Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:35 am

The top switch is more useful just to ensure homing can be done safely.

It’s not that likely to trip in a meaningful fashion during operation — you’ll notice the machine has skipped steps and isn’t cutting anything but air long before it gets hit.

A lower limit switch would be more useful, but is tricky to set up, ’cause it’s dependent on tool length.

I believe the soft limits may take that into account, but I’m still finding the time test/ investigate that.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:54 am

Right.... A little experimentation is in order. Maybe using a longer adjustment screw to trip the Z switch?

Question.
Can homing be done with only the x and y switches connected?

Thanks
K

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Looks to me as if you still have some adjustment on the screw for the Z-axis --- make that project more at the top?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 pm

The top switch is very useful for this: you put a new endmill in. You jog it to a known height above the workpiece, or probe a touchplate. You set work coordinates to the known height, and start your job. Say you stop the machine, turn it off, go to a party, sleep it off, and come back to it next day. To resume, just home, select the same work coordinates, and your Z is already adjusted correctly. Yay top Z limit switch!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:07 pm

WillAdams wrote:Looks to me as if you still have some adjustment on the screw for the Z-axis --- make that project more at the top?

On the stock plastic Z limit switch mount, its not so much the length of the screw, ... its the position of the screw protruding over the top of the dewalt. It doesn't allow the dewalt to be raised any higher.
That's really the part that needs to be raised.
I realize that I have a 3/4 inch spoilboard on top of the base support spoilboard which gives me less distance but am I the only one (who uses the recommended dewalt) experiencing this?
Curious to how much "Z space others have who have an "upper spoilboard".

Thanks
K

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:09 pm

I've got a fair bit, but I'm using a Makita, which is a cylinder w/ no button interfering w/ things, and my added spoilboard is less than 1/2" thick.

One interesting suggestion in another thread was to replace the MDF w/ an aluminum plate which allowed one to dispense w/ the front-to-back and cross straps, netting a slight increase in Z-axis height.

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:11 pm

I might be a little confused about the homing setup.

If I start working on a project that required a bit change for a second toolpath, would I be able to run the first toolpath, then jog the machine to the end of the table where I can insert a new bit, and then have it go to the same X=0,Y=0 starting point as the first toolpath using the homing cycle? (I would adjust the Z=0 point myself since the second bit would probably be a little longer or shorter than the first bit)
Is this possible with the homing setup after installing switches?
If it is can I get a step by step method of doing 2 separate toolpaths?
(Until now I would pencil in my starting point if I needed to come back to the pencil mark and run a second toolpath on the same project - not super accurate but you get pretty good with time)

Thanks
K

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:20 pm

That is exactly what homing switches are supposed to address.

One should be able to:

- home the machine
- perform a task
- shut the machine down / move it around / mount a new endmill
- power the machine up and home it again (incl. setting the Z-axis appropriately)
- perform a second task in register w/ the first

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:02 pm

That's great news. Would I be able to do the x, y zeroing using only the x and y homing switches or do I need all three (x,y, and z) connected? (I will be busy trying to work on Z axis solution so until then it will not be connected).

Thanks
K

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Please contact Tim Foreman to work out your difficulties w/ the Z-axis --- I'm certain it can be made to work, just requires some sort of adjustment / tweaking. It may be that he'll need to redesign the mount to accommodate the DWP611 (I think he uses a Ridgid Trim Router, while I use a Makita --- I suppose we should switch...).

Not sure about homing only two axes --- as I noted, doing Z- first has a safety aspect to it (lift the endmill up above the work area). Maybe it can be turned off, but I know if I did, the first thing I'd do would be to snap an endmill, probably while putting a long gash through some nice piece of material.