Will it possible to Upgrade SO2 with So3 Parts

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
tekadept

Will it possible to Upgrade SO2 with So3 Parts

Post by tekadept » Sun May 03, 2015 1:34 am

I have searched but haven't seen a post yet , so please excuse if there is one. But what is the possibility of upgrading a SO2 with SO3 parts?
FIrst step would be the controller, it seems thats going to have some benefits, and also will allow to use the software that is bundled with so3?
2nd step Would it be likely you could get just the extrusion and bearing plates, and then use your existing vbearings on the different axis?
3rd step, upgrade all the other bits and bobs
and lastly get the base if there is a need

Just a thought I had , as It's unlikely I would ever be able to buy a SO3 outright, but I could afford to upgrade the SO2 parts piecemeal as I can afford them.

cvoinescu

Re: Will it possible to Upgrade SO2 with So3 Parts

Post by cvoinescu » Sun May 03, 2015 10:15 am

Short answer, no.

Long answer, other than the V-wheels, pulleys, and belts, there aren't any parts that are compatible. However, with enough persistence (and duct tape), one can upgrade a tractor with rocket parts, so it's really up to you...
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun May 03, 2015 11:34 am

Exactly WHY do you want to upgrade a SO2?
(There may be other upgrades that can be used to achieve the same result)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 03, 2015 12:03 pm

We’ve discussed this in the past: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =10#p37491

Getting to a full v3 just isn’t practical, all one can re-use is the V-wheels, getting to a markedly more rigid and capable machine is pretty straight-forward as documented on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Scaling_Up

- fasten the X-axis together
- only increase in size along the Y-axis and use side supports as necessary

Which for a hobbyist should work out well.

The big advantages for an SO3:

- improved rigidity allows for much easier increase in size, esp. along the X-axis
- NEMA23 motors allow the machine to move more quickly, w/ less chance of missing steps

The SO3 is better, and it’s remarkably better in a cost-effective and efficient fashion that an upgrade can’t hope to match — it quickly makes more sense to sell the SO2 or re-purpose it (I would suggest making it into a 3D printer — this may be an effective strategy to make the machine more salable as well).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

tekadept

Post by tekadept » Sun May 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Why do I wan't to? for Rigidity.
Reason I asked, was to see if there was any possibility before I explore the "OTHER" upgrades to achieve the same result. ie Why do a dodgy hack, if there was a possible upgrade path.

Thanks for the Link Will adams, I couldn't find anything specific, and i didn't see it as it was buried in another thread.

No need for a 3d printer, already got one of those :) Will just keep going with SO2 then until it no longer fits my needs, it was just a question to see if it is possible, which well as clearly stated here, it isnt :)

Shame you can't as a minimum upgrade just the controller to allow access to carbide motion.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 03, 2015 2:11 pm

There has been mention a few times of the controller being available separately — I think that would make a lot of sense — and it could be extended to include NEMA23 motors and mounting hardware for an SO2, which would make a reasonable upgrade for people who need the torque or to move their machine faster.

Added this as an FAQ.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun May 03, 2015 8:27 pm

In which way do you need more stiffness?

If it's too much movement in the +/- X-axis, adding supports along the Y-rails will help considerably.
If it's still not stiff enough, you could replace the motor plates at the end of the X-axis with thicker plates.

If it's in the +/- Y-axis, securely bolting the makerslides of the X-axis together is a good first step.

What's your accuracy currently?
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.