Cable chain

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
swhillier

Cable chain

Post by swhillier » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Yet another cable chain. This one is an open cable chain so you can use it without doing any rewiring. The chain segments can be reused for other areas but the mounts are designed for running the cable chain along the top of the right Y axis extrusion.
P1030324.JPG
Cable chain on right Y-axis
P1030324.JPG (281.16 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
I'm running my controller power cable and USB cable through it and because of the ferrite beads on both of them they couldn't be fed through a closed cable chain. I also didn't want to have to drill holes or re-use holes to mount the cable chain so the brackets are bolt/screw free. The X-axis plate bracket is two pieces. The larger piece fits over the X-axis end plate while the smaller locks it in place by sliding into the wire guide hole in the end plate. Note that once you snap the locking piece into the end plate and chain bracket you'll probably not be able to remove it without breaking it. Of course you can always print another...
Chain-X-mount v10.png
X plate cable chain bracket
Chain-X-mount v10.png (237.53 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
The other end of the cable chain mounts using a bracket that fits on the top of the rear Y-axis extrusion plate and is held in place with a 14 inch cable tie. The cable tie fits in the slot in the top of the cable chain bracket and wraps under the extrusion.
Cable-chain-Y-mount v6.png
Y axis plate cable chain bracket
Cable-chain-Y-mount v6.png (377.78 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
The two brackets use the same snap closures that the chain segment uses to keep the cables in their tracks.

Files can be found on the following Fusion 360 share links. I used ABS at .2mm layers, no supports to print mine. I think PLA will be too brittle flex enough for the snap closures to work. Depending on your 3D printer configuration you may need to play with the snap closure sizing a bit so that they don't deform the segment bodies while also fitting tight and holding them square.

Segment body and snap closure: http://a360.co/1oeLSmg

X-axis plate chain bracket: http://a360.co/1LRPC8Z

Y-axis plate chain bracket: http://a360.co/1Rmvyvs

lorenolepi

Re: Cable chain

Post by lorenolepi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Nice Work!

JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:31 pm

looks great

lowrizzle

Post by lowrizzle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:22 am

I couldn't get the links to work, do you have .stl files somewhere? I printed a few feet of an "SO3" chain off thingiverse before I realized no cabled ends were going through it, so I've been using coil cable loom. I'd love to print out a few links to try your design.

swhillier

Post by swhillier » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 pm

lowrizzle wrote:I couldn't get the links to work, do you have .stl files somewhere? I printed a few feet of an "SO3" chain off thingiverse before I realized no cabled ends were going through it, so I've been using coil cable loom. I'd love to print out a few links to try your design.
Strange the links don't work for you since they support downloading in multiple formats. In any case here are STLs for the two pieces that make up a chain segment.
segment-body.stl
Chain Segment main body
(620.2 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
segment-closure.stl
Chain segment snap closure
(36.41 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Hope it works for you. The snap closure is very tight. The ABS flexes quite a bit so you can push down in the center of the snap to get it positioned on the inside edges of the segment. Then you can use something flat like a small piece of wood to push the snap all the way down. If the snap closure doesn't fit then an IGES file is linked to in this posting: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 874#p62249

lorenolepi

Post by lorenolepi » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:38 am

Been printing these chains all week... and they are sweet.
Working on a X-axis adapter mod.... Thinking about taking the Nema 23 mounts and changing your adapter a bit.
This is the concept... I'll share the files if they work :roll:
Attachments
X-axis mount1.jpg
X-axis mount1.jpg (80.59 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
X-axis mount2.jpg
X-axis mount2.jpg (79.59 KiB) Viewed 3084 times

lorenolepi

Post by lorenolepi » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:40 pm

Here are some extras to go along with the cable chain
2 Pack = A quick pack of 2 (found it easier to pile on a bunch of these on the printer)
2pack.stl
(626.45 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Note: Haven't tried these yet.. but seem good in CAD
X-Axis Stepper Mount = A mount to go along with the Nema 23 mount http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:459285
X-axis stepper mount.stl
(148.91 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Chain Ends = Allows you to mount to various things
Chain-Ends.stl
(228.4 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Enjoy!

swhillier

Post by swhillier » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Yes, I printed them in sets of six. Made the printing go a lot faster.

I need to do some re-wiring before I can put a cable chain on the X-axis but its good to see some additional mounting options.

lorenolepi

Post by lorenolepi » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:49 pm

I printed out the different models I posted... I'm going to mod the x-stepper mount so that it goes on top rather then the bottom of the nema mount. This way the height is appox. the same as the cable chain bracket found with http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1224470/#files. The end chains worked mint.. I connected it to the electronics cover.I will most likely redo the nema mount as well... stay tuned

lorenolepi

Post by lorenolepi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:45 am

Heres how the axis looks with your cable chains and my x-axis adapters
415.jpg
415.jpg (209.64 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
Updated the nema mount so that it only needs one screw on each end and they are centered
Nema 23 mount.stl
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
and X-axis side attachment ( #6-32 screws)
X-axis stepper mount 2.stl
(133.09 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Enjoy!