Upgrade parts for shapeoko 2

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
Improbable Construct

Upgrade parts for shapeoko 2

Post by Improbable Construct » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Hey everybody,

I will be offering the following upgrade parts for the Shapeoko 2:
ACME screw Z axis kit for Shapeoko 2
NEMA 23 mounting kit for Shapeoko 2 Z axis
DW660 mounts for Shapeoko 2
Mid-span support kit for extended Shapeoko 2

I plan to start taking orders for the new parts on December 13th and start shipping on Monday the 16th.
I had hoped to have everything ready before the Shapeoko 2 kits started shipping but Inventables got ahead of me. :)
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Upgrade parts for shapeoko 2

Post by WillAdams » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Very cool!

(You'll have me regretting my intention to leave my SO2 stock)

Looking forward to the designs, and wondering what other things might turn up. Things I'm wondering about:

- some sort of clips or mechanical attachment to go in-between the Dual-MakerSlide on the X-axis (or the correct spacer(s) to use to eliminate the gap between the extrusions)

- would it be feasible to just drive the Spindle Carriage Assembly all the way down and off and then replace it w/ a second assembly which already has a spindle mounted? How many starts does the M8 threaded rod have? Would this cause excessive wear of the Delrin nut? Would it be too likely to result in one cross-threading the nut?

- are the belt anchors supposed to interfere w/ the travel of the gantry and limit the work area? --- what can be done about that (is grinding off a bit of one side as BotDoc did ( http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 743#p16743 ) safe?)

- would it be okay to put the top bolt for the Y-axis MakerSlide through the top-central round hole (above the belt anchor slot) thus gaining some additional Z-height?

- we still need to come up w/ some nifty plan for a slide out tray or something to enclose the Arduino --- hopefully will have time to try something like that out this weekend.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Shoot, wish I read this early, I should have added some Makerslide to my second Inventables order for an extended Y-axis with the support plates.

I'll be ordering the NEMA23 mounting plate and likely ACME Screw Z-axis drive when they become available. Inventables is beating me too, I haven't ordered limit switches, homing switches or some additional connectors, and my NEMA17 motor is in la-la land somewhere between hong kong and here.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:19 pm

WillAdams wrote:some sort of clips or mechanical attachment to go in-between the Dual-MakerSlide on the X-axis (or the correct spacer(s) to use to eliminate the gap between the extrusions)
FWIW, I use M3 x 20 hex socket cap screws (with M3 washers) through holes in one piece of MakerSlide, into M3 insertion nuts (Misumi p/n HNKK5-3) in the slot of the opposite piece. I drill a 3 mm hole every 120-150 mm of rail, into the bottom of the single T-slot on the face with the Vs, through the core. The front rail has its slot in the lower position, the back rail in the upper position, so each grips the other one. The result is very stiff, and the holes are easy to drill and their position not critical at all. Also, it's not nearly as final as gluing: if you didn't get the two rails perfectly aligned from the first try, you can loosen the screws and try again.

Of course, this gives you no space at all between the rails, so no adjustment to make the rail fit the carriage. You have to make the carriage fit the rail instead: you have to figure out the spacer and washer combination that works. This is also true of any clip or other rigid connection between the rails.

A V-wheel assembly is, in theory, 11 mm thick, and the distance between the Vs of the back-to-back rails is, in theory, 40 mm, so you need exactly 29 mm of spacer and washer in between. I get there with one 25.4 mm spacer and some washers. M5 Form A washers are nominally 1 mm thick (actual thickness varies, usually around 0.95 mm) and Form B washers are nominally 0.8 mm thick (usually around 0.75 mm). It's not difficult to find a combination that adds up to the actual distance needed, but it requires some patience and experimentation (put two V-wheels with some washers and a spacer on a bolt, tighten firmly, and see how it rides on the rail; disassemble, replace/remove/add washers, repeat...). Once you find the winning combination (with my spacers and washers, that's three Form A washers and one Form B), you can use it on all four bolts, because the washers in one kit are likely to be identical.
WillAdams wrote:How many starts does the M8 threaded rod have?
AFAIK it's ordinary M8 thread, M8 x 1.25 mm. One start.
WillAdams wrote:Would it be too likely to result in one cross-threading the nut?
The carriage would be constrained near vertical by the MakerSlide, so I'd say cross-threading would be unlikely. However, that depends on how neatly cut and bevelled the end of the M8 threaded rod is.
WillAdams wrote:are the belt anchors supposed to interfere w/ the travel of the gantry and limit the work area?
It's obvious that they do, unless you trim them a bit. I'm not sure whether that counts as "supposed to", but they simply do. I made mine 12 mm wide, and even then, if they're a little off-center, they can touch and impede the V-wheel. I can get away with them being this narrow because they're 1.5 mm stainless steel, not fiberglass composite.
WillAdams wrote:would it be okay to put the top bolt for the Y-axis MakerSlide through the top-central round hole (above the belt anchor slot) thus gaining some additional Z-height?
I don't see why not, although the lower configuration is likely a little more rigid. As long as one is aware of the tradeoffs, the more ways to assemble it, the merrier.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Halfdead

Post by Halfdead » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 am

Count me in when these are ready.

:)

stephenjbell

Post by stephenjbell » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:28 pm

IC, how much do you charge for your DW660 mounts? Are they different than these? http://shop.shapeoko.com/collections/fr ... 660-mounts

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Those are IC's mounts.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

stephenjbell

Post by stephenjbell » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Okay, great. Thank you.

celticbard77

Post by celticbard77 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Hey... Just ordered up a Shapeoko 2 from Inventibles and want to expand it. ordered up some Makerslide 1000mm to go with the intial order.

Interested in a Quote on ACME screw Z axis Kit. NEMA 23 Mounting Kit. DW660 Mounts. and the midspan support kit for the extended shapeoko 2.

If you could inbox me the price quote i'd appreciate it. Preferabbly all in one and each seperate.

btw loved your Hidden Book switch for the secret Lair. =)

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi IC, any idea when the S2 DW660 mounts and S2 mid span supports will be available again? I have been checking the past few days. Thanks.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log