$5 SO3 Dust Shoe

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
swhillier

$5 SO3 Dust Shoe

Post by swhillier » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:47 pm

I needed a dust shoe and thought I'd prototype one first in 1/8" hardboard. It actually turned out fairly well and works quite well for the $5 in parts.
dust-shoe-1.jpg
Dust shoe ready to go.
dust-shoe-1.jpg (161.62 KiB) Viewed 7832 times
There are 4 pieces.

First, a top bracket that sits on top of the router mount and a bottom bracket that sits bellow the mount. The two brackets are bolted together to stay in place and the DWP611 slides through them. I used a spare pool vacuum hose which plugs into the bottom bracket and is supported by a Velcro strap from the top bracket.
dust-shoe-2.jpg
Dust shoe brackets.
dust-shoe-2.jpg (88.73 KiB) Viewed 7832 times
The other two pieces make up the brush. The top piece of the brush has five 1/4" diameter rare earth magnets embedded in it which hold it in place with similar magnets embedded in the bottom bracket. The bottom brush piece I glued to the top brush piece to create a lip where I could glue some craft foam which I'm using as the actual brush material. The craft foam had a bit too much flex so I had to double it up around the vacuum hose entry.
dust-shoe-3.jpg
Dust shoe brush.
dust-shoe-3.jpg (224.55 KiB) Viewed 7832 times
I'm still playing around but if anyone is interested I can post the DXF files and you can play around yourself. I plan to cut a set out of acrylic but so far these mock-ups are working fairly well. I've used it with plastic and wood and although it doesn't get everything it gets about 90% and keeps the mess confined. Having the brackets attached to the router mount allows me to remove the router without removing the brackets and also allows easy access to the lock button for bit changes. I also cut the deflector piece out of 1/2" UHMW with a diameter slightly less than the routers so it can also stay on while removing the router. Having a deflector seemed to improve the dust pickup.

The $5 is probably a bit high. The craft foam was the only thing I had to buy ($1.50), the hardboard was scrap, the pool hose I had lying around as well as some other odds and ends.

TomO

Re: $5 SO3 Dust Shoe

Post by TomO » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:17 am

Great job - I really like your design. In my opinion this mounting system is better than having everything mounted to the bottom of the router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvdsnyd

Post by dvdsnyd » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:46 am

Very nice!
I like the simplicity. Are you doing anything to combat the cooling exhaust from the router? If not, how is it affecting the ability of the dust shoe/vacuum picking up chips and dust?

Dave

swhillier

Post by swhillier » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:23 am

Thanks @TomO, @dvdsnyd.
Are you doing anything to combat the cooling exhaust from the router? If not, how is it affecting the ability of the dust shoe/vacuum picking up chips and dust?
Yes, I cut an exhaust deflector out of UHMW and used the screws for the router lock on the bottom to attach it to the router. You can see it in the second picture.
exhaust-deflector.jpg
Exhaust deflector.
exhaust-deflector.jpg (90.21 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
I think it helps with the vacuum pick up but its hard to tell. I leave it on the router in any case because when I set up a new set of cuts I sometimes want to see the cut live and I leave the dust shoe brush off. Then the exhaust deflector keeps things from being blown everywhere.

BellyUpFish

Post by BellyUpFish » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:42 am

Could you post the files?

What are the other bits you've made for your SO3?

swhillier

Post by swhillier » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:03 pm

BellyUpFish wrote:Could you post the files?

What are the other bits you've made for your SO3?
I've attached the DXF. I use a combination of CamBam and an antique version of TurboCAD. They seem to be able to share the DXF fine but I have had issues with importing into so other programs. It has a layer for each piece, Bracket-Top, Bracket-Bottom, Brush-frame-Top, Brush-frame-Bottom and a separate layer for the magnet holes which need to be cut out on the Bracket-frame-Bottom and the Brush-frame-Top. There's also a layer that shows the router base and mount for reference. The measurements are all metric so make sure it imports correctly.
dust-shield.dxf
DXF File
(71.1 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
I've posted most of the mods I've made so you can just search on my postings. Only thing new is a jack for my Z-Axis 'probe'. Here's a picture of the probe jack I attached to the side of the controller cover and the detector I plug into to set Z-axis zero. The sensor is 1/8" aluminum with foam tape attached to a 1/16" Lexan base. The foam tape gives a bit of cushion. So far it's worked quite well.

