Construction Ideas

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
SmokyRick

Construction Ideas

Post by SmokyRick » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Has anyone thought of using this combination of things to make a ShapeOko- like machine? This just really captures my imagination.

Start with this type of linear shafting rail.
LinearShaftingRail.jpg
LinearShaftingRail.jpg (8.24 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Add round gear racks.
RoundGearRack.jpg
RoundGearRack.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
And use open style pillow blocks for attaching the rest.
OpenPillowBlock.jpg
OpenPillowBlock.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
I just thought this would make a reasonable machine without using belts that stretch.

Comments?
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.

CastIrony

Re: Construction Ideas

Post by CastIrony » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:04 pm

AFAIK the stretched belts help avoid backlash, so you'd have to come up with a solution for that.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:13 pm

Gonna be expensive.

Lots of different CNC designs out there and no end of discussion about them at sites such as CNC Zone.

Also, once the belts are tensioned, they tend to stay the same size.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

orangezero

Post by orangezero » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:36 pm

http://www.mcmaster.com/#99030a703/=yv5z0c 6ft of acme rod 3/8in with 1/2in per rotation. I don't understand why more people aren't using this at under $17 for a six foot piece. You wouldn't want to do six ft lengths due to whipping, but a 2-4ft section would probably work just fine. The cost is in the nuts, but those can be "made" in several ways that don't involve purchasing $30 nuts. 3/8in center hole bearings are not hard to find. The only issue I've had is that finding 3/8in gt2 pulleys or couplers is a bit more of a pain, if anyone has any links.

The cost of steel v-wheels is also coming down a bit more as well. Around $3 a wheel shipped from the US. The issue still remains some decent way to run them without ruining your budget. I'm really surprised no one has made a rail (via kickstarter, etc) which integrates a steel channel in some way.