Page 4 of 13

Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:17 pm
by TomO
WillAdams wrote:No video AFAIK (guess we need to get a kit to Winston Moy somehow).

Installation is straight-forward though, and the instruction .pdf is short and to the point.


A agree with Will installation is very simple and the switches work great. Great peace of mind knowing you will not damage your investment. I knew I needed switches after the first (and only) time I crashed my shapeoko.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:51 am
by twforeman
Keep in mind that if you are moving fast enough you will run through the limit switches and hit the end plates. You do need to be moving pretty fast though.

It won't damage the limit switches or mounts though. :)

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:23 pm
by mnolan1948
I would like to buy a set, but don't see the limit switch on the site.

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:27 pm
by twforeman
mnolan1948 wrote:I would like to buy a set, but don't see the limit switch on the site.
Sorry about that. Looks like when I renewed the listing it only listed one instead of four.

Should be there now: https://www.etsy.com/listing/234609790/ ... switch-kit

Buy it today before I put my shop on vacation.

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:12 am
by twforeman
One kit left. The Etsy store will be going on vacation at 10:00pm CT tonight and will be unavailable until August.

If you one a limit switch kit, now is your chance.

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:32 pm
by kristenanne77
Heres another pic of some of the limit switch kit parts ( not the cables).
It helps me familiarize myself with them in perspective. Might be helpful to some.

K

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:00 pm
by kristenanne77
I am having a problem with the Z distance.
In order to install the Limit Switch Mount - Z, which protrudes into the top of the Dewalt, I had to lower the Dewalt.
After lowering the Dewalt and raising the Z as high as I can I now have only about .75 inch under the bit as you can see in the picture. I did mount a 3/4 inch spoilboard with T-nuts over the original spoilboard, ... But even without that spoilboard I would have only 1.5 inches usable Z area.
So first i need to get that limit switch mount "out of the way" so i can raise the Dewalt higher to where it was.
Then after that i need to solve the next problem.

The next problem is, as shown in the picture, with the Z axis as high as it will go , the distance between the screw in the Limit Switch Mount-Z and the Z Limit Actuator mount is almost two inches. I don't understand how the switch can be activated when the z axis cannot be moved any higher to trip the switch.

I would appreciate any solutions to solve these problems as I would really like to use this kit but as it stands now the Z axis will not work for me.

Thanks
K

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:16 pm
by kristenanne77
IDEA:
I see that the install instructions have the Z Limit swich assembly mounted lower than where I have it, but lowering it will certainly not help me with the height problem of the switch, so it will stay where it is.
I think what I will try to do is RAISE the Z limit switch mount by attaching a thin plastic piece which is the same thickness as the mount to the bottom of the switch mount to raise it out of the way of the top of the Dewalt , allowing me to raise the Dewalt back up again. Drill a whole in the added plastic piece for the screw and screw in. Also add a little "nub" to go through the hole next to the attaching screw.
Will let you know what happens!

K

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:37 pm
by bsanspree
kristenanne77 wrote:I am having a problem with the Z distance.
In order to install the Limit Switch Mount - Z, which protrudes into the top of the Dewalt, I had to lower the Dewalt.
After lowering the Dewalt and raising the Z as high as I can I now have only about .75 inch under the bit as you can see in the picture. I did mount a 3/4 inch spoilboard with T-nuts over the original spoilboard, ... But even without that spoilboard I would have only 1.5 inches usable Z area.
So first i need to get that limit switch mount "out of the way" so i can raise the Dewalt higher to where it was.
Then after that i need to solve the next problem.

The next problem is, as shown in the picture, with the Z axis as high as it will go , the distance between the screw in the Limit Switch Mount-Z and the Z Limit Actuator mount is almost two inches. I don't understand how the switch can be activated when the z axis cannot be moved any higher to trip the switch.

I would appreciate any solutions to solve these problems as I would really like to use this kit but as it stands now the Z axis will not work for me.

Thanks
K

The round stops you have the z-axis switch mounted to, should be moved down to the holes close to the word Limit in your picture. Those round stops that the z-axis switch is mounted to are designed to keep the z-axis platform from pulling off of its track.

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:36 am
by kristenanne77
kristenanne77 wrote:IDEA:
I see that the install instructions have the Z Limit swich assembly mounted lower than where I have it, but lowering it will certainly not help me with the height problem of the switch, so it will stay where it is.
I think what I will try to do is RAISE the Z limit switch mount by attaching a thin plastic piece which is the same thickness as the mount to the bottom of the switch mount to raise it out of the way of the top of the Dewalt , allowing me to raise the Dewalt back up again. Drill a whole in the added plastic piece for the screw and screw in. Also add a little "nub" to go through the hole next to the attaching screw.
Will let you know what happens!

K
I think if I keep the upper screws with Z Limit switch assembly in place and raise the Z switch as mentioned, it should cut off the Z movement and prevent damage when the switch is tripped, right?