eShapeoko belt anchor plates, tensioner and clamps

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
cvoinescu

eShapeoko belt anchor plates, tensioner and clamps

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 pm

I have added the components of the belt attachment system used in the eShapeoko to my online store, as separate components.

Our end plates already have slots for three positions of the belt (on top of the rail, and on the outside, at two heights), and the Shapeoko 2 end plates already have the top belt slot. For the X axis, or for machines that don't use the stock end plates, we have two types of belt anchor plate: for belt on top of the rail, and for belt on the outside. In all cases, you need one belt tensioner and one set of clamps for each belt (although you can do without the clamps, for instance, by using dowels and zip ties). You can see all parts in these two drawings: in the first image, there's a belt-on-top anchor with belt clamps; in the second image, a belt-on-the-side anchor with a belt tensioner and clamps (near the top of the image), as well as a belt routed through our end plates (the belt tensioner can barely be seen, behind the rear end plate). More images here.
376px-EShapeoko_1.2_NEMA17_X_axis_belt_config_A.png
376px-EShapeoko_1.2_NEMA17_X_axis_belt_config_A.png (115.88 KiB) Viewed 645 times
464px-EShapeoko_1.2_NEMA17_Y_axis_belt_config_B.png
464px-EShapeoko_1.2_NEMA17_Y_axis_belt_config_B.png (100.65 KiB) Viewed 645 times
The belt tensioner is the key component. It allows the belt to be tensioned easily and firmly, and the tension to be adjusted with one screw. Here's a close-up:
belt tensioner.png
belt tensioner.png (162.83 KiB) Viewed 645 times
To complete the set, I've added the mid-span supports to the store too. Unfortunately, they don't work with the Shapeoko 2 end plates, because they're the wrong height. They can also be used as end plates, if you don't need the belt anchoring slots.

The drawings for all the parts are on GitHub (scroll down for link to DXF and PDF formats).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Halfdead

Re: eShapeoko belt anchor plates, tensioner and clamps

Post by Halfdead » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Will you be adding a complete kit to redo all the belts on a Shapeoko 2?

cvoinescu

Re: eShapeoko belt anchor plates, tensioner and clamps

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:06 pm

No, sorry. Having too many kits with the same parts in them complicates my stock tracking a lot. I will fix this eventually, by writing software that is aware that kits can be made up of parts, and then it'll be easier to add bundles like that. But that's a project for 2015.

To redo all the belts on the Shapeoko 2, you'll need: You may need longer screws than the stock M5 x 12 mm to bite satisfactorily into the X axis MakerSlide after you've added the 2 mm thick anchor plates. Add a note to your order, and I'll throw in four M5 screws (choose 14 mm cap screws or 16 mm button screws).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk