$150 off Misumi Promotion

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
Darkblade48

Re: $150 off Misumi Promotion

Post by Darkblade48 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:36 am

janapriya wrote:IMHO, the deal went well with USA customers. For Canada, the shipping(+other costs) almost killed the deal. USA shipping was around $25. Canada shipping was over $100.
I agree; shipping was too expensive for me and will definitely limit the number of orders that I make in the future. As a hobbyist, I can't really justify spending $100+ on shipping each time I want some extrusions.

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm curious of the price of the aluminum T slot: HFSQN4-15250-1000 or HFSQN4-15250-500. (The last number is just the length of the part) The web site is making me do a request for quote rather than immediately showing the price. And I only have today place my order - I've procrastinated long enough!

Can anyone that's ordered this part please tell me the prices for the part and shipping?

Also, for anyone that's received their parts, what are some of the best pieces/ most successful upgrades? Any regrets about items you selected?

*EDIT, just found Enraged's order summary on Page 10 of this thread. Thanks! Would anyone else care to post their order summary?
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:02 pm

@chmodh - 250mm wide by 500mm length is about $30. Shipping will depend on where you are located. Because the parts are 'special order' (ie a non-stocked part), you have to get a quote request first so they can tell you the parts can not be returned once ordered. If the part were a standard stocked part, you could checkout normally.

-----
I've been meaning to weigh in on this thread and this seems like a good time to do so.

warning: I am not associated with misumi in an way other than the fact that I buy their materials for projects and that the standard Shapeoko 2 uses a few misumi components.

Having a rather unique relationship with Misumi products (making a price sensitive product for hobbyists, with Misumi parts) I can say that to me it is amazing that Misumi is even trying to attract the hobby market. Misumi is in the same league as places like Granger and McMaster-Carr and Fastenal, none of which want hobbyists as customers. Instead, their workflows are focused on and built around providing businesses with the best possible experience they can have, and at the top of that experience list is availability and reliability. They view the hobby market as more of a distraction than a benefit.

The way orders are shipped (by all of them) is a direct reflection of their target market. Businesses don't care what the shipping costs. They want their part, and they want it tomorrow (or today), and the product they are putting the part they ordered into is being sold for enough that the difference between $5 shipping and $25 shipping is not important. That's why you don't know how much the part costs to ship until after it's arrived, because they're not trying to attract you with shipping cost value. They are attracting you with availability (this part ships today) and reliability (if you order this part again in a month it will still be in stock and ready to ship) and quality (this part will be as described to a high tolerance). Shipping is a necessary step in the process of you ordering the part and you receiving the part. As they say, it's the cost of doing business.

Misumi must have surveyed the land and decided that hobbyists might be valuable to their core business, and came up with this $150 promotion in an attempt to attract that market. Or at least to introduce that market to Misumi product offerings. What I'm not sure they realized before doing so was the hobby market is hard! We want the best of both worlds!

We want business class service and availability. So when we order the parts for our project, they get shipped right away. And if we have a problem, we want to know the problem will be fixed at no cost to us. We also want the best price on the product. And we don't want to get racked over the coals on shipping. At the very least, we want to know how much shipping will cost us before we click the 'buy' button. So we can still decide if it's a good price for us.

To us (hobbyists) this seems like common sense. But to an industry that has made it's living for decades serving businesses only, it's a tough concept to wrap their heads around. I give misumi credit for trying.

Because I am an existing Misumi customer, the $150 offer wasn't valid for me. So, I can't speak from experience with orders being fulfilled through that promotion. But I can speak to my previous 3 years of being a customer and say that they always deliver and the experience is always the same. You order your part, they ship the part, you us the part. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:06 pm

Misumi_Carey wrote:Hey... I've read all the feedback on our processes, and, truth be told, our billing/invoice systems are not up to snuff. You guys are right. We dropped the ball in some cases. Keep posting the truthful feedback, because it helps me show the company leadership how we can get better. Without this, I can't bring evidence that promotions like this are of interest to our market (especially individuals), but our internal systems need attention to handle them right.

