learn SCAD, especially since you can't export in a file format compatible with ANY OTHER CAD PROGRAM ON THE PLANET. And yes, I tried. Supposedly FreeCAD loads SCAD files (not this one apparently) and can export to .STEP or .IGES, but in this case I took the .STL and imported into Solidworks, which is always far, far, far, far from ideal.

Anyway, I increased the center hole size to allow for sufficient clearance around the collet and mirrored the attachment holes to allow for fitting on a rotated DNP611. A new .STL file is attached. I'm headed over to thingiverse to attempt to upload the Solidworks, .STEP and Makerware files since they are all too large for here.
Attachments
dw611_dustdeflector_vacuum.zip
(48.88 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:57 pm

CAD and Makerware files over here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:973284

dvdsnyd

Post by dvdsnyd » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:13 am

Improbable Construct wrote:To answer a few questions...

The screws that hold the spindle lock in place are #8 pan head sheet metal screws. I use 3/4" long ones for my dust shoe.

I have been using my dust shoe / diverter for over 200 hours of actual cutting and have not had any problems. I did have to replace the brushes at about 180 hours.
I've been looking to create a dust shoe for my SO3 with Dewalt 611 router. I bought some #8 pan head sheet metal screws locally at a big box store the other day. They are not a direct replacement to the screws that currently hold in the spindle lock. They are bigger in diameter, and the thread pitch does not line up either. The current screws look to be metric, 4 mm sheet metal screws by my measurements and research. Are you just allowing the #8 pan head sheet metal screws to create new threads as you drive them into the existing spindle lock holes? Or is my router different from yours, in that the #8 pan head is a direct replacement for you?
Thanks!
Dave

vishnubob

Post by vishnubob » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:55 am

samc99us wrote:I had to modify this file pretty heavily for my needs. I am not a fan of the way this file was generated; I'll readily admit I have zero desire to learn SCAD, especially since you can't export in a file format compatible with ANY OTHER CAD PROGRAM ON THE PLANET. And yes, I tried. Supposedly FreeCAD loads SCAD files (not this one apparently) and can export to .STEP or .IGES, but in this case I took the .STL and imported into Solidworks, which is always far, far, far, far from ideal.

Anyway, I increased the center hole size to allow for sufficient clearance around the collet and mirrored the attachment holes to allow for fitting on a rotated DNP611. A new .STL file is attached. I'm headed over to thingiverse to attempt to upload the Solidworks, .STEP and Makerware files since they are all too large for here.
Thanks for posting your modifications, it's awesome to see folks are using and remixing my model. I wanted to follow-up on your comment about CAD. I completely agree, OpenSCAD is not for everyone -- but I can't afford Solidworks. Since I have a background in computer programming, I find OpenSCAD a perfect fit for my minimal modeling needs; but I didn't write the OpenSCAD source, I wrote a python program that generated that source. If folks reading this wish to modify the model, but don't feel like editing the STL, consider manipulating the original python program which is much easier to read and modify.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:27 pm

samc99us wrote:I had to modify this file pretty heavily for my needs. I am not a fan of the way this file was generated; I'll readily admit I have zero desire to learn SCAD, especially since you can't export in a file format compatible with ANY OTHER CAD PROGRAM ON THE PLANET. And yes, I tried. Supposedly FreeCAD loads SCAD files (not this one apparently) and can export to .STEP or .IGES, but in this case I took the .STL and imported into Solidworks, which is always far, far, far, far from ideal.
While it’s not a direct export, one can project a file to 2D and then get that to .dxf:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... to_.stl.29

(Renamed that section of the wiki to make it clearer)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)