Upgrade Parts!

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
PLHS54

Re: Upgrade Parts!

Post by PLHS54 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:06 am

I wouldn't leave them raw as they will rust

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm no metallurgist, so take the following story for what it's worth!

The original batch (qty 30) of plates I received back in late August of 2011, came significantly earlier than the rest of the parts. Because of that, I had to 'store' them for almost 2 months before proceeding with my initial build. My storage technique was to put them in a plastic 5 gallon bucket and douse them with a half a can of WD-40, then put the 'lid' (a piece of cardboard!) over the bucket.

I still have 3 of those plates, and I've never painted them, and they're not rusted. In fact, they look just like they did when I got them. Now, this isnt' to say they will never rust, but so far so good. In my head, I think dousing with WD-40 is the poor man's version of pickle and oiled steel :-) Except, there was no pickling, just oiling... so maybe that's not an accurate analogy...

My theory is that if one were to continue apply WD-40 at set intervals (or when needed), the plate would stay fresh and clean and rust free. Of course, it would probably be less time consuming to either paint them or put a clear coat on for protection, hence skipping the intervaled oiling all together.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Edward, from what I know, WD-40 is great on metals, but not the best thing to put on plastics and rubbers, so you may want to be careful when using it around wiring, Delrin wheels, belts...
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:41 pm

For my cast iron woodworking tools I use paste wax. Just smear a thin layer on, wait 30 minutes for it to harden a little then rub it until it's smooth and shiney enough for you.

A product I've never used but people rave about is boeshield. I guess that stuff is so good people use it for metal exposed to salt water.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

baz

Post by baz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi Edward,

I was just wondering if you have got any of the international orders shipped yet?
Also of you ever do another batch, how about using stainless steel like the new Inventables kits.

Many Thanks

Regards

Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:59 pm

I ended up running out of parts before getting to the international orders. However, last night the new batch came in so I'm hoping to get the internationals from order #1 shipped today and then open up orders again tomorrow for anyone else who's looking to upgrade.

No stainless steel this time. Maybe next time I'll get that quoted.

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:32 pm

FYI: Upgrade pieces are back in stock.http://www.shapeoko.com/upgrades

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

baz

Post by baz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:59 pm

My ShapeOko batch 2 is set to arrive tomorrow, is there any update on the international shipping of the upgrade plates. I was one of the first to purchase in the initial batch.
Many Thanks
Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Update:
- All orders from Batch #1 have shipped.
- Batch two, all orders through Last Friday have shipped.
- Any orders that came in 8/11,8/12 or today, will ship tomorrow.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:39 am

Hey Edward, Im in the mood to possibly order these tonight or tomorrow. When would it ship?

Also can you link to the 2040 part... or what ever its called in the main post of this topic. I think it would help me and others find it better...

From Original:
"Cross pieces can be had from misumi at very reasonable prices. For example, a piece of 20mmx40mm (like I used) at 500mm is only $5.
Here's the link to the 20x40mm profiles: http://us.misumi-ec.com/us/ItemDetail/10302244930.html "
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE