MXL Belt Order

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
htassell

MXL Belt Order

Post by htassell » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:16 am

Hi All,

I'm in the process of building a number of machines that use 0.080" pitch MXL and require a fair quantity of belt to do so.

The prices at Inventables and SDP/SI are ok for small quantities, but they become prohibitive for the quantity I need (about 20m total). I've had a bit of a hunt around and have managed to secure open end MXL belt with the same specs as the Shapeoko requires at a significantly lower price.

The belt that I found costs US$1.60 per/m which is about 5 times cheaper than the other suppliers. The only downside to this is that I have to purchase a 170m roll. I'm happy to purchase it and distribute it at cost if people would like, although it might be cheaper and easier for Edward or one of the existing forum members with online selling facilities to distribute it.

However, I am conscious of not treading on Inventables (or anyone else's) toes. I guess one option is that perhaps they can offer a lower price if this supplier is cheaper than their current one.

This is just an idea really, so let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Hugh

Digitalmagic

Re: MXL Belt Order

Post by Digitalmagic » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:49 am

You could have a look at GT2 belts, far better than MXL, if you are looking for more anti-backslash and precision features.
An interesting discussion took place here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=543
Last edited by Digitalmagic on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!

baz

Post by baz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:09 am

Hi Hugh,

I would be interested, about 40m to 70m (can't confirm yet)
Could you get some prices and also shipping to the UK.

Many Thanks

Baz

Edit; again I cannot confirm but I have re-calculated and would actually be interested in 100m -120m
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:08 pm

I think this is a great idea. The price from current suppliers seems too high, relative to the price of makerslide.
Put me down for 15 meters.

marcohess

Post by marcohess » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:04 pm

It really comes down to what sort of shipping you would offer to e.g. Australia for me. I would be happy to take 10m at that price if it could be cheaply posted to Australia.
ShapeOko #290

Palodin

Post by Palodin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:51 am

I am interested in a similar quantity, but would echo marcohess's comment. It would depend on the costs to get it to Australia.

Mike
Shapeoko Serial Number: 426

htassell

Post by htassell » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:34 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like it might be worthwhile.

@ Digitalmagic, I agree that there certainly are other belts out there that are better in terms of backlash and overall performance. However, I decided to got with MXL because I already have all the existing cogs and pulley hardware to match. Likewise, getting MXL will allow other Shapeoko users to get access to cheap belt for their machines without changing any of their hardware.

In terms of prices for postage etc:

The costs to get it to Australia is pretty negligable ($20). The cost of the belt is $1.60/m, but if we include the cost of shipping ($20/170m), the full cost per metre of belt including the postage is $1.70 per metre.

Now for shipping out to people:

Within Australia:
For shipping in Australia, the two options are:

Regular Post 500g = 30m = $3.50 (This comprises $3 Australia post gee and $0.50 for the padded envelope).
Pre-paid Flat Rate BX1 Box = unlimited metres = $7.50 (This price comprises $6.50 Australia Post flat rate service and $1.00 for the BX1 box)

Internationally:
Australia Post is horrendously over-priced for its international services :x . The long and the short of it is that a trackable service is preventably expensive. Pre-paid envelopes are the cheapest option. The weight of the belt is 15g per metre and this determines the maximum amount that can be sent per parcel. The prices below are valid for any country that Australia Post can send to.

Australia Post Airmail 250g = 15m = $7.85
Australia Post Express Mail International 500g = 30m = $14.05

If lots of people are after belt in other countries, it would probably be best to work out who would like to do the same sort of thing as this in their country and then order the belt directly. Edward or Atomsoft or Lasershark may be about to help out in the US. I can email the supplier details on to whoever wants to do it. I would just need to organise an introduction with the supplier so they know who the new person is.

Now that prices for postage are resolved, people should be able to work out whether or not they would like to go in on an order. If people can get back to me either on this thread, or by email htassell @ gmal dot com, that would be great.

Cheers,

Hugh

marcohess

Post by marcohess » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:10 am

Hi Hugh,

How do you propose the ordering and payments go? Just via email? I am still in for 10m in Australia, so $20.50 right?

Marco
ShapeOko #290

Palodin

Post by Palodin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Put me down for 15m.

Mike
Shapeoko Serial Number: 426

htassell

Post by htassell » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:28 am

OK everyone,

I've ordered a roll and it should arrive in the next 5-7 working days. I've actually managed to get an even better deal so the price is now only US $0.87 per metre plus the shipping costs to get it to you. The order is for a quantity of 200m.

With regards to ordering, If you can email me at: htassell at gmail dot com with the quantity you want and your postal address, that would be great. I'll respond confirming your order.

Payment to my paypal account is probably the easiest. it is the same email address as above.

In terms of quantities, if anyone is after large amounts (say >30m) let me know early so I can get another roll if necessary.

For your information, I have passed the details of the manufacturer on to Zach at inventables with the view that it may help to make the belt more affordable for everyone. No promises, but it can't hurt.

Cheers,

Hugh