It's time for a metal v-wheel

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
CptanPanic

Re: It's time for a metal v-wheel

Post by CptanPanic » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to get the metal v-wheels from the makerslide store and just use the shapeoko to modify the z-axis plate to fit.

CptanPanic

Post by CptanPanic » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:16 pm

CptanPanic wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to get the metal v-wheels from the makerslide store and just use the shapeoko to modify the z-axis plate to fit.
I got a message from Bart, and the makerslide steel wheels are smaller in diameter. The current plate spacing looks like 64.6mm, and with the other wheels it would have to be 62mm.

northbear

Post by northbear » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Another option is waiting until Open Rail starts supplying metal v-wheels that are the same size as the delrin wheels

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ope ... sts/262093

Not sure how long this wait will be....
My buildlog is here

CptanPanic

Post by CptanPanic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:51 pm

northbear wrote:Another option is waiting until Open Rail starts supplying metal v-wheels that are the same size as the delrin wheels

It looks like they are only sending out the delrin ones with the kickstarter order, so it will probably be much longer till they make the metal ones.

daveczrn

Post by daveczrn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:48 pm

sorry for the delay, still without power from hurricane sandy.

i measured 6 bearings, measuring both inner and outer races. measurements taken in inches.

bearing #, outer race, inner race.
bearing 1 = .1953" .1961"
bearing 2 = .1953" .1955"
bearing 3 = .1958" .1963"
bearing 4 = .1947" .1966"
bearing 5 = .1955" .1958"
bearing 6 = .1957" .1964"

as you can see in every bearing the inner race is wider than the outer race. unfortunately because of the quality of the bearing the numbers are really all over the place. This is designed that way so that two bearings should be able to ride against each other on the same shaft without friction of the outer races touching.i believe the bearings we get are a low enough quality that there is more play in the bearings internals that would allow the two outer races to touch and cause friction between the two bearings. this may work to our advantage though as pushing the two bearings together will remove some of the slop in out bearings.

northbear

Post by northbear » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:37 pm

CptanPanic wrote:
northbear wrote:Another option is waiting until Open Rail starts supplying metal v-wheels that are the same size as the delrin wheels

It looks like they are only sending out the delrin ones with the kickstarter order, so it will probably be much longer till they make the metal ones.

Just FYI for those looking for metal V wheels, Open Builds is taking orders for a metal v-wheel kit for $5.75

The Kit Includes:

(1) Dual V Wheel – Chrome Steel (30~40 HRC)
(2) Ball Bearings – 625 2RS
(1) Precision Shim
(1) 1/4″ Aluminum Spacer
(1) M5 * 25mm Buttonhead Screw
(1) Lock Nut with Nylon Insert

Price seems good for what you get.

link --> http://www.openbuilds.com/OpenBuilds_St ... rome-steel
My buildlog is here

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:10 pm

The price looks good on those. I wonder how they will fair compared to the delrin variety? Obviously they'll be harder and less prone to the deformation and wear the delrin wheels might have. but I wonder if they'll have the same issues regarding bearing fit?

When the open rail is available I'm planning to strap a piece to the backside of my X-axis to see if that helps stabilize the X/Z joint. It's nice that those wheels shown are basically drop in replacements for the current delrin wheels. It saves me from having to design a new plate just for testing purposes.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

CptanPanic

Post by CptanPanic » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:33 pm

It is the same diameter as the standard delrin ones?

northbear

Post by northbear » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Yes,
It they say it is a direct replacement. After pressing in the bearings the overall width is the same.
METAL.PNG
METAL.PNG (101.22 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
DELRIN.PNG
DELRIN.PNG (77.2 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
And for reference the Open Build delrin bearing
DELRIN - OPENBUILD.PNG
DELRIN - OPENBUILD.PNG (77.23 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
My buildlog is here

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:08 am

My question is how will the bearings be a friction fit into aluminum? The delrin allows for some 'give' when you're pushing the bearings in, but with aluminum, the tolerance is going to have to be dead nuts. I didn't see on the print it calling for press fit, so I guess I'm worried about that.

Either way, it's definitely worth a shot. I'm in for enough to try it on the X axis. Im' guessing that will all metal connectors (bolts, washers, spacers) the joint will be stiffened up significantly. That is, if the bearings aren't sloppy in the wheels.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock