Inventables is accepting pre-orders ORD Bot Hadron 3D printe

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
alpha

Inventables is accepting pre-orders ORD Bot Hadron 3D printe

Post by alpha » Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 pm

It may break this forum rules, however I think this is still acceptably:
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... l-platform
This is the same system like ShapeOko, 27 days and counting down... if 100 kits are sold the factory will start - 70 days later the kit will ship. The only thing I don't like is that unlike Kickstarter the credit card is charged the same day you put the order in (if there would be something special for ordering now I would, but I don't see the advantage). I know the interest rates are down... but still. Anyway I think a Makerslide compatible 3d printer will compliment my ShapeOko nicely. Same system, same spare parts - easy to manage. Btw - I'm not related to anything, just a consumer that wants to make sure it get at least 100 units sold.

lasershark1

Re: Inventables is accepting pre-orders ORD Bot Hadron 3D pr

Post by lasershark1 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Thats REALLY frickin expensive for just the mechanics. It's not a lot more complicated than Shapeoko is, and it's twice the cost. I'm all for profit - I'm a raging capatalist, but I have a hard time justifying that. Heck, with a few small mods you can turn Shapeoko into a 3d printer.

Not "bashing" the cost, just stating I wouldnt be caught dead spending that much when you can mod a $200 Shapeoko kit into doing the same thing.

alpha

Post by alpha » Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 pm

This is an open source project as well, the BOM http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/i ... tNo=D30060 is published. As far as I know BD did sell the first 100 kits for $350... and I think you get 4 stepper motors as well. I think it is a OK price.
I guess the biggest issue with the ShapeOko as a 3d printer would be the 3" max Z... but I guess you could still print flat stuff.

sea2stars

Post by sea2stars » Fri May 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Yeah, I think it's an OK price as well.

I'm thinking the Hadron will have results that are on par with the Ultimaker.

I'd love to jump on this too, but a 3D printer is just way beyond my means at the moment; between the added electronics, heated platform, extrusion head, etc.

Sigh. Maybe when I have a full-time job again.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri May 04, 2012 4:16 pm

I have an ORDbot quantum (the little guy).

The prototype I saw at ORDcamp was made with acrylic, but the production unit (like the one I have) is made from anodized aluminum. The aluminum is 'dipped' in a cool blue color and the whole setup looks awesome! I think the handle is a nice touch. When you see one in person all you want to do is pick it up.

The build was unbelievably easy. From the time I got the box unpacked until the machine was fully assembled (mechanical only) was roughly an hour. I was moving casually and enjoying a delicious ale in the process. Given the fact that most of you have assembled, or will assemble a shapeoko, you'd feed pretty comfortable with the ORDbot parts.

With all that said (maybe this should be a new thread) the majority of parts could be cut on the Shapeoko. A couple of thoughts about that idea:
- Material could be acrylic (for cost purposes and ease of sourcing).
- You'd still need to pickup the standard makerslide components (v-wheels, smooth idlers, extrusions)
- The part that holds the extruder has a 90D bend.
- Source 'purchased' components: rigid couplers, z-axis lead nuts, mxl belting, mxl pulleys, threaded rod, hardware, nema14 stepper motors, probably more that I've forgotten about

I'd be interested to see what the cost of the 'self source' approach would be compared to the cost of the $399 kit.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 pm

check out the results people are getting right out of the box, with little tuning, on the buildlog forums. I'm building my Hadron right now, and the kit is fantastic. Individually labelled and bagged parts, nice quality fasteners, all the metal parts are plated/anodized, overall a very professional kit. The Hadron also has a lot more custom metal parts than the Shapeoko (Shapeoko has 2 or 3, the 3 identical motor plates, and the 2 end plates, and the 1 Makerslide carriage plate) so that adds a lot to the cost.

You can't compare this to a reprap, you have to compare it to one of the higher end machines like the Ultimaker. It's also pretty cheap to get running, $399 for this kit + $200 for a Makerbot MK7 extruder + $100-150 on electronics (I'm using an Azteeg X1 and the quality on that part is top notch too).

In my opinion, this is good deal.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sat May 05, 2012 9:51 pm

I should have mentioned. The mount I designed for my PJ Spindle (cnconabudget spindle) was printed on an ORDbot. Here's the photo set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardford ... 091150946/

Here's an image from the set.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

MLange

Post by MLange » Sun May 06, 2012 12:28 am

I still think we just need an extruder head to swap out the Dremel with :mrgreen:
Shapeoko #280 (Inventables Batch #1)

sea2stars

Post by sea2stars » Sun May 06, 2012 3:13 am

Well.. if it could fabricate a doghouse, about the size that I'd be relegated to by the wife, then I'd get a kit.

I may look into sourcing components myself once I have the capability to cut my own parts with the Shapeoko.

Hrm. Just realizing that I'd need another 2000mm section of Makerslide or sacrifice what I had planned on extending the Shpeoko with.

MLange

Post by MLange » Sun May 06, 2012 3:59 am

sea2stars wrote:Hrm. Just realizing that I'd need another 2000mm section of Makerslide or sacrifice what I had planned on extending the Shpeoko with.
I'd imagine they'll do another batch of it in the near future 8-)
Shapeoko #280 (Inventables Batch #1)