Upgrade Parts!

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
JoeDega

Re: Upgrade Parts!

Post by JoeDega » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Wow that would be great...exactly what I was looking for.

Apparently I can't PM you however, my account is too new and I don't have enough forum activity yet ha. Can we get in contact another way?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 am

I think the threshold for PM is five posts, so go ahead and say something, and you'll be able to PM too.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO » Wed May 22, 2013 12:34 am

JoeDega wrote:Wow that would be great...exactly what I was looking for.

Apparently I can't PM you however, my account is too new and I don't have enough forum activity yet ha. Can we get in contact another way?
ha, reply to this post and your set.
ShapeOko #1508, TinyG Controller, Dual Y, ACME Z-Axis, MeanWell(S-350-24v), NEMA 23's, 1m Squared t-slot table, OpenRail and the Original Z Makerslide and all Motor Plates...

JoeDega

Post by JoeDega » Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 am

Ha niceee

Hans

Post by Hans » Wed May 22, 2013 2:15 am

A couple of my friends in engineering are interested in ShapeOko but they think it's strange that there are some "required upgrades" before the machine can really do a good job. Will the machine ever get a 2.0 status on Inventables and include a proper Z-axis leadscrew, dual y-drive, the new end and motor mount plates, and NEMA 23 steppers as a package? The machine gave me headaches in stock form and I couldn't recommend it to friends, but if it was a proper turn-key package I think it would be a bigger hit! Especially if you could get all the electronics but still choose your own rotary tool, so that some could get more powerful and some could get quieter tools according to their own needs.
Shapeoko #1,123

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed May 22, 2013 3:03 am

cvoinescu does a nice job w/ the eShapeoko.

My suggestion would be to standardize on:

- drive shaft for Y-axis (upgrading to dual motor would re-use most parts)
- all metal spacers
- motor w/ integrated Acme screw for Z-axis
- belts on the outside and inverted

if there's room:

- dual Makerslide X-axis

and I'm still curious about:

- re-work standard carriage plate to be steel and serviceable as open end plates

I scribbled down some further ideas in the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Mark_II but some aren't practicable (all metric hardware).

The problem is there are a number of factors and trade offs:

- Cost
- shipping weight
- what size box it fits into
- where cuts are made on Maker slide
- specific price breaks for quantity discounts
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Wed May 22, 2013 7:04 am

Hans wrote:A couple of my friends in engineering are interested in ShapeOko but they think it's strange that there are some "required upgrades" before the machine can really do a good job. Will the machine ever get a 2.0 status on Inventables and include a proper Z-axis leadscrew, dual y-drive, the new end and motor mount plates, and NEMA 23 steppers as a package? The machine gave me headaches in stock form and I couldn't recommend it to friends, but if it was a proper turn-key package I think it would be a bigger hit! Especially if you could get all the electronics but still choose your own rotary tool, so that some could get more powerful and some could get quieter tools according to their own needs.
For the price, the stock Shapeoko does a good job. It simply need some time. I'd like to point out to you the actual price of a real, good out of the box, ready to use machine like that. You can easilly add one or two 0 after the Shapeoko Full kit price.

I decided to upgrade my Shapeoko because I wanted to mill hardwood and aluminium, faster.
What I like about upgrading the Shapeoko myself is that I really understand how the machine works. Of course it means spending money, but I do this because I enjoy it :)
The thing is if something is wrong with your Shapeoko, you can't call the customer service. You'll have to look for yourself, leave a message on the forum, and get your hands dirty. It's open source and you can/have to do this (or not).
Hans wrote:Will the machine ever get a 2.0 status on Inventables and include a proper Z-axis leadscrew, dual y-drive, the new end and motor mount plates, and NEMA 23 steppers as a package?
That's also something very personal. This configuration suits your needs but there will always be people that want something different :
- Y Driveshaft
- Nema 17 (for pricing)
- Custom plates
- so on...
That means a lot of different packages...
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 am

I am perfectly happy with NEMA17s. With dual-motor Y (each motor with its own driver), the two motors on Y manage about the same acceleration as the single motor on X, because the Ys have the mass of the gantry (and themselves) to accelerate too. I get 30,000 mm/min traverse rate reliably -- and that's with a RAMPS clone: I haven't had a chance to try my TinyG yet.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

WillAdams, thinking about what the official "Mark II" would/should include is intriguing. I'm going to break that off to its own thread under design.
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

hotwheels56

Post by hotwheels56 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 am

is edwardrford still offering the new end plates and motor mounts???

it's not on the link posted :(