Treatments for the Wasteboard?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Treatments for the Wasteboard?

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 19, 2015 6:20 pm

Okay, at least one person has lacquered their Wasteboard — other options?

How ’bout applying the same laminate as is used on countertops?

m.wikihow.com/Put-Laminate-on-a-Counter-Top
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

woodworkerbob

Re: Treatments for the Wasteboard?

Post by woodworkerbob » Tue May 19, 2015 6:28 pm

WillAdams wrote:Okay, at least one person has lacquered their Wasteboard — other options?

I chose polyurethane. Creates a thicker and more durable coat. Also it's fairly critical to seal the edges of MDF.

Since the SO3 waste board isn't really a waste board but a structural element, I don't want to chew my waste board up. I don't plan to put any thing on my sacrificial waste board.

Any thoughts on attaching sac-waste-boards to the SO3 structural waste board?
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 19, 2015 7:03 pm

woodworkerbob wrote:Any thoughts on attaching sac-waste-boards to the SO3 structural waste board?
I've been hoeing that row over in this thread: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6045

On my 3rd design iteration of it, and think that this last variation should work out well --- guess I should spray lacquer or polyurethane on my MDF before I get too much further along.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

clockit

Post by clockit » Tue May 19, 2015 10:50 pm

I found this stuff, 1/2" x 4' x 4' Reversible Prefinished Panel, at my local menards and I think I'm going to use it. https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... -13335.htm

It's available in different pre cut sizes and finishes and is reasonably affordable. The piece I mentioned about is $16
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 am

woodworkerbob wrote:
WillAdams wrote:Okay, at least one person has lacquered their Wasteboard — other options?

You will need to laminate both sides to minimize wood movement

I chose polyurethane. Creates a thicker and more durable coat. Also it's fairly critical to seal the edges of MDF.

Since the SO3 waste board isn't really a waste board but a structural element, I don't want to chew my waste board up. I don't plan to put any thing on my sacrificial waste board.

Any thoughts on attaching sac-waste-boards to the SO3 structural waste board?
I will probably use a 1 1/2# cut of de waxed shellac. The thinner cut of shellac will be absorbed into the material. Easy to repair and will still adhere to double sided tape. You can build it up to the level of finish you want. Try to avoid water based finishes, it will raise the grain of the machine board.

I will make a 3/4" waste board with t-slots routed in MDF and likely thru-bolt to the machine baseboard.
Still working thru some issues, hope to get the first cut by end of next week.

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Wed May 20, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm sure it varies by state and country, but I've found a lot of perfectly good "wasteboards" being thrown away in the garbage every week. Sometimes I see stacks of them. Old bookshelves, etc.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat May 23, 2015 10:50 pm

I fished the materials for the torsion box bed for my SO1 out of a neighbor’s trash. Worked great, and suited my budget at the time.

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:52 am

After the work I am doing to my wasteboard, I think I sill definitely seal it from the lovely Western Washington humidity.

Here is half of my new 3/4" MDF wasteboard. I only planned on using 100 threaded inserts, but I got carried away a bit, and am going to end up using 210. Whoops. :oops:

I only need to countersink four of the fastener holes, since all of the other holes cannot be touched by the cutters, and it is easier for me to just get longer screws. I used my portable table saw to cut the relief for the gantry to move above it, and after rough cutting the pieces, I used a flush cut bit on my router to trim them to match. Holes were done by mating the two original wasteboard halves together with the relief pockets facing each other. The two original wasteboards were clamped to a new half and then I drilled through the new wasteboard using the original wasteboards as a drill guide. Crude, but I don't have a drill press. I did it the same for the other half.

I reassembled my Shapeoko with the original wasteboards, and I am in the process of milling the rest of the pockets for the threaded inserts. It is definitely a learning experience.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015