Ideas for really large machines

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Ideas for really large machines

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 15, 2015 2:47 am

Keeping the machine portable is neat — my ShapeOko 1 is just barely mean portable by a single person.

For a large scale machine which can be broken up, my suggestion would be:

- gantry, as you noted, this just makes sense
- Wasteboard divided in half w/ rails on either side — the rails would need to be open at one end so that one could drive the gantry off after releasing the Y-axis belts — there would also need to be provision for squaring and leveling the gantry on assembly, perhaps some system of sights and mirrors?

I’d love to see such a machine — I’m still hoping I can manage to keep my SO3 reasonably portable when it gets expanded.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri May 15, 2015 4:59 am

orangezero wrote:This might be too much of a deviation from the thread, and certainly harder for a 4x8 machine but I'm curious as to how hard it would be to produce a machine that can, easily (within reason), be torn apart and moved by one or two people. The large gantry should hold all four motors, which does reduce a lot of the wiring to some extent. The large piece would be the torsion table, but perhaps a few ideas above may help.

It would be cool to do some work "on site" rather than make a lot of pressure treated dust in my basement, for example.
How about a 48x48" machine bolted to one half of a sturdy rolling / folding Ping Pong table? You could use the other half of the table as a continuation of the wasteboard when unfolded... so you could still work with 4'x8' material in two passes. It would be too big for your car, but manageable with a box truck with a ramp/lift or an open pickup... and you wouldn't have to take it apart and re-assemble it when you're moving things around. ;)
ping-pong-table.jpg
Ping Pong Table
ping-pong-table.jpg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 19, 2015 3:22 am

Funny you should mention a ping pong table as portable --- I had one in my basement, it was there when I moved in --- when I tried to give it away, I figured out why --- turns out the basement was finished _after_ the table was brought down into the basement. The stairs were finished in such a way that the clearance above them was so reduced as to make it impossible to get the ping pong table surface halves out.

Oh well, got a new workbench and a set of shelves out of it.

For the wasteboard / spoilboard, how does this sound?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-8 ... /100679100

turns out Rubbermaid makes a decent variety of this stuff --- probably can get pretty close to most sizes by mixing and matching. Anyone have any experiences w/ such or ideas on how it would work?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Wed May 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Assuming we mount it on its side, so the gantry is vertical. Would we want the end plates on each end of the gantry to be in their original orientation ( perpendicular to the gantry) or would it be more stable to turn them sideways so they are parallel with the gantry? Obviously we'd have to rotate the rails they run on as well. This would have the affect of keeping the wheels on the top and bottom of the rails. Does this make sense? I've often heard that its not a great idea to run the wheels so that they are clamping the sides of a rail... above and below is much preferred.

Implications:
reduced length of one axis
potentially reduced z height

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Wed May 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Dave wrote: How about a 48x48" machine bolted to one half of a sturdy rolling / folding Ping Pong table?
Funny you mention that. I actually do have a ping pong table in my basement. I would not describe my particular one as "sturdy." :(

retaf99

Post by retaf99 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:02 pm

I wonder if Murphy bed hardware would work?

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Wed May 20, 2015 6:54 pm

It would, good idea. However, those seem really expensive. Are those parts really any different than shock/strut arm rods or gas pistons used in cars? Those are only around $20-30 for a pair on ebay, and I'm sure they have all different sizes to pick from. You'd just have to be careful to pick ones with appropriate attachment points that fit your design.