soundproofing enclosures?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Llamas

Re: soundproofing enclosures?

Post by Llamas » Wed May 07, 2014 11:15 pm

FattyMatty wrote:I haven't made any official readings but this thing is very quiet, I kinda wish I had of purchased this before attempting to make a soundproof box.
While this thread's focus is soundproofing, an enclosure can help manage sawdust and other debris. So, don't feel too much regret!
Philip wrote:I since learned/realized that different frequencies are damped differently. It seems the 2000Hz frequency is absorbed quite well so that makes the high reduction measured more understandable.
It's like the thump of the bass notes that carry through walls while the high frequency stuff is filtered out.

When I measured the sound from the other side of the door leading in from my garage, I was doing so after installing some weather stripping along the hinge side of the door frame. I'm not sure if it never had any or if it got torn out at some point, but there was a good 3-4 mm gap on that edge of the door. It wasn't straight through, but stayed about the same width as it dog-legged parallel to the door surface then 90 degrees to open to the inside of the house. That gap was big enough to let through a significant amount of noise. I didn't measure beforehand, but it went from loud enough to be "loud" one floor up (around 270 degrees of corners) to a little quieter than that right by the door and just audible upstairs. I'm not sure that the air compressor, with its lower frequency noise, will be affected as much, but still... I'm hoping that if I can get an equivalent amount of noise reduction from the enclosure, then it will be just audible on the other side of the door, and inaudible upstairs. Except, probably, for the compressor. Because it's a jerk.

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi Nutz

Could you kindly help me out with the Ikea reference for the box you chose?

Thanks
Tom
About the enclosure i found a perfect box from Ikea (about 40€ door included) ready to mount.
The dimensions are :
-60 cm (width)
-57 cm (height)
-60 cm (depth)
the plate thickness is about 18mm

kayrannekker

Post by kayrannekker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:44 pm

Placing noise barriers of different sizes between two layers of plywood can be a quick solution when it comes to reducing noise. These are mainly used at construction sites to block the noise, so their industrial grade quality should ensure a very good soundproofing.

lenaalberto

Post by lenaalberto » Mon May 28, 2018 5:52 am

I have got acoustic enclosure. Which is made up of high performance acoustical fencing that is used to reduce airborne noise energy in many industrial and architectural applications. With velcro, each two pieces can be tightly collected.

chilinski

Post by chilinski » Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 pm

I've mentioned this before but as far as I know no one has tried it. http://www.greengluecompany.com/ . This company makes a noise dampening compound that gets applied to drywall. I asked them if it would work on rigid foam insulation (the pink stuff you buy in sheets from Lowes/HomeDepot) and they said it wouldn't work for that. Their claims are rather impressive. My S03 is in a separate room that I built using 1/4 inch plywood and Roxul batting. I'm in a condo and my shop is in the attached garage. The Roxul room doesn't do a good enough job of sound dampening, so I quit running tools at 8 p.m. and don't start until around 9 a.m.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Thu May 31, 2018 5:28 am

I've done some research into it and I'm not sure I'm convinced that Green Glue is much better than two sheets of drywall stuck together with silicone caulk or some other flexible adhesive, or even just attached next to each other. The main thing doing the dampening is the mass of the drywall.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.