Poor Mans Bellows

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Colecago

Poor Mans Bellows

Post by Colecago » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:23 pm

I thinking of trying these out for cheap dust protection
http://www.menards.com/main/heating-coo ... c-9502.htm
I got the idea because Edward uses a plastic bag over his parts, but I worried about the bag getting caught in the belt/gears etc, so I thought about putting metal rings for structure, then realized that such a thing already exists with a dryer vent duct. I think I will have to do something to keep it from sitting on the belt, but I think it might work out. I plan on trying to bend it in some type of a rectangle so I can use the smaller size, and hopefully it won't lose me too much space on the ends.

Anyone see any glaring issues with using this? Any suggestions on getting this to work?

edwardrford

Re: Poor Mans Bellows

Post by edwardrford » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Hey, let me know if that works for you! I had the same idea, and went as far as to buy the vent. However, I never got around to figuring out how to mount it properly. Plus, my bags are working so well I don't want to mess with them!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 pm

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 pm

That home made one looks very nice. Adding this to my ever increasing todo list. A "mounting plate" as he calls it for the bellows that will match up with the holes for the belt holder in the new end plates, and one for the motor plates would make it look pretty seamless.

And to think I was just going to attach tooth brush heads in front of the V wheels :)
shapeoko #0057

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 am

Enraged, thank you very much for that link. It's an excellent idea and it should be easy to adapt to the ShapeOko.

A tip for anyone trying this (except Origami purists): use a ballpoint pen (an empty one works even better; or any tool with a point that's slightly rounded) and a ruler to trace all the fold lines, with heavy pressure on the pen. It's best if you trace each line on the side that will go inside the fold, but tracing on either side helps. Then, fold the sheet: it should be much easier to fold accurately. This method works wonders on ordinary paper, thin card stock, and on some plastics. If you can indent it with the ballpoint pen, it should work. For some materials it's better to do this against a tough, smooth surface; for others it's better to have a couple of sheets of ordinary paper underneath.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Colecago

Post by Colecago » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:49 pm

I might have to give that a try. Where do you get that really thin plastic?

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:03 pm

I saw this years ago with the intent to use it on my milling machine, but never got around to it.

I would say you could even use the Shapeoko to carve the grooves/seams with a v-carve bit in some thin plastic.

As for where to get plastic, check around for local plastic shops, sign makers, etc. Many have offcuts that they sell heavily discounted.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:25 pm

I think that plastic is from a stationery store. They sell plastic sheets as separators in binders, covers for heat-bound and spiral-bound documents, transparencies, and so on. A4 or Letter should be ubiquitous, larger sizes may be harder to find. Craft stores may also sell larger sizes. With good double-sided tape (see the article), it should be easy to connect two or more sheets to make a longer bellows. I would tape them together before folding, but I'm not speaking from experience on this one. With some plastics, you can "spot-weld" them together by poking the overlap with a cheap soldering iron. Just don't do that with your good Weller tips! Those shouldn't go anywhere near plastics. A bag sealing machine may work too. Or staples.

Another tip to make things easier: the Origami pattern in the linked article has zig-zag edges that take some work to cut out. That is not necessary: a sheet with straight sides will fold in the same pattern just as well.

I'm gonna get neon pink translucent matte bellows for my ShapeOko! :shock: Just kidding. Neon green translucent matte will do just fine.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

secretspy711

Post by secretspy711 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:23 am

I realize I'm waking this thread from a long nap...

Got tired of having to clean the v-wheels and rails so often due to caked-on debris, since a lot of what I cut prohibits the use of a dust shoe. After trying plastic shower curtain liner (which got caught in the trolley) and DIY paper bellows (too much work / not enough patience for that much folding), I rigged up my SO2 with the vinyl hose linked in the first post. I must say, it works really well!

This is a friend's video, not intended to film the bellows specifically, but shows them nicely:

I only did this on the X-axis. I think for a stock-size shapeoko it would reduce the travel a little too much. It needs about 3 or 4 inches on each end, but the cumulative hours of cleaning it's going to save me is definitely worth it. My Y-axis is stock and just has shields made from dollar-tree foam board.
Shapeoko 2 #5510: 1200 x 500 mm, Makita RT0701