New new end plates

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
cvoinescu

New new end plates

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 pm

It occurred to me that Edward's new end plates are great, but can be improved by integrating belt anchor points for two belts-on-the-outside configurations.
new_new_end_plate.jpg
New end plate design, with belt anchors
new_new_end_plate.jpg (5.29 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
They should work both with the original motor plates and with Edward's new ones. Let's call the original ShapeOko belt configuration A; the three slots in this design are, from top to bottom, for configurations B, C, and D.
  • A: Original configuration: just use the original belt anchors as you normally would, ignoring the slots. Or I could make the plate taller so that the top lines up with where the belt should be, and then you can wrap it around and use slot B to anchor it -- but I don't really care for this configuration.
  • B: Idlers on 1/4" spacers (with washers on either side) in the holes just below the ones for the top V wheels on the new motor plates; I need Edward's drawing to confirm the dimensions.
  • C: Idlers in the bottom two NEMA23 holes of the original motor plates, on the outside, with no spacers (a single washer between the motor plate and the bearing); this works with NEMA23 motors on the original plates, but not with NEMA17; it may work with NEMA17s on Edward's new motor plates (if you drill the idler holes), but again, I need the drawing to confirm.
  • D: Idlers in two new holes, 39mm from the bottom of the motor plate (mine are spaced 31mm apart, allowing the belt to wrap a nice 180 degrees around the pulley). This works on either plate with either motor size.
For configurations C and D, you need 3/4" or 20mm spacers for the motor. C with NEMA23 is a bit tricky because two of the motor's bolts have the idlers on them, so you have to get the spacers right; using M5 washers, washer + idler assembly + washer + 1/4" spacer + washer gets very close to 20mm, or 3/4" plus one M5 washer.

I did not include holes for belt clamps, because I planned to use my own design, or one of several zip tie methods (such as the one I used here, except without the U-turn). On second thought, the slots should be 10mm wide to accommodate really solid 3/8" (9.5mm) zip ties.

What do you think?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

misan2

Re: New new end plates

Post by misan2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:35 am

the slots should be 10mm wide to accommodate really solid 3/8" (9.5mm) zip ties.
It can be a good thing if someone uses a wider belt too.

Jlm

Post by Jlm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Are there any CAD files for these plates & the new eShapeOko motor plates? I'm contemplating various upgrades to my machine and I'd like to incorporate these in the upgrade.
Shapeoko #1476. Dewalt 660, hold down table.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:07 pm

All the available CAD files I've been able to find are at:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Parts

I'd love to work out a way to add the eShapeOko plans.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Mudshark

Post by Mudshark » Mon May 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Could you tell me what material and thickness you are using for your endplates. I was thinking of 6.35mm 6061 aluminum for endplates and 3.175mm 6061 aluminum for motor plates. Any thoughts? I have been looking at emachines.com to mill some for me to use with my upgrades. My 'oko isn't setup for aluminum otherwise I'd do them myself.
Mudshark
Serial #0054, 2 Watt laser, dual X motors, double Y, ACME Z Axis, G540, Mach 3, rotating axis, needle cutter, Proxxon, 750mm x 375mm, laser cross hairs, auto zero, GT2
Ordbot #201, E3d hot end, bourdon tube feeder.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue May 07, 2013 8:55 am

The end plates are 4 mm stainless steel; my motor plates are 2 mm stainless steel. With the right alloy, I think the motor plates will work in 3.175 mm aluminum -- the standard carriage plate is the same thickness, and it's very stiff. I think 6.35 mm aluminum end plates are going to be fine too.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Mudshark

Post by Mudshark » Wed May 08, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks for the info!
Mudshark
Serial #0054, 2 Watt laser, dual X motors, double Y, ACME Z Axis, G540, Mach 3, rotating axis, needle cutter, Proxxon, 750mm x 375mm, laser cross hairs, auto zero, GT2
Ordbot #201, E3d hot end, bourdon tube feeder.

danimal

Post by danimal » Tue May 14, 2013 11:49 am

Seriously someone better ban this ass hat before he gets to every thread on here. ^^
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am

I wonder if it couldn't be caused by a virus --- has anyone investigated who's doing it from where?

Would it be possible to force new users into moderation if their post includes a link? Seems the easiest solution, though I mislike it.

An alternative would be to increase the number of moderators (I'm probably ineligible 'cause of my recent tantrum). The brute force approach.

The high-tech solution would be for the forum software to check all links against a spam site listing, then if there are such, disable displaying them, except for to the account posted and to that IP address and to moderators until approved by a moderator.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue May 14, 2013 6:04 pm

I think I have all of them! I'm working from my phone so my toolset is pretty limited.

If there are more let me know.

Also, if someone is looking for mod status, let me know an ill grant it!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock