Wooden GameCube

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Scooby622

Wooden GameCube

Post by Scooby622 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Sitting here today I looked over at my GameCube and an idea came to mind for a project, not just any project, the biggest project I've ever attempted. My ultimate goal, which will be met by an means necessary, is to completely replace the plastic housing of my GameCube with a wooden case. This project is going to be difficult and long and has a lot of complex issues to work out. I hope I find many people to help me in this forum. I have a shapeoko 3 and the goal is to make a replica of the plastic housing inside and out , all out of differenT woods. I just need some help as to where to start and how to approach this

CastIrony

Re: Wooden GameCube

Post by CastIrony » Wed May 10, 2017 9:47 pm

It's been a while since I've taken apart a GameCube, but if I recall correctly the electronics basically come out as one big piece, which makes it much easier to build a new case around it.

Melting the end of a cheap BIC pen and jamming it into the holes on the bottom of the console is a good way to remove the security screws without having the correct screwdriver.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Here's a guy who made a GameCube case out of a cardboard box: http://gameboxgc.blogspot.com/2012/06/c ... -case.html

So yeah, just make a pretty simple wooden box with holes in the right places.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri May 12, 2017 11:22 am

The 'security' screwdrivers used on a GC can be sourced pretty cheaply online, so no need to destroy a Bic.

You'll need to seal the wood on the inside, somehow(Laquer, maybe) so that wood particles doesn't get into the electronics.

But my most important tip is to BUY ANOTHER GC and mod that one instead. You know, so that you can always get your game on during the build.

Does it have the network adapter?
(with two networked GCs you can get up to 16 players on Mario double Dash )
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.