Ring Light

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
hanselcj

Ring Light

Post by hanselcj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:29 am

I have been experimenting with lights and designs to get a good ring light going under my mill. I finally settled and executed a design. Start with some of these bad boys from amazon: http://amzn.com/B00G186POK. They have 4 surface mount LEDs with a resistor built in. 12V DC is all you need to supply. I removed the metal cones with a soldering iron to reveal solder pads.

The lights got wires attached and went into a milled piece of 1/2" plywood. Mine is designed to fit on a DW660, and the SVG is included below. The wires come together to a connector that runs to a 12V line I have for my other LED mill lighting.

Two wood screws go through the edge and help hold it in place on the bottom of the spindle. A spritz of yellow paint helps it blend in.

With everything in place it is time for a before and after!

The camera makes it look blinding, but it really isn't. I couldn't be more pleased with how everything turned out. All the issues I used to have with it being dim near my mill is completely dealt with.

For more details check out my blog: http://kiltedcraftworks.com/2015/04/04/ ... ing-light/
Attachments
Ring light final.svg.txt
Ring light .svg design
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.

Fergyz

Re: Ring Light

Post by Fergyz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:04 am

nicely done! so shat is the overall diameter of the ring light?

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:13 pm

Fergyz wrote:nicely done! so shat is the overall diameter of the ring light?
I initially i had a ring at 3" in diameter, but it made the side walls paper thin in places. I changed to an octagon with a length of 3.3" per side. It means I can't get my loc-line dust collectors quite as close, but I don't think it is a big deal.
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:01 pm

How hot do the LEDs get? Can you touch them while they are on?
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Woodworker wrote:How hot do the LEDs get? Can you touch them while they are on?
Maybe a few degrees above room temperature... Maybe. Hard to tell with my fingers.

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Could you put two in series and then run each half off of the 24 volts already on the machine?

Very nice BTW. And thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to catch up with on your loc-line build! Slow down! :)

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:36 pm

lordmundi wrote:Could you put two in series and then run each half off of the 24 volts already on the machine?

Very nice BTW. And thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to catch up with on your loc-line build! Slow down! :)
I suppose you could put two in series. I already had the 12V thing going on, so I used that. They are only $5.50 for a set of 4, so buy two sets and give it a try! The first picture shows them labeled as "+" and "-". They don't come that way, I had to apply power to see if they would light or not to determine their orientation.

Never slow down! I actually only have one or two shapeoko upgrades in mind. I might upgrade the bed size to 1m^2, and I have a wood burning iron I want to try attaching. Getting a good software scheme for the wood burner might be my downfall for that project.

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:37 pm

That is a good idea. I actually am planning on using LED ring lights like this.

I bought these in 3 or 4 different diameters for lighting up objects for macro shots, but the light spill pattern is not wide enough to work for my macro needs. These project light straight out, normal to the ring, where I need the light to point towards the center of the ring. They would definitely be bright enough, and they are nice because they already have resistors built in and all you need to do is apply 12VDC to them.

EDIT: I just checked the ones I have. If you order a 70mm and a 90mm, they nestle together with ~1/8" between them, and the inner diameter of the 70mm ring is ~2-1/4".

SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

hanselcj

Post by hanselcj » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:24 pm

madhatter wrote:That is a good idea. I actually am planning on using LED ring lights like this.
WHAAAAAAATTT?!?!?!! that is perfect. I wish I had found those first. I searched for camera ring lights but didn't see anything that would work well for a good price. I must not have looked hard enough.

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:42 am

It happens. I was designing a ring light in Visio to print out on a transparency to use on a photosensitive PC board. A coworker who bought these for his car told me about them, otherwise I would have never known about them either.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015