Are Openbuilds V-Wheels identical to the makerslide wheels?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
typomaniac

Are Openbuilds V-Wheels identical to the makerslide wheels?

Post by typomaniac » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 am

Hey all,

i currently purchased several openbuilds v-wheels as a replacement part for some worn out original makerslide v-wheels on my shapeoko. After ordering somebody told me
that they weren't compatible/identical. Is this right? Does anyone have information regarding them fitting on the makerslide?

thanks a lot,

tm
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)

AFK66

Re: Are Openbuilds V-Wheels identical to the makerslide whee

Post by AFK66 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:31 pm

I use the open-builds V-wheels on my build. The open build wheels are made with more material (Wider) 10.23mm I believe if my notes are correct. The Inventables / Shapeoko V-wheels are 7.5mm wide. With that said, if you are using all openbuild V-wheels you won't have any problems running them on the maker-slide. I've had no problems with them so far. I'm using the Delrin wheels on my X and Y axis, and the Xtreme V wheels for my Z axis that open builds sells.
Shapeoko 2 - Acme Rod/Belt Drive, Nema 23 steppers, 300 Watt Spindle - other wise stock
Shapeoko 2 inspired custom build - 1500 X 1000mm, Routakit HD Z and X axis setup, Nema 23 276oz steppers, 800 Watt Spindle, Geck 540/ Soigeneris STDR-4C controlled.

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:24 am

I also replaced some of the V wheels on my shapeoko2 with openbuilds V wheels .. no issues here.
Shapeoko 2 full kit # unknown .. Makita compact router .. ACME Z axis upgrade kit

typomaniac

Post by typomaniac » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:32 am

awesome! Thank you so much! Maybe one more question: Do i really need the precision spacers or would it be enough if i take my box of spacers and take the spacers which are 1.00 mm thick?

thanks a lot,

tm!
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)