Misumi practices Kaizen principles, it's the idea of continuous improvement. The company takes stuff like this seriously. Keep on keepin' on, and post the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Misumi_Carey
How about the ugly part where I ordered something before the ship date cutoff, then you guys changed the ship date by three weeks, and just this morning I was told your employees never placed my order so now the ship date is further pushed back

Misumi_Carey

Post by Misumi_Carey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:10 am

edwardrford wrote:@chmodh - 250mm wide by 500mm length is about $30. Shipping will depend on where you are located. Because the parts are 'special order' (ie a non-stocked part), you have to get a quote request first so they can tell you the parts can not be returned once ordered. If the part were a standard stocked part, you could checkout normally.

-----
I've been meaning to weigh in on this thread and this seems like a good time to do so.

warning: I am not associated with misumi in an way other than the fact that I buy their materials for projects and that the standard Shapeoko 2 uses a few misumi components.

Having a rather unique relationship with Misumi products (making a price sensitive product for hobbyists, with Misumi parts) I can say that to me it is amazing that Misumi is even trying to attract the hobby market. Misumi is in the same league as places like Granger and McMaster-Carr and Fastenal, none of which want hobbyists as customers. Instead, their workflows are focused on and built around providing businesses with the best possible experience they can have, and at the top of that experience list is availability and reliability. They view the hobby market as more of a distraction than a benefit.

The way orders are shipped (by all of them) is a direct reflection of their target market. Businesses don't care what the shipping costs. They want their part, and they want it tomorrow (or today), and the product they are putting the part they ordered into is being sold for enough that the difference between $5 shipping and $25 shipping is not important. That's why you don't know how much the part costs to ship until after it's arrived, because they're not trying to attract you with shipping cost value. They are attracting you with availability (this part ships today) and reliability (if you order this part again in a month it will still be in stock and ready to ship) and quality (this part will be as described to a high tolerance). Shipping is a necessary step in the process of you ordering the part and you receiving the part. As they say, it's the cost of doing business.

Misumi must have surveyed the land and decided that hobbyists might be valuable to their core business, and came up with this $150 promotion in an attempt to attract that market. Or at least to introduce that market to Misumi product offerings. What I'm not sure they realized before doing so was the hobby market is hard! We want the best of both worlds!

We want business class service and availability. So when we order the parts for our project, they get shipped right away. And if we have a problem, we want to know the problem will be fixed at no cost to us. We also want the best price on the product. And we don't want to get racked over the coals on shipping. At the very least, we want to know how much shipping will cost us before we click the 'buy' button. So we can still decide if it's a good price for us.

To us (hobbyists) this seems like common sense. But to an industry that has made it's living for decades serving businesses only, it's a tough concept to wrap their heads around. I give misumi credit for trying.

Because I am an existing Misumi customer, the $150 offer wasn't valid for me. So, I can't speak from experience with orders being fulfilled through that promotion. But I can speak to my previous 3 years of being a customer and say that they always deliver and the experience is always the same. You order your part, they ship the part, you us the part. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

-Edward
Darn, you hit the nail on the head, Edward! The hobbyist market was one that I thought was underserved. I also thought we had the systems in place to handle it, but clearly we don't. The thing that attracted me to this market was that there was no other supplier presence (McMaster-Carr, etc.) in these communities. So, I thought if I could design a promotion that could help the market, and expose Misumi to the hobbyists, then we all win, right? Individuals have the right to expect the same service from us as they do from, say, Amazon. We have a long way to go, but we'll get there.

And, heck.. I don't know you, and you sure as heck don't work for Misumi. But I wish you did!

Carey

Misumi_Carey

Post by Misumi_Carey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:12 am

awesomename wrote:
Misumi_Carey wrote:Hey... I've read all the feedback on our processes, and, truth be told, our billing/invoice systems are not up to snuff. You guys are right. We dropped the ball in some cases. Keep posting the truthful feedback, because it helps me show the company leadership how we can get better. Without this, I can't bring evidence that promotions like this are of interest to our market (especially individuals), but our internal systems need attention to handle them right.

