Ideas for really large machines

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Dave

Re: Ideas for really large machines

Post by Dave » Tue May 12, 2015 11:00 pm

WillAdams wrote:Mostly because if I did that, the first time I tried to load something it would slip, hit the rails and knock the machine out of square.
How about making a sturdy protective guard for the lower rail? Something on wheels that you can just roll into place, load your material, and then pull away before starting the machine?
(Hinging from the bottom instead of wheels might also be an option.)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 12, 2015 11:55 pm

Good idea. That’d increase even further the materials and expense though.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Wed May 13, 2015 3:39 pm

I doubt it would too big of a deal. Now you have me wanting to make my machine vertical.. It could be two or three brackets and a long slim piece of mdf. Or a 2x4 or 2x6 if needed. And I'm sure you could make something that would stay in place the entire time, simply to catch any dust and debris that escapes the suction.

Have you gotten anywhere with modeling a design?

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Wed May 13, 2015 3:40 pm

And way back when I thought about vertical machines I had not learned about tabs in gcode. It seems to me if you have a decent clamp down system then it would be just as effective as a horizontal workspace?

Hans

Post by Hans » Wed May 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Why sacrifice wall space and deal with counterweights? Mount it right on the cieling!
Shapeoko #1,123

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed May 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Remember those raised-floor computer rooms? There's just enough room under one of those for a machine. Even easier than the ceiling!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed May 13, 2015 5:33 pm

orangezero wrote:I doubt it would too big of a deal. Now you have me wanting to make my machine vertical.. It could be two or three brackets and a long slim piece of mdf. Or a 2x4 or 2x6 if needed. And I'm sure you could make something that would stay in place the entire time, simply to catch any dust and debris that escapes the suction.
Yep, agreed. You're doing something non-standard, so you're going to have at least some additional cost and complexity somewhere.

You would still need a spring or elastic pull to offset the spindle weight in the rotated design... but I think balancing that would be a LOT easier (and less problematic) than trying to balance symmetrical pulls to neutralize the gantry weight.

Hans wrote:Why sacrifice wall space and deal with counterweights? Mount it right on the cieling!
Now we're talking! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Beware of falling parts. Hard hat required at all times.
Dust and shavings control.... might be an issue. :lol:

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Wed May 13, 2015 6:02 pm

I agree about needing something, but it would be a lot less heavy one way vs the other. Although, one could just have the "origin" point down and to the left, so it has nowhere to fall. Then there would only be the need for a rubber "stopper" or two, similar to what keeps doors from hitting the wall when flung open.

Is there a need to have it raised out of the way rather than lowered off to the side? Seems the worst part is tool changing

Hans

Post by Hans » Wed May 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Why not let the gantry lift itself, and have bumpers at the bottom in case of power loss? Still have constant-force springs to cancel force and keep acceleration, maybe, but a lot simpler than the latch. A 10- or 20-degree lean doesn't take up much more space but should make loading sheets much easier (because gravity is helping) and keep most parts from popping off the table when you cut them out.

EDIT: Didn't see bumper suggestion from orangezero!
Shapeoko #1,123

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Thu May 14, 2015 11:32 pm

This might be too much of a deviation from the thread, and certainly harder for a 4x8 machine but I'm curious as to how hard it would be to produce a machine that can, easily (within reason), be torn apart and moved by one or two people. The large gantry should hold all four motors, which does reduce a lot of the wiring to some extent. The large piece would be the torsion table, but perhaps a few ideas above may help.

It would be cool to do some work "on site" rather than make a lot of pressure treated dust in my basement, for example.