Dual X MakerSlide with room in between?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
T4b

Dual X MakerSlide with room in between?

Post by T4b » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:28 pm

I wonder whether it would a good idea to have dual MakerSlide with a gap in between like this, I haven't yet looked into how big the gap should be:
(sorry for the bad mockup, don't really know how to render nice pictures like a lot of you)
With the z axis stuff turned by 90 degrees around the z axis so the spindle is between the two pieces of MakerSlide.
ShapeOko #658
--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary notation, those who don't and those who confuse it with ternary.

swordfishBob

Re: Dual X MakerSlide with room in between?

Post by swordfishBob » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 pm

It would be stiffer than a single rail, but not as rigid as putting the two rails together and screwing them to each other.

You might be able to run the rotary tool between the two rails, making all rail forces downward and virtually removing any play about the X axis. Combine that with dual Y belts/motors and you should get a good result.

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:31 pm

I looked into this setup and even mocked up an idea I had. The problem comes when you go to mount your Z-axis.
I found that I was going to need a whole new carriage and bracket set up.
It does look like a good idea and I would love to see somebody get it working.
For me, it was going to need too many new parts to be practical.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

loopingz

Post by loopingz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:50 am

I really like this idea. I think that there is a high gain on wheel play to space x bars. I think this gain is more important than joining two x together. The wheel will be also loaded perfectly. Now the Trick is to do a Z as good with a good mount for the tool.
Shapeoko 1. Dual Y 1m with Name 17 (twice lower torque as the original motor). Double Xrails side to side. Acme-Z. Metalspacers.Wood 22mm waste board. Kress1050 with custom holder. Arduino GRBL + GRBL shield.

T4b

Post by T4b » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:48 pm

I have something in my mind how it could be possible to mount the z-axis. It of course needs quite some additional parts, but I don't think it would be expensive (at least if I can mill the custom plates on my ShapeOko, which I can hopefully do).
I was going to try and modify the ShapeOko plans from github to work out the details (and learn how to make pretty renders of it so I can show you and ask for feedback), but found I can't open any of the files with FreeCAD... I opened another thread asking for tips on how to open these plans with software which runs natively on Linux.
ShapeOko #658
--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary notation, those who don't and those who confuse it with ternary.

incognico

Post by incognico » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:06 am

Something like this...? :D
20121105_151711.jpg
Dual X Mod - during assembly
20121105_151711.jpg (463.88 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
I had been thinking about it for a while and was actually holding a set-square against the motor mount plate to get an idea of how far apart the X rails would be if I made up plates without the cut off corners. Then I noticed that the set-square was stainless and the same thickness as the plate.... I glanced at my TIG welder sitting at the end of the workbench, and... well... I'm pretty sure everyone in this forum would have done the same ;) :D
20121101_155327.jpg
Cheap stainless set square put to good use
20121101_155327.jpg (263.48 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
20121101_155926.jpg
Extending plates
20121101_155926.jpg (435.47 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
I have been overseas for several weeks but just started assembling the modified pieces this afternoon. At this early stage it feels really good moving everything around by hand - there appears to be significantly less deflection of the cutting tool during application of a calibrated prod with my "test finger" ;)

Happy to keep this updated with my results if anyone is interested/following.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 am

@incognico, that is great! Better than I imagined it, and really simple to make, with no complicated brackets. Very, very nice.

Now I regret that, when I designed the eShapeOko, I moved the X and Y wheels a little (mostly so that it would be the plates, not the V-wheels, that hit the hard stops). Now I can't use the standard MakerSlide carriage plate with my motor plates to create this configuration -- it would have to be another motor plate.

:idea: Writing this, though, I got an idea. My motor plates look like this and the X carriage assembles like this. I could mount two motor plates where @incognico has his standard plates, and dispense with the rear motor plate (the one with the motor and idlers) entirely. The motor would go on one of the remaining plates, with spacers, in the upper set of holes. None of the idler configurations work, but that's a minor issue -- @incognico heroically welded bits of metal to his plates; I should be able to muster the courage and determination to drill a couple of holes.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

loopingz

Post by loopingz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 pm

@incognico: that is excellent and your welding abilities are super great too. That should stiffen the whole thing a lot. Now only the Z would need some double slide.
The only place I would see that possible: Fix the Z axis on the other X plate. Add a Z slide on the other end and join them top and bottom.
Shapeoko 1. Dual Y 1m with Name 17 (twice lower torque as the original motor). Double Xrails side to side. Acme-Z. Metalspacers.Wood 22mm waste board. Kress1050 with custom holder. Arduino GRBL + GRBL shield.

minorthreat

Post by minorthreat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Awesome idea. I was cutting the other day and noticed that the Vwheels have very little resistance to moment. I'm going to use this idea but on the V1 plates, ie 2x makerslides side by side, with the carriage overhung on one of them.

Also, nice tinyg.

bmxeroh

Post by bmxeroh » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 am

@incognico - What are your dimensions between the centerlines of opposing holes for the makerslide bolts? Seems like it may be a tight fit (or no fit) for anything larger than a dremel.