Shapeoko Batch #4

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
ZachKaplan

Shapeoko Batch #4

Post by ZachKaplan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Hey everyone,

Shapeoko batch #4 just went on sale!
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... s-shapeoko

Helmi

Re: Shapeoko Batch #4

Post by Helmi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:02 pm

does anyone know why the prizes are higher than last time? just because they can? :)

90$ shipping to germany is really hard :(

ZachKaplan

Post by ZachKaplan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:12 pm

No. The reason the mechanical kit is a bit more expensive is because it costs us more to actually manufacture than we expected in our projections and quotes from vendors. In addition we added hardware that was not included in Edwards original build like the waste board and its mounting hardware.

In the first 3 batches we lost a lot of money on shipping. In batch #1 alone we lost $21,175.03 on shipping because the weight of the Shapeoko was far beyond our average weight and that is how we used to calculate the price of shipping. We changed our shipping calculator to be a more accurate reflection of the cost to ship the Shapeoko so we are now expecting to break even on the shipping.

ZachKaplan

Post by ZachKaplan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:18 pm

I will note that we lowered the original price of the full kit from $650 to $599 because we were able to get a better deal on the electronics.

ejs

Post by ejs » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:29 pm

That makes a lot of sense. The mechanical kit was nicely priced, and still isn't bad. I think having the full kit under $600 will also treat you well. Though I sill prefer the roll-up-your sleeves baseline kit.

One question: would this new batch have anything to do with MakerSlide becoming suddenly unavailable on the site in the last day or two?

~EJ
Build it better than it was built for you. And give permission for the next guy to do the same. That's how Open Source works.
ShapeOko # 497: http://bit.ly/reactshop producing the Buildlog CNC Stepper Shield

ZachKaplan

Post by ZachKaplan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:00 pm

Nope those were completely unrelated events. We ordered enough makerslide based on demand from the past but someone placed an order for 100 pieces and wiped us out before we got our next batch in from the supplier. We placed an order for a new batch of MakerSlide 2 weeks ago but it is not due into our office for another 2-3 weeks. As soon as it is in we will turn it back on.

When we do a Shapeoko run we add the MakerSlide needed to a run for inventory to reach the minimums required by the factory.

mudestinator

Post by mudestinator » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:51 pm

The shapeoko Wiki states:

"For the Inventables kit batches 2 and 3, please take note that the panels are different than pictured. The batch 1 panels were painted red, which interfered with hole sizes. Batches 2 and 3 have brushed stainless steel panels."

Will Batch #4 also have brushed stainless steel panels? Are there any other major component changes planned (i.e. updated end plate)?

kf4mot

Post by kf4mot » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:04 pm

mudestinator wrote: Will Batch #4 also have brushed stainless steel panels? Are there any other major component changes planned (i.e. updated end plate)?
I'm curious about this also. I'm hoping batch 4 still has the original design motor plates made in stainless.

Colecago

Post by Colecago » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Just a note on Batch2's plates, I had to grind off these little nubs around every hole. I think it was a by product of the cutting that left a little molten ball on there. I'm guessing they were plasma cut?

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Actually those plates were all laser cut. I believe with a 6000w Trumpf laser. Interestingly, all of our plates have been laser cut from that same workcenter, so why these ended up with the nubs is up for debate at this point. It could have been poor settings on the laser, some sort of interference, an issue with the worktable (support), or something else that I can't think of.

What amazes me, is how difficult it is to find consistency. It's given me a whole new respect for companies that knock tons and tons of identical products per year. I'm privy to 6sigma and all the ISO stuff, so I know how they make it happen, but it doesn't take away from how difficult it is.

Inventables has an incredible quality control procedure in place for this project. But, there are always ways to make it better and I have no doubt that as we move forward with the project we will continue to improve.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock