Shapeoko Batch #4

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
ZachKaplan

Re: Shapeoko Batch #4

Post by ZachKaplan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

There are indeed "nubs" from the laser cutting on some of the plates. We tested to see if these have any effect on the Shapeoko and it did not seem to have any effect. However we understand that the size of the nubs can vary from plate to plate, we understand that even if functionally it doesn't matter aesthetically it might bother some people.

If you don't like your plates you can send them back on our time to be ground down and we will send them back free of charge. Email help@inventables.com and we will get you set up.

Regards,

Zach

Colecago

Post by Colecago » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I had to grind them off or not, I did it mostly because I thought it might interfere, I don't really have the mechanical experience to say otherwise, I just figured I'd grind them off for my piece of mind. And if you only grind the holes that are being used, they will all be covered up by a washer and you won't see any grind marks, so cosmetically, not a big deal.

ZachKaplan

Post by ZachKaplan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:06 pm

We are making some updates to the design as bugs get reported and as vendors discontinue parts. Here are the changes for batch #4

1. We are getting quotes right now for Batch #4 and they will likely be Stainless Steel or Zinc Plated steel. We can't paint them because it changes the hole sizes for the motor mounts.

2. The power supply we used in batch #1 and #2 was discontinued so we needed to change to a new power supply for batch #3 and #4

3. The grbl shields changed to screw down terminals for batch #2, #3, and #4 so you don't need the plastic connectors anymore.

4. The screw driver we included in batch #1 was changed to one with a skinnier head for the screw down terminals.

5. We added an extra allen wrench for batch #2, #3, and #4

6. We added zip ties to give people the option to mount their belts with zip ties instead of screws.

7. We added better self tapping screws to mount the brackets to the waste board. The ones in batch #1 were too small to use without a power screw driver.

8. The panel mount for the estop was 2 pieces in batch #1 and we made it 1 piece that is bent with a strip heater in batch #2, #3, and #4

9. We are changing the hole pattern for the motor mount and end plates to account for the 0.010" tolerance on the MakerSlide extrusions.

northbear

Post by northbear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:48 am

ZachKaplan wrote: 9. We are changing the hole pattern for the motor mount and end plates to account for the 0.010" tolerance on the MakerSlide extrusions.
Do you have any more details on this change?

Thanks!
My buildlog is here

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:48 am

@northbear: I've changed the slots on the front/back plate from 5.0mm to 5.3mm. On the Motor mounts, all of the holes have been changed from 5.0mm to 5.25mm.

I'll re-post these to the github repository as shapeoko v1.1.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:56 am

So a $25 question is are the motor mounts on batch 4 same as those in batches 1-3? Fine if so, just curious.
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:00 am

Yes, the motor mounts are the same except the holes have been slightly enlarged.

I'm assuming you're asking if the motor mounts will be like the "upgrade kit"? If so: switching over to the "upgrade" (read: beta!) motor mounts requires changing the front/back plates as well. And, if you change the front/back plates, then some cross members would need to be included. And if some cross members need to be included, then different hardware will also need to be included... etc, etc, etc.

After re-reading my explanation, it reminded me of a book my 3 year old loves!

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:18 am

Theres a sequel to the mouse one NICE!
I actually dont quite get the first step of the sequence though. Yes this is fine, the upgrade ones are beta, got it. But intellectually curious why do the end plates need to change with these new motor mounts?
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

LineKernel

Post by LineKernel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am

hi , i just received my shapeOko i think i m from batch 2 (serial number 567)
and indeed there is some small numbs around the holes
so i have some questions
as Zach wrote
We tested to see if these have any effect on the Shapeoko and it did not seem to have any effect.
i thought i would directly paint my plates so i could handle them without caring about i would put "finger oil" on them and take a closer look at the numbs (also i am not sure to have the right tools to grind them)

so the question is : as the numbs seems to be on only one side of the plate , should i put the numbs inside or outside (inside being the opposite side of the head of the screw/washer) ?

also it seems that the batch 4 will have stainless steel or zinc steel , what is the batch 2 made of ?

also in batch 2 , is the standard plate made of the same material than the end plate ? because i thought it was supposed to be aluminium , and it looked a lot like the end plate material , so i painted it too , was it a mistake ?

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:59 am

dointhangs wrote:...But intellectually curious why do the end plates need to change with these new motor mounts?
The beta motor mount plates moved the idlers "down" towards the makerslide, making the belt lay flat against the makerslide. This can be done because the beta end plates have the slot to accommodate the belt from that orientation. But, the original end plates don't have that slot. Instead, they are expecting one to use an anchor, effectively raising the belt "up" to the height of the original motor mount plate smooth idler holes.

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock