Z-Axis Plate Upgrade - V-Wheels / Aluminum Reinforcement

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Post Reply
avatar9
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Z-Axis Plate Upgrade - V-Wheels / Aluminum Reinforcement

Post by avatar9 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:58 am

Just like to share what I did to reinforce the stock Shapeoko 3 z-axis plate. I was getting too much flex and not enough accuracy cutting hardwood. Tapped the z-axis plate and installed two 5/8" 6061 aluminum extrusions to beef up the stock plate and keep it from flexing. I also added 2 more v-wheels for a total of 6. Tested and getting minimal flex at the router tip. Still thinking about adding extra v-wheels at the top and bottom of the x-axis-plate. I will see how is goes.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (253.99 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (275.96 KiB) Viewed 3482 times

Neppo1345
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Re: Z-Axis Plate Upgrade - V-Wheels / Aluminum Reinforcement

Post by Neppo1345 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

I'm getting acceptable surface finishes in the X direction, but seeing a lot of chatter with any cuts in the Y direction due to the Z-Axis plate flexing.

I've been designing a similar mod with triangular gussets that would tie into the sides of the spindle mount; the only difference is that I was planning on countersinking in the backside of the Z-Axis plate and tapping the plates.

Let me know if you see any improvement...it might help give me the motivation I need to finish my mod.

avatar9
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Re: Z-Axis Plate Upgrade - V-Wheels / Aluminum Reinforcement

Post by avatar9 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:41 am

Neppo1345 wrote:Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

I'm getting acceptable surface finishes in the X direction, but seeing a lot of chatter with any cuts in the Y direction due to the Z-Axis plate flexing.

I've been designing a similar mod with triangular gussets that would tie into the sides of the spindle mount; the only difference is that I was planning on countersinking in the backside of the Z-Axis plate and tapping the plates.

Let me know if you see any improvement...it might help give me the motivation I need to finish my mod.
Yeah it works fine now with the material I'm working with (wood). Doesn't flex in the y direction as much as it did before. I was getting like close to 2mm of play back and forth in the y direction at the bit before the mod. Now I'm getting something like .50mm of flex.

Post Reply