Thoughts on a Shapeoko 4? Upgrades for a Shapeoko 3?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Gamble

Re: Thoughts on a Shapeoko 4? Upgrades for a Shapeoko 3?

Post by Gamble » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:43 pm

What I love about my cam software for my plasma cnc is that I can adjust a lot of stuff on the fly.
I can cut something and if I don't like the speed, I can stop or pause it and change the speed and cut again. I can also jog the machine if needed without having to 'exit' that part of the software. Change tooling on the fly too if I wanted to switch from a plate marker to o/a cutter or plasma. I only use plasma so it's as of no use to me now.
Some cam software (mine crashes when I try) allow you to design on the fly also. Without having to go into cad software.
The ability to see total cut time before actual cutting helps too. So I know how long I can expect to be standing there. It's accurate within a few seconds.

I'll be honest about the carbide software. I just don't like it. For basic squares and circles it seems like it's great, but that's about it. To draw a oval isn't exactly easy. Or to draw a square with a radius on all the corners. Sure they can all be done but it's not a very fluid way of doing it. For example with my cnc software I want to draw a triangle, circle, square, rectangle polygon, star and a few other shapes it's click and drag. To radius a corner, click and drag after you draw it.
When adjusting nodes it's the easiest thing I have ever used. No need to right click anything. You don't like a node, click and hit delete. Add a node? Double click. To get into the edit you double click the object. This node adjustment is pretty much the same as inkscape.
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:13 pm

This is why I use LinuxCNC for driving the machine with a Gecko 540, it is rock solid and does everything I can possibly think of, including adjusting feeds and speeds on the fly etc.

Positional feedback will require a more advanced controller and I'm not sure what you are planning to use for an encoder, also not sure it is worth it at this level. LinuxCNC can handle it, so again, another plug for an open-source off the shelf control software that does everything.

Really nice CAM software is integrated directly into CAD...I have a few, but not the one I want (VisualMill for Solidworks). This means when you make a change to your design, the toolpathing can automatically be re-generated.

For the price, I don't think you can beat Fusion 360.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

Gamble

Post by Gamble » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:38 pm

A 5v or 12v output on the circuit board would be nice for those that want to run LED lights in their enclosures without having to run another 110v power cord
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Cutter Compensation in the controller code would be AWESOME. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Steel V Wheels, partial steel rail.
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com