yet another dust shoe

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
JeromyReno

yet another dust shoe

Post by JeromyReno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:16 pm

built a new dust shoe. i wanted one that i could run my coolant spray threw the top of, and reroute the router exhaust out the top while keeping all the vacuum suction focused around the cutting bit.

i used some brush strip with the smallest diameter bristles i could get at .008 with 1" lenght but they are so stiff they are actually hard to push down when drilling so i just ordered some horse hair brush strips to try out.

the .25" screw in the side with be a twist knob to lock the spindle so you can remove the bit a whole lot easier that trying to hold the button, end mill and spanner wrench at the same time.

the two top layer pieces are put together with 4 3/8" steel dowels that are pressed in. then the bottom vacuum enclosure is held on with magnets that grab the dowels. i still need to screw the magnets in.

im waiting for a few more loc line parts to finish putting the coolant lines on, and the new brush strips. but i'll keep updating as i go. this was my rev 3 and im pretty happy with how it's coming along. i have a few more changes i gotta make but nothing to crazy. i might make a video series on youtube on how to make it so you can make your own. might sell a few too just to try and make back some of the money i threw away on the first few designs that didn't make it hahaha

RoguePirin

Re: yet another dust shoe

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:28 pm

I don't know if it is just me, but I cannot see any of your photos. Do you have the right permissions set for viewing from dropbox?
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:06 pm

RoguePirin wrote:I don't know if it is just me, but I cannot see any of your photos. Do you have the right permissions set for viewing from dropbox?
i put them in my public folder so they should show up eventually. i did just upload them so maybe it will take a minute.

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Nice looking shoe!
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:32 pm

bharbour wrote:Nice looking shoe!
thanks so much! it took a few tries to get it there haha

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Great job on the design. Can't wait to see how it works with both dust and coolant. Very impressive.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Atonwa wrote:Great job on the design. Can't wait to see how it works with both dust and coolant. Very impressive.
my coolant is more of an oil spray than a coolant, i guess the air does more of the cooling than the oil. but yeah im pumped!

sgth0mas

Post by sgth0mas » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Looks nice!

What kinda coolant system, and how well does it work? Using it on soft metals only?

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:21 pm

sgth0mas wrote:Looks nice!

What kinda coolant system, and how well does it work? Using it on soft metals only?
It's a trico oil sprayer. It works better than I could even convey in words. I bought the two sprayer one and it's over kill. One spray set as low as It can is more than enough.

I used a koolmist on the bridge port I used to run and it was great too, but I feel the oil is better at reducing friction and the koolmist is better at cooling. Both have their trade offs. The oil makes much less mess too

Both aluminum and steel. I have some knife blades I'm going to cut out next week that I'll post up. I did test cuts on some hot rolled steel and it cut it with out hesitation, perfect tolerance, beautiful finish, and no chatter/cutter wear. I just picked up some 4130 chrome moly to cut up too.

this was with a corn cob style cutter(roughing end mill) so the ridges on the side of the piece actually match the sides of the cutter.

ajacocks

Post by ajacocks » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 pm

This looks very nice. Let me know if you decide to make and sell them, as I'd be interested in one.

Thanks!
- Alex
Shapeoko 2 #3250