Upgrade Parts!

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Upgrade Parts!

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:24 pm

A repost to answer rca's question:

Yes.
WillAdams wrote:The minor concern some people have is that there is an optional, upgrade end plate design which is to be _added_ to the Inventables stock, so some people would liefer wait until its availability so as to save on shipping.

Here's a blog post which discusses them and has a link to a page which shows an image (and allows ordering, for those who're in Europe, or are willing to pay international shipping).

http://blog.amberspyglass.co.uk/2013/02 ... -shapeoko/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

rca

Post by rca » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Thank you Wil,l I had seen that post and read the blog entry earlier so I know the end plates are available from Europe. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if we can expect a similar solution to be offered from Inventables. Just looking for insight into the direction Edward is heading that I may not be aware of.

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:07 pm

By the earlier posts in this thread, yes, he is planning to release the plates on Inventables. When they arrive is another matter entirely. If it were me, I would probably try to make my own end plates out of 1/4" aluminum (use the eye bolt belt fastener design & you only need 5 equal-sized holes with moderate precision). The ones I'm hoping for are the motor plates that need more precision than I'm able to produce (my 'Oko doesn't cut aluminum yet).
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:41 pm

So here's my quick & dirty open end plate design using only a drill for all of you waiting on end plates (untested, but probably worth $13 to try). Let me know if this works!

Buy this, 4 pieces of 1/4" x 2" x 8" aluminum bar stock for $12.89 (free shipping):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pieces-1-4-X- ... 0734898060

Cut to 5" tall (or don't, the extra won't hurt anything).

Drill holes for 5mm bolts as in the picture (measurements to centers of holes in mm from bottom left corner):
end plate mockup.png
end plate mockup.png (6.25 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Attach to the Makerslide rail and the 2040 extrusion base.

Put an eye bolt through the top left hole, attach to the plate with nuts, loop the belt through the eye bolt & secure with zip ties, as suggested by here: http://shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... =426#p4188
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

upnxwood16

Post by upnxwood16 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Any word on the new plates? Should've bought them in February when I saw them last.

Jlm

Post by Jlm » Sun May 12, 2013 12:44 am

I'm watching for these as well. I'm torn between edwards and the eshapeoko plates. I've been trying to find a local place in my area to cut some, and the prices quoted are just insane. I've had quotes ranging from $90 - $360 for 4 of the eshapeoko style motor plates, and the same for the xrail mount plates.
Shapeoko #1476. Dewalt 660, hold down table.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 12, 2013 2:59 am

Have you tried emachineshop?

http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-sho ... ge100.html

Let us know what the quote is either way --- I'd love to find a source for on-demand ordering of them.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

upnxwood16

Post by upnxwood16 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:42 am

Rough estimate using the eMachineShop software, but 20 of them would run $4.50 each plate, plus shipping. Minimum is 10 plates at $7.36 each plus shipping.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sun May 12, 2013 5:53 pm

See this post for the most current status of upgrade part availability:
http://shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 445#p12445

Here's the content:
New X-Axis Plates, new Y-axis plates

All,

Just a quick update on this: after several iterations of the design, I've finally settled on a winner, and received the final part samples, black powder coat included, to verify the fit/finish is what I wanted.

These have been ordered and should be in stock in the next few weeks. The laser cutting only takes a few days, but the powder coating took quite a while for the samples.

I've turned on the page for both plates, allowing anyone to sign up for notifications.

End Plates: https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... end-plates
Motor Mount Plates: https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... otor-mount

As you can see the end plates are slightly different than the one's that were previously released. I added slots on the sides for various mounting positions, and for using a bracket to stiffen the makerslide (a double bracket works great!)

The motor mount plates in the picture are nema17 only, but the ones coming for inventory include both nema17 and nema23 mounts, I assure you. See those extra holes and the extra slot? Those are for some upcoming modifications I have planned. One is for the z-axis and the other is for something special ;-) I'll share those details once these things are officially being sold.

Here's a picture:
IMG_0769.JPG (2).JPG
IMG_0769.JPG (2).JPG (132.33 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Jlm

Post by Jlm » Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

I ran the eShapeoko Motor Plates and the new mount plates through eMachineShop. The cheapest I could get the price down to was ~$17/per plate + S&H. That was for the quantities needed for an individual machine. Their software is pretty nice, you can easily import a dxf, and I went through all their recommendations for decreasing the cost.
I'll try upping the quantity tonight to see if that brings the unit price down.

Edward, do you have design info for these final designs?
Shapeoko #1476. Dewalt 660, hold down table.