$150 off Misumi Promotion

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
ALuomala

Re: $150 off Misumi Promotion

Post by ALuomala » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:11 am

Darkblade48 wrote: Also, what is "tax" (I guess this is dependent on where you live)? I'm in Canada, so will they charge the appropriate taxes?
I believe the tax will be GST, or GST + PST, or HST, depending on where you live. They will always charge you the tax, as if you were buying it from a store where you live. Duty and all that is dependent on where the item originates and then the item designation. Apparently Misumi pays those fees for us Canadians (or at least fills out the forms favourably to make sure the lowest fees are charged).

I haven't ordered from Misumi yet, but that has been my experience with other things ordered via internet. Sometimes you get lucky and they don't charge anything, but other times it can be a rude awakening (when the company doesn't fill out forms correctly, and Border Services charges the default duty/excise).

Allan
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:00 am

ALuomala is correct on both tax and duty.

UPS says the weight is 3.1 lbs, I should have it on Tuesday next week according to the tracking.

Darkblade48

Post by Darkblade48 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:02 am

Enraged wrote:ALuomala is correct on both tax and duty.

UPS says the weight is 3.1 lbs, I should have it on Tuesday next week according to the tracking.
Whaaaaa...oh dear. I'm afraid to see how much shipping will be for me now. 3 lbs and your shipping was $64!

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:41 pm

I'll update my ongoing saga. Though let me preface this by saying that support has been responsive throughout, so I expect a (somewhat) happy ending.

After receiving my order, I noticed that I was missing 1 length of 1350mm 4040. Contacted them, they said they'd replace it. Awesome, but I also wanted to ensure that my cc wouldn't be charged for the shipping, as that's an expensive proposition given past experience. They told me I wouldn't be. A couple of days later, I got a call from UPS telling me I had an air shipment, but it was being held up at Customs until I could provide my brokerage information. I responded "Uh...". They then asked if I'd like UPS to act as broker, so I said "Um, okay?". A couple of days after that, UPS showed up at my door. So, while I wasn't charged for shipping, I still had to pay $14 for brokerage/customs. Oh, and then yesterday, Misumi charged my cc $29 for the part (after currency conversion).

Based on my experience with them so far, I fully expect that they'll refund me the $29 (though I suspect I'm stuck with the brokerage charge). However, the inconsistency and asymmetry of the transactions is really hard to deal with. I really hope this new portal they're working on comes through, because while the products are top notch, the overall experience is decidedly less so.

In the end, (I expect) it will have cost me around CAD$ 140 to get approx. USD$ 150 worth of aluminum extrusion delivered to my door. Still a decent deal, but quite a bit of confusion along the way.

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Darkblade48 wrote:
Enraged wrote:ALuomala is correct on both tax and duty.

Whaaaaa...oh dear. I'm afraid to see how much shipping will be for me now. 3 lbs and your shipping was $64!
Ya the weight doesnt seem right. I ordered 3 bags of 100 nuts, a bunch of brackets, and the 800mm and 600mm extrusions. I would think the weight would be at least 10 lbs, likely more... Maybe they are sending it in two packages?

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:42 pm

When I first started tracking my original package through UPS, it gave a weight of (don't recall exactly but something like) 1.5 lbs. Eventually the correct weight for each separate package (there were 4 altogether) were shown after a few days. Maybe that's the case with yours, as well.

Darkblade48

Post by Darkblade48 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Enraged wrote:
Ya the weight doesnt seem right. I ordered 3 bags of 100 nuts, a bunch of brackets, and the 800mm and 600mm extrusions. I would think the weight would be at least 10 lbs, likely more... Maybe they are sending it in two packages?
Did you make sure to select "Ship complete" and not "Ship partial"?

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:10 pm

I think I did... I guess I'll have to wait and see. I just looked at the tracking, still shows 1 package at 3.1lbs

Still no charges on my credit card.

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:27 pm

New update: UPS now lists 2 packages, one weighs 3.1lbs, and the other weighs 34.9lbs

Still no charges on my credit card, delivery is supposed to be by end of day tomorrow, but since I will be at work I'll probably pick them up Wednesday night.

Darkblade48

Post by Darkblade48 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 am

Enraged wrote:New update: UPS now lists 2 packages, one weighs 3.1lbs, and the other weighs 34.9lbs

Still no charges on my credit card, delivery is supposed to be by end of day tomorrow, but since I will be at work I'll probably pick them up Wednesday night.
Interesting. It looks like you did not select "Ship Complete." You will probably get dinged twice for shipping.

Also, when UPS delivered my stuff to me, they just dumped it at my doorstep (no signature).