Misumi practices Kaizen principles, it's the idea of continuous improvement. The company takes stuff like this seriously. Keep on keepin' on, and post the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Misumi_Carey
How about the ugly part where I ordered something before the ship date cutoff, then you guys changed the ship date by three weeks, and just this morning I was told your employees never placed my order so now the ship date is further pushed back
Well, that's a pretty ugly part, indeed. I'm sorry that happened, please email me so I can try and help if you need it: cstraetz@misumiusa.com

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:22 am

Recieved my second box today with the extrusions. Fairly well packed, but one of the t-slot table plates has a scuffed edge.

No brokerage or taxes charged on either package, so that's a plus. Now I just have to wait for the brackets I'm getting made to put it all together.

Darkblade48

Post by Darkblade48 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 am

Enraged wrote:Recieved my second box today with the extrusions. Fairly well packed, but one of the t-slot table plates has a scuffed edge.

No brokerage or taxes charged on either package, so that's a plus. Now I just have to wait for the brackets I'm getting made to put it all together.
If that's the first invoice you got, it won't have the taxes or shipping on it. You'll receive another invoice at a later date that has the amount (before discount), shipping, and taxes included. Then, when you check your credit card, you'll see that amount with the $150 reduction.

At least that's how it worked for me.

I'm still confused as to why taxes (HST, in my case (I live in Ontario)) are charged in USD. This means when it gets converted back to CAD on my credit card, I end up paying significantly more.

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:42 pm

While it is nice that Misumi are doing this, I think they might have miscalculated slightly. They should have sorted the website first.

However, it is nice to see a US company trying to catch back up with the Chinese.

I can only hope that some UK companies do this, before they get destroyed by cheap (government subsidised) shipping from the Far East.

Combined with the brilliant websites and customer service (mostly cunningly generated by having trivial rewards for customers leaving reviews, photos & ratings - see dfrobot.com or deal extreme for examples) the Chinese have already stolen a march on the rest of the world.

If they ever sort the quality issues, & perhaps returns, then the rest of the world's manufacturing will be in really dire straits.

Misumi and others MUST sort this out, or they will be left behind.

Hopefully the truly awful MSC website (the uk one) will one day get updated too.

For an example of a company that had sorted it and bridged that gap well, try CPC.co.uk which is a division of Farnell. They now open the trade counter all 7 days and late, allow ordering until 7pm on weekdays for next day delivery, let anyone open a cash account, have a useful website with good search, & free postage over a £70 order - and in fact have for the last few months run free shipping on ALL orders! Added to that keen prices on most things, & the recent additions of things like 3D printers and sugru for the hobbyist, & they have a bright future.

So it can be done.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:38 pm

From my experience with this promo, here are my conclusions:

-Shipping: for the hobbyist market, Misumi needs a proper shipping estimator. There are tons out there, every motorsport/auto part site I visit has an estimator built into the cart.
-Website: I found the website okay but I have a background in engineering and parts ordering. For a hobbyist, Misumi should consider building a dedicated hobbyist site with the more common parts. I'd suggest 1 page for the extrusions with a simply dropdown menu for profile (choose one of 2020, 2040, 2080, etc) and a box for length. The added ability of tapped ends, different finishes, etc just adds confusion. If I want to buy 1m of 2040, I want it to be simple to find and simple to buy. Other common parts like the nuts that fit the extrusions (those are a pain to find), brackets, etc need to be easier to find.
-Charges/Payment: This needs to be worked out better. Getting an authorization for the full amount plus shipping without getting an invoice first is not nice, especially for those of us on a budget. I panicked a bit when I say what I thought was a huge charge, only to have it disappear a few days later. This also comes back to the shipping costs. Unknowns make people nervous. Hobbyists are not businesses, they usually have (small) budgets where shipping cost can make or break a project.
-Service: having someone post on the forums is great, so I would suggest having a fulltime service person dedicated to the hobbyist market, rather than taking people who are trained to interact with businesses. It's a different skill set.