Loc-Line Dust Collection

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby CastIrony » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:51 pm

If you're going to be doing a lot of loc-line work (assembling them, disassembling them), get yourself a pair of the appropriately-sized loc-line assembly pliers.

They're like $10 online, and they save a ton of effort snapping the pieces together or apart.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.
CastIrony
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby coyn0839 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:20 pm

I need to give props to hanselcj for posting his dust collection system. I used the idea, generously, for my router. I opted to use a cross fitting with a plug on the bottom so that I could use the bottom "post" to attach it to my dw660 with a quickly designed mount that I cut out of 1/2" hdpe.

2015-03-21 22.11.43 (576x1024).jpg
2015-03-21 22.11.43 (576x1024).jpg (266.17 KiB) Viewed 1268 times


2015-03-21 22.12.47 (576x1024).jpg
2015-03-21 22.12.47 (576x1024).jpg (282.21 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Shapeoko 2 #8311\1800mm x 1000mm rails\ACME Z axis upgrade\DW660\loc-line dust collection system
coyn0839
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:58 am
Location: Northern Indiana close to Lake Wawasee

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby hanselcj » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm

CastIrony wrote:If you're going to be doing a lot of loc-line work (assembling them, disassembling them), get yourself a pair of the appropriately-sized loc-line assembly pliers.

They're like $10 online, and they save a ton of effort snapping the pieces together or apart.


That is a good point, I thought about getting them, but got away with pliers.

coyn0839: How is that HDPE for making things like mounts? I have used delrin for that sort of thing in the past. Delrin is an awesome material for machining and it is strong, but it is quite pricey! Can you tap HDPE?
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.
hanselcj
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:57 pm
Location: Central Florida (east coast)

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby coyn0839 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:48 pm

hanselcj wrote:
coyn0839: How is that HDPE for making things like mounts? I have used delrin for that sort of thing in the past. Delrin is an awesome material for machining and it is strong, but it is quite pricey! Can you tap HDPE?


I made my dw660 mount, using the file linked elsewhere in the forum, out of the same hdpe sheet that I made the dust collector mount from and have not had any issues with them. I have personally seen it tapped but i'm not sure how well threads hold in the material. I opted to through-bolt the mount in the same fashion as the dw660 mounts.

If anyone wants to use the same mount, I have uploaded the nc file (rename the .txt as .nc) This code uses a .125" endmill.
Attachments
DW660 Dust Collector Mount.txt
(54.45 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Last edited by coyn0839 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 2 #8311\1800mm x 1000mm rails\ACME Z axis upgrade\DW660\loc-line dust collection system
coyn0839
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:58 am
Location: Northern Indiana close to Lake Wawasee

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby rtlflatt » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:18 am

hanselcj wrote:
CastIrony wrote:If you're going to be doing a lot of loc-line work (assembling them, disassembling them), get yourself a pair of the appropriately-sized loc-line assembly pliers.

They're like $10 online, and they save a ton of effort snapping the pieces together or apart.


That is a good point, I thought about getting them, but got away with pliers.

coyn0839: How is that HDPE for making things like mounts? I have used delrin for that sort of thing in the past. Delrin is an awesome material for machining and it is strong, but it is quite pricey! Can you tap HDPE?


for larger size loc line its a lot easier to push together. 1/4" i can get away with using my hands with a lil effort but the threaded base peices ive never been able to attach without a tool. definately recommend tool any ways tho. just be careful to get the same brand tool as the hose you use. i have name brand loc line, and 2 different kinds of generic.... and loc line tool sort of works with one generic if i wrap electrical tape around peices to thicken but they are useless on other kind of generic.
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)
rtlflatt
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:11 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby chomdh » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:27 am

To those that have rigged up some loc line for vacuum dust collection - are you happy with the results? I ran my first job using the loc line vacuum nozzles and wasn't as happy as I was hoping to be. I have 2 nozzles with the medium sized tips. I think I need to add a dust shoe to keep the dust closer to the nozzles.

I use a dw611 which blows air down towards the bit and the resulting dust gets blown everywhere. My vacuum system consists of a re-purposed whole house vac with a dust deputy. It sucks pretty good. And yes my wife ok'd the use of the whole home vac (we use the dyson for our house carpet now anyway).
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.
chomdh
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 pm
Location: Bettendorf, IA

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby CastIrony » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:32 am

chomdh wrote:To those that have rigged up some loc line for vacuum dust collection - are you happy with the results? I ran my first job using the loc line vacuum nozzles and wasn't as happy as I was hoping to be. I have 2 nozzles with the medium sized tips. I think I need to add a dust shoe to keep the dust closer to the nozzles.

I use a dw611 which blows air down towards the bit and the resulting dust gets blown everywhere. My vacuum system consists of a re-purposed whole house vac with a dust deputy. It sucks pretty good. And yes my wife ok'd the use of the whole home vac (we use the dyson for our house carpet now anyway).

My 611 dust shoe will probably include an air diverter for that reason. Of course, something like that pretty much defeats the benefits of the Loc-line vacuum. :?
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.
CastIrony
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby TomO » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:30 pm

chomdh wrote: I use a dw611 which blows air down towards the bit and the resulting dust gets blown everywhere.


Has anyone come up with a way to divert this airflow away from the bit? I like the idea of using the loc line flex tubing as opposed to a dust shoe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomO
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 am

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby Woodworker » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:42 pm

I love the air blowing out of my 611, I very seldom have to worry about recutting chips as they are blown out of the way. I just vacuum after each job. A simple solution for dust going everywhere is to build a box, starting with a window fan. Using the fan the back of the box, add two sides and a top. Use card board, hardboard or plywood. Slide the SO into the box and temp attach a 4" to 6" front at the base of the SO. Turn fan on and start cutting,the fan should pull most of the dust and chips to the filter. (Make sure the fan is blowing the right way!) :D
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611
Woodworker
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:37 am
Location: 5 miles north of Benson, NC

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby mortonwoodworks » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:48 am

I am in the process of milling this air diverter for the DWP611 so that my LocLine hoses will work better. I have also chosen to mount mine to the back of the carriage as to limit the twist/torsion on the already front heavy system. I'll try to post some pictures soon but right now I have my Z torn apart making the clearance modifications.
mortonwoodworks
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:36 pm
Location: Central Illinois, USA

Previous

Return to Design Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest