Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
kristenanne77

Re: Shapeoko 3 Limit Switch Kits

Post by kristenanne77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks Will.

First I will try my idea to raise the Z a little and get all three switches connected.
But I will need to contact Tim to find out if the x, y homing could be accommodated using only the x, y switches, just in case.

Thanks
K

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:41 pm

It can be, but you need to change the configuration and recompile GRBL. As it's built by default, it wants to home the Z first, and it fails if there's no switch there.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:42 am

To accommodate raising the Z switch, i modified the lower portion which contains the contacting screw by supergluing some plastic i had lying around underneath to raise it. Pretty solid glue job. I used tie-wraps for now to attach the lower portion to the frame. You can also see a little piece of tie wrap behind the plastic to "wedge it tight". I plan to attach the other parts this weekend. Another alternative i might try is using a thin piece of sheet metal and bending to an L shape to accommodate the screw. For this part to work with the Dewalt, it really has to be thin so it doesnt get in the way of the dewalt.
Attachments
82BCCE5A-9D32-4498-B829-DA609A08CD67.JPG
82BCCE5A-9D32-4498-B829-DA609A08CD67.JPG (249.91 KiB) Viewed 1105 times

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:51 am

I am missing something. Why these modifications, when the bracket with the switch, and the spacers it mounts on, were designed to go in the lower holes? You raised the pusher by about the same amount you raised the switch by mounting it in the upper holes.

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:53 am

I mentioned my particular problem earlier in this post and a picture.
The whole thing in a nutshell is after adding a 3/4 inch spoilboard over the original support spoilboard obviously gave me less Z space, but enough to work with.

BUT after installing the Z Limit Switch Actuator Mount ( the small "L" shaped piece which holds the actuating screw)..... It would protrude into the top of the Dewalt, I had to lower the Dewalt to where the switch actuator mount didnt hit the top of the dewalt ... Now giving TOTAL Z height to work with under the milling bit of less than an inch. Not very much at all.
((The other problem i had was mistakingly mounting the switch plate "higher up" than the instructions mentioned, but it turns out that because of the described above scenario, it wouldnt have worked in the original specified position anyway for me. This is why you see the switch mounted higher than the directions))

Tim could look into an adaptation of the the Z portion of his kit for the DeWalt router.
Anyone using a router with a smaller diameter top portion should have no problem with the Z portion of the kit as is.
I am wondering if anyone else is using a Dewalt router like mine with this kit and what their experiences are.
I am pretty confident my kooky looking modified actuator switch plate will work though. We will see this weekend.

K

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:58 am

Thank you for the explanation. The DWP611 is the standard tool for this machine, so the limit switch kit should be made to work with it. Would a slimmer switch pusher work? Or is there not enough clearance behind the router?

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Here is a picture of the "raised" mount with the dewalt router.

K
Attachments
62B8C3D3-96C9-4219-B36D-B2B117693911.JPG
62B8C3D3-96C9-4219-B36D-B2B117693911.JPG (84.96 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Its a very tight fit. And in reality, even with my modified switch, i have to flex the plastic a bit to allow clearance if i need to remove the router. ( or just temporarily disconnect switch actuator portion.) not such a big deal as i use this router most of the time.

So yes, a slimmer switch would certainly help.
If i have time i will try a thin piece of sheet metal an bend it to an L shape and put a hole for a screw. It would be thinner and bendable if needed.

K

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Looking at that again, I wonder if we aren't approaching this the wrong way.

Why not mount the Z-axis limit switch on the router itself?

Then one could have two mechanisms:

- top would hit a part on the X-axis carriage
- bottom would be adjustable and allow for the lower Z-axis safety mechanism we've been wanting --- probably it would hit something mounted to the bottom of the X-axis carriage
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Creating mounts to put on the individual router could certainly be a do-able option.
Maybe an adjustable steel clamp from the hardware store with a "doo-dad" attached to the top of the router (or wherever convenient) to trip the switch .... but the dewalt top isn't really circular so might have to cut out something custom.

As far as attaching a lower tripping mechanism, that's a good idea ... I think we would need to attach the second (lower) switch in parallel with the top switch, right?

K