Headless operation for the SO3?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Headless operation for the SO3?

Post by WillAdams » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Are there any electronics developments which would make this easier or better?

- small board to piggyback onto CM board — connects via USB
- includes Micro SD card
- connector for the extra connectors on the CM board
- attaches to the front of the machine
- small status LCD, jog wheel, cycle hold/resume button, allows one to jog the machine, home, begin jobs on the SD card

Or should we just use small tablets?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Re: Headless operation for the SO3?

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:44 pm

It may be easier to solder a header and connect a Bluetooth module and use a tablet. Whether this is easy or hard depends on the pinout of the six-pin connector to the right of the AtMega328P and a couple of other details (for which I'd need a schematic).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:46 am

I'd think that what you describe could be done semi-easily with a Raspberry Pi 2. Use a USB card reader, tie some buttons/jog wheel etc. into the GPIO pins and add a simple LCD, then write some sort of script to handle that interface and drive UGCS or bCNC. Script the RPi2 to boot right into this setup.

But to get to "how" I'm curious about "why?" My instinct is to want a less stripped down interface that what you're describing, so I'm curious how this would be better for you? Are there particular tasks where this would be better than a tablet, etc.? Why only a LCD? Why only SD card and not pull files off of a network (WiFi or ethernet)?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:56 am

I’d like for it to be a stand-alone unit for when I go back to moving the machine outside to use it on the back deck in the sunlight — wint has scarce begun and I’m already looking forward to spring.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

mankyd

Post by mankyd » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:07 am

Mine's headless with a Raspberry Pi 2. I had to attach a voltage converter to power it and do a little soldering, but it was easy to do:

Voltage converter: http://amzn.to/1Ga9ukq

Added in a small usb wifi nic and a short, right angle usb as well and voila:

It loads up the ChiliPeppr client on boot, and I connect to it via my laptop. Mind you that this setup requires wifi, but I you should be able to do a ad-hoc connection if you'd prefer. I assume you could make it work with a bluetooth dongle.

There's also an official LCD touch screen you can attach to the Pi now as well: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... h-display/
Shapeoko 3 #147
Headless Controll via Raspberry Pi
SuperPID2
Touch Plate
Hall Effect Limit Switches in the Works

http://ohthehugemanatee.net/

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:34 am

Looks good. :)

As a thought, would it be a good idea to put some tape over the exposed USB & ethernet ports? Kinda thinking they'll get clogged up over time with dust/swarf/etc which might not be great. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:46 am

Mankind, thanks. That looks like a winner. Lessee:

- get voltage converter, attach to 12V output (fan connector?) on CM board
- attach power to Raspberry Pi
- get touchscreen — build small case for it, w/ a mount for the SO3
- see if bCNC runs @ 800x480

Almost embarrassingly simple.

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:54 am

mankyd wrote:Mine's headless with a Raspberry Pi 2. I had to attach a voltage converter to power it and do a little soldering, but it was easy to do:

Voltage converter: http://amzn.to/1Ga9ukq

Added in a small usb wifi nic and a short, right angle usb as well and voila:

It loads up the ChiliPeppr client on boot, and I connect to it via my laptop. Mind you that this setup requires wifi, but I you should be able to do a ad-hoc connection if you'd prefer. I assume you could make it work with a bluetooth dongle.

There's also an official LCD touch screen you can attach to the Pi now as well: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... h-display/
I am planning on just the exact setup for mine. I got the same DROK converter and a pi2. Where did you attached the cable that goes to the input for the converter as I read 23.8V? Also, did you cut the trace on the DROK shown in the amazon image as to power the output USB automatically or you just press the button every time you power up your S3?

mankyd

Post by mankyd » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:58 am

I attached to the "24V input" before I realized it was an input :P. Works either way though. If I turn the machine off and push the carriage around, I sometimes see a small voltage reading. Either way, the RPi is perfectly content. I figure you could just as easily use the 24V output on the unsoldered 6 pins right above it.

I cut the lead on the DROK as soon as I knew I had everything working the way I wanted. Before that, I would just push the button.

I definitely need to fill the extra ports to keep out the dust.
Shapeoko 3 #147
Headless Controll via Raspberry Pi
SuperPID2
Touch Plate
Hall Effect Limit Switches in the Works

http://ohthehugemanatee.net/

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:53 pm

I have the official 7" touch screen, and the resolution make things tough with bCNC. It falls off the bottom edge of the screen IIRC, but with the "pendant" web interface, you can jog, etc. I did some fiddling around and got it to boot at a higher resolution, which gets re-mapped to the touch screen (and VNC), so I've got it running at 1.5x (1200 x 720), which looks surprisingly OK except for smaller print, such as using the terminal with funny colored text). The trade off is that all the buttons on the bCNC interface get too small to use on the touch screen.

What I'm imagining as ideal for me would be the RPi mounted to the back of the touch screen, that mounted on an arm along side the SO3, and a touch-screen-friendly interface for bCNC and/or UGCS so that the whole thing becomes a "control panel" on the SO3. Personally, I'd pull nc files off the network (or dump them over the network onto the RPi, but adding a USB SD card reader would be pretty easy.