$150 off Misumi Promotion

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
Darkblade48

Re: $150 off Misumi Promotion

Post by Darkblade48 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:11 pm

@fasteddy

How much stuff did you order? I was thinking of taking advantage of this offer as well, but am afraid that shipping costs will be extremely high, as it was in your case.

What was the final weight of your package (it should say either on the quotation or on the invoice, I would imagine?)

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:43 pm

It was somewhere in the neighbourhood of 40-45 lbs.

Darkblade48

Post by Darkblade48 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Yikes. My quotation claimed an estimated weight of 9 kg, so I guess I should be ready to take a $60 hit on shipping. At least now I know. I wish the Misumi website had a better estimator...

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:10 pm

I think a shipping estimator is almost mandatory if Misumi wants to be getting into direct consumer sales. It's not a huge deal if you are a business buying in high volume, but for individual users, a large shipping cost can make or break a deal. Even a basic one with approx cost for shipping a certain weight to a certain location would be handy.

Darkblade48

Post by Darkblade48 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:14 pm

An employee from Misumi claims they are working on a newer version of their website that is to be rolled out during the summer. Hopefully, the problem will be resolved then.

Meanwhile, I am experiencing other issues with the website (my card got "pre-authorized" for payment 4+ times...and I was only at the "enter your credit card billing information" part of the ordering process)....5 days now, and still not resolved yet.

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Fasteddy, as a fellow Canuck, I was wondering if you ordered anything that was oversized (length vs actual weight) or did they do that weird calculation based on volume or whatever (i.e the items likely don't weigh 40-50 lbs, but that's how it ended up being calculated). I was looking at getting some 1m lengths of flat aluminum extrusions, but may look at shorter if it keeps shipping down.

Thanks,

Allan
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm expanding my machine to accomodate a 2'x4' spoil board (more or less), so I ordered for a 1350mm x 750mm footprint:

HSF5-4040 (1350mm) X 2
HSF5-4060 (750mm) X 1
HSF5-2040 (1350mm) X 2
HSF5-2040 (750mm) X 6
HPTSD5 (2x2 metal plate) X 8

I'm following a design similar to the one proposed by samc99us.

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks for the parts list, fasteddy.

I am torn between ordering the basic kit, and then upgrading IF I decide I need to go bigger, or say "stuff that" and go big right from the start. I want to have a small footprint and portability, but also want to be able to go big if required. I wonder if anybody has gone a modular route (sorta like a leaf in a kitchen table..... small when needed, but slide in the extra components when needed). I know it's not that simple (I wish!!) due to belts and cables, but one can dare to dream, right!?!

I may take advantage of this deal (order the long pieces and cut them down if neccesary later if/when I decide to stay small) and live with the extra shipping charges (which I would have to swallow at some point anyway).

Thanks again.
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;
Upgrades: 900mm X axis and 1000mm Y axis; ACME Z Axis; modified MDF wasteboard with t-slot
Primary usage: wood crafting (signs, plaques, and ultimately a CNC-made electric guitar)

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Well, I have the original Shapeoko, and its cutting area is a lot more limited than the SO2. Also, I really want to try my hand at making an electric guitar, the stock shapeoko wasn't going to cut it.

ALuomala

Post by ALuomala » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Good point about the guitar!!! That was one of the items on my "To do" list (i.e justify spending ~$1000 on a shiny toy) if I got a SO2. I'm sure one could "make it work" with a stock SO2 (cut half, reposition, cut other half, carry on), but the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards an extra-medium sized SO2, and then maybe purchasing a stock one down the road if I need portability and smaller footprint. I am still toying with the idea of having a stock sized one to engrave objects that can't be placed onto the cutting area, but place the whole machine on top of the item (table, floor, etc) and have it carve down from the top (remove the cutting board area and have spindle drop below the feet of the SO2). There was a link somewhere showing someone doing just that, but I'm not learned enough to determine if they modified the gantry to be able to accomplish this. Once you go beyond the stock size, though, it wouldn't be a good idea to be trying this, I imagine.
ShapeOko2, serial ??
DW660 spindle;