I'll post a better picture of the exhaust deflector and the DXF later. Have to run now...
probe-jack-1.jpg
Probe jack.
probe-jack-1.jpg (81.94 KiB) Viewed 7636 times
dust-shield.dxf
DXF File
(71.1 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Attachments
probe-jack-2.jpg
Probe sensor.
probe-jack-2.jpg (130.72 KiB) Viewed 7636 times

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:54 pm

that's great, I like the sandwich design

swhillier

Post by swhillier » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Here's a couple of closer pictures of the exhaust deflector:
exhaust-deflector-1.jpg
Exhaust deflector.
exhaust-deflector-1.jpg (157.08 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
Here's an overview of what is in the DXF and the steps to cutting out the deflector. I cut mine from 12.25mm UHMW plastic using both a 3.175mm (1/8") end mill and a 6.35mm (1/4") end mill. I also flipped the deflector over to do the counter sinks for the screw holes. That's why there's an extra 80mmX80mm box around the deflector. It allowed me to use my G55 fixture which has known zero location and flip the 80mmX80mm piece to do the cuts on the back side.

I used 800mm/min feed and 300mm/min plunge with 2.5 mm cutting depth for the 3.175mm end mill and 3mm cutting depth for the 6.35mm end mill. I had the DWP611 on speed 1 for all cuts. I used climb cutting for the profile cuts and mixed cutting for the pockets.
exhaust-deflector-steps.png
Deflector cutting steps.
exhaust-deflector-steps.png (49.34 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
I placed the stock in my G55 fixture so I could do a tool change between the 3.175mm and 6.35mm end mills.

1 - Put in the 3.175mm end mill, home the S03, enter G55, G0X0Y0, set Z0 with my probe sensor. Then drill out the two 4.2mm holes.

2 - G28 is my tool changing position. Change to the 6.35mm end mill, home the S03, enter G55, G0X0Y0, set Z0 with my probe sensor. Then cut a pocket for the circle labeled 2. I cut a 2.5mm deep pocket and when tightening the screws down there was a bit of a gap so the deflector wasn't level. I added a bit of tape to the lip of the deflector (where the 7 is) to level it. You could try 3mm or 3.5mm and it may work better.

3 - Profile cut circle 3 with the 6.35mm end mill. I used 2 holding tabs here.

4 - Drill out the two circle 4's for the LED holes with the 6.35mm end mill.

5 - Pocket cut out the exhaust areas labeled 5 with the 6.35mm end mill. I cut mine to a depth of 10mm.

6 - Profile cut the outside of the deflector. This is sized to be slightly smaller than the router diameter so it can be left on when installing or removing the router from the SO3 mount. I had 4 holding tabs on this profile cut.

7 - Now profile cut the square labeled 7. Again I had 4 holding tabs for this profile cut.

Now remove the stock, and cut the tabs and clean up the edges for square cut in 7. Leave the holding tabs in place for 6 and 3. I flipped the 80mmx80mm piece over top to bottom and placed it back in the G55 fixture. Then homed the S03, entered G55, G0X0Y0 and set Z0 with my probe sensor.

8 - Pocket cut the two 8.5mm circles labeled 8. I cut mine 10.25mm deep but the important thing here is that 2mm of material be left at the bottom of the pocket. With 2mm of UHMW its still strong enough to hold while shallow enough to re-use the stock screws for the router lock mechanism.

Now clean up the holding tabs and you have your exhaust deflector. To install it, hold the router with your left palm against the router bit lock. Use your right hand a torx screwdriver to take out the lock screws. Keep the router lock mechanism in place with you left hand while placing the deflector on the router and then re-tightening the lock screws. Again if the deflector isn't quite level when the screws are tightened then shim it with some pieces of tape.

Here's the DXF file:
Attachments
Exhaust-deflector.DXF
Deflector DXF file.
(64.12 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 am

wouldn't you want the exhaust from the router to blow the chips out of the work piece, I have high pressure sprayers for chip evacuation just for that purpose on my machine. then the dust skirt on the shoe would make the easiest path for chips to escape the vacuum hose. that's just my thought process, but I do hard materials, im not sure if people that do wood worry about chip evacuation.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:06 am

I had previously drawn up, but hadn't cut a similar design.

Re-drew it, simplifying it per your design, and managed to cut a rough version of it:

On the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... stshoe.svg

(that file may need some adjustment --- check the order of operations for countersinks / magnet holes)

Needs:

4 M3 SHCS
4 M3 nuts
4 round 12x3mm rare earth magnets
4 couplers (I used #10-24) --- if you're not careful about lengths you may also need spacers
4 longer SHCS (and a suitable drill to enlarge holes)
8 (or 12 or 16 or 20+) washers to serve as spacers (or maybe M3 couplers would be better --- in which case double the number of M3 SHCS, but use shorter ones) --- currently trying w/o any
4 short machine screws w/ flat angled heads (you'll also want a tool for cutting the countersink)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)