Shapeoko Batch #4

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
northbear

Re: Shapeoko Batch #4

Post by northbear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:06 pm

edwardrford wrote:@northbear: I've changed the slots on the front/back plate from 5.0mm to 5.3mm. On the Motor mounts, all of the holes have been changed from 5.0mm to 5.25mm.

I'll re-post these to the github repository as shapeoko v1.1.

-Edward
Thanks for the response Edward. This makes complete sense!

**edited 8-15-2012** removed link
Last edited by northbear on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
My buildlog is here

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Regarding the belts flat on makerslide upgrade on the new motor mount - got it - I see that now on some pics elsewhere, had missed it and its supercool. Follow up question just curious if the x axis motor mount can hypothetically benefit from the same thing? It doesnt seem it would be a problem? but I have missed things before so thought I would ask :-)
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

ejs

Post by ejs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Looking for clarification:

The new plates will be unpainted (per Zach) but will include the oversized holes (per Edward). Is the intention to eliminate the washers?
Build it better than it was built for you. And give permission for the next guy to do the same. That's how Open Source works.
ShapeOko # 497: http://bit.ly/reactshop producing the Buildlog CNC Stepper Shield

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Two separate issues. Yes, clarification is in order.

The holes on the *motor mount* plates will go from 5.0 to 5.3mm. Paint or not, they were undersized in the original design. The laser that I originally used to cut the material had the tendency to overcut holes, so drawing at 5mm resulted in approximately 5.25-5.35mm holes. However, when Inventables took over and the plates were cut at a different location with a different (read: better) laser, I didn't adjust the holes accordingly. That again, was my mistake resulting in tight fitting holes. Paint or no paint.

The holes on the *front/back* plates need to be enlarged to accommodate the variance in center to center distance on the end holes of the makerslide. They were drawn to accommodate 20mm spacing +/- 0.1mm. Now they need to be accommodate +/- 0.25mm.

Clear as mud right?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 pm

That's very clear, thank you Edward.

I assume batch #3 is already in production and the plates are being manufactured, so it's too late to adjust those. Am I correct?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Unfortunately, that is correct. The parts for batch #2 and batch #3 were created from the original design documents.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

LineKernel

Post by LineKernel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:57 am

so what does it mean for batch #2 and #3 ?
i imagine , it is more difficult but not impossible to assemble ,right?

did anybody from batch #2 or #3 finished assembling his shapeOko ? is it that difficult ?

Colecago

Post by Colecago » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:26 am

LineKernel wrote:so what does it mean for batch #2 and #3 ?
i imagine , it is more difficult but not impossible to assemble ,right?

did anybody from batch #2 or #3 finished assembling his shapeOko ? is it that difficult ?
if your holes don't line up like mine, then impossible without grinding your holes and slots out. But Zach said that was only an issue near the end of the extrusions as the holes would get worse. He is replacing my makerslide, then it should be no problem. He said he would replace the makerslide for people who's holes don't line up like mine.

LineKernel

Post by LineKernel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am

if your holes don't line up
yes , i ve seen this problem on the forum , also i immediately mesured mine , and they re around 0.5 mm off (they re pretty bad), so i have to send them back?

i thought it was a problem on the production line of the makerslide , aren t they all the same ?

Digitalmagic

Post by Digitalmagic » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:21 pm

@Zach, @Edward,

For those facing the Makerslide issue, what is the precise policy to follow in order to have a part replacement?
I mean, for example sending a picture to you, with inter axes measuring showing a distance below, let's say, 19.5mm ?
And if replacement applies, we need a RMA from you, and we send parts to Inventables?

For those discovering the issue after being delivered in Europe, do we have to send them back to you?
Overseas shipping cost in mind, of course.

By the way, why does it exist 2 flavors of Makerslide:
- one having 2 "4 arms stars" for each 20x20
- and the other having 1 "4 arms star" & 1 "3 arms star" ?
MakerSlide-Drawing.JPG
MakerSlide-Drawing.JPG (37.13 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!