Belt Drive NEMA 23 Z axis kit

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
Halfdead

Re: Belt Drive NEMA 23 Z axis kit

Post by Halfdead » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi,

Where might I find the files for this upgrade?

Thanks,

Justin

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Right here:
PS20105.pdf
(64.66 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
and
PS20105.dxf.txt
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Remove the .txt from the end of the file name to use the .dxf.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

groguard

Post by groguard » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Got my z axis all put back together today :). Now I don't have to leave the top off the DW660 to get it to clear the old nema 17 mounting plate. Im using the Inventables DW660 mounts, and they have issues with clearance as others have pointed out on their website, and here on the forums. Now we have a way to make good use of them. Everything is running smooth after a little fiddling. After putting everything back together the way it was with the nema 17, I found that it wasn't running smooth and it kept binding up on me. I tracked it down to the little washer shim that came with the ACME upgrade originally. I found that I don't need it on there anymore. There is no vertical play up and down in the rod, so all is good. Excellent work guys, loving this new setup!

Here's some pictures.

and the culprit
Shapeoko 2 #3920. Nema 23's. Belt drive Z axis, ACME rod upgrade,
1m rails on X and Y, X upgraded to 60x40 extrusion with openrail, Mid span supports,
DW660 with Super-Pid, IC's DW660 dust shoe.
Build Log

SwissFreek

Post by SwissFreek » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:41 pm

The mounting plate used for this kit looks the same as the NEMA17 plate, and you just use different holes for the different motor sizes. Hypothetically speaking, if one currently had a NEMA17 Z motor, but wanted to upgrade to a complete NEMA23 setup in the not-too-distant-but-not-sure-exactly-when future, would it be possible for that person to purchase the balance of the parts (spacers, bolts, motor pulley, and belt, by the looks of it) in order to convert their belt drive NEMA17 kit into a NEMA23?

Or should that person just say screw it and make the jump to a NEMA23 Z axis? Yeah, I know what the answer to that last question is going to be... ;)

oniontalker

Post by oniontalker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Any parts needed from the "direct drive nema 23 z-axis kit" if going from stock so2+acme upgrade?

As in can I skip straight to a nema 23 with this kit.

crazeegeek

Post by crazeegeek » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 pm

oniontalker wrote:Any parts needed from the "direct drive nema 23 z-axis kit" if going from stock so2+acme upgrade?

As in can I skip straight to a nema 23 with this kit.
If you already have the Acme upgrade(running NEMA 17) and are ordering the NEMA 23 drive drive kit, then the only part you would be missing is a NEMA 23 stepper.
Last edited by crazeegeek on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oniontalker

Post by oniontalker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Sorry about that, I mean...
To get having z-axis belt drive with a Nema 23, if I already have the Acme screw, Nema 23 and a stock shapeoko2, do I need anything that was included with the direct drive kit?

crazeegeek

Post by crazeegeek » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:09 am

oniontalker wrote:I already have the Acme screw, Nema 23 and a stock shapeoko2, do I need anything that was included with the direct drive kit?
Sorry for the confusion, seems I misread earlier. You will not need any parts from the direct drive kit.

To simplify it, just think of it as if you were ordering from scratch, then you would need the following:
Stock Shapeoko2
Acme Upgrade
NEMA 23 stepper
Belt Drive NEMA 23 Z-Axis Kit

The only other parts needed that are not in the belt drive kit is a Z-Axis shim and the flanged bearing. Both of these items you should have already from your stock kit and the acme upgrade.

If starting fresh from stock and installing these upgrades you would complete the following steps from each upgrade:

Acme - 1. If you haven't already done so, tap the bottom of the Z axis maker slide to accept the M5 screws
Acme - 2. Install the included flanged bearing into the lower rounded bearing plate. Be sure to press the bearing evenly on all sides until the flange sits flat on the plate all around.
Acme - 3. Place 1 M5 flat washer on each of 2 included M5x16 SHCS
Acme - 4. Attach the bottom plate with the flange of the bearing facing up to the makerslide by placing one of the included shims plates between bearing plate and the makerslide. Screw the assembly together using the two M5x16 SHCS from step 2
Acme - 6. Install the flanged bearing included with the original SO2 kit into one of the original Z axis top plates
Acme - 7. Place 1 M5 flat washer on each of 2 included M5x16 SHCS
Acme - 8. Slide the top plate and bearing over the top of the ACME screw with the flange of the bearing facing down
Acme - 9. Attach the top plate to the makerslide by placing the second of the included shim plates between the plate and the makerslide. Screw the assembly together using the two M5x16 SHCS from step 6

Belt Drive - 1. Attach Motor to Plate with aluminum standoffs. Don't forget to attach the pulley first!
Belt Drive - 2. Re-use the bearing from your original z-axis, and insert it into the belt drive NEMA 23 plate.
Acme - 5. Install the lead screw with the delrin nut attached into the lower bearing
Belt Drive - 3. Install the new bearing plate onto the top of the z-axis makerslide. Don't forget the shim.
Belt Drive - 4. Loop the belt around the motor and the screw pulleys and slide the screw pulley on to the screw shaft.
Belt Drive - 5. Edit your control software settings and cut your Z steps/per in half! (ex: old 188.947, new 94.4735)
Belt Drive - 6. Recalibrate your max Z speed. It should be able to achieve twice the speed.

oniontalker

Post by oniontalker » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:27 am

Awesome, just didn't want to get caught with the pants down, I'm international now, so shipping is $24, yikes.
If only someone else was local so we could share the cost.

Thanks though, really appreciate the time taken to sort my question out.

ammoody

Post by ammoody » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:46 pm

Showing sold out on shop.shapeoko.com. Any idea when they'll be available?