Shapeoko threaded table announced (again)

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
DRobs86

Re: Shapeoko threaded table announced (again)

Post by DRobs86 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:48 am

This seems like a cool upgrade, but I really question the need for 90 threaded holes in this work area.

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:23 pm

DRobs86 wrote:This seems like a cool upgrade, but I really question the need for 90 threaded holes in this work area.
I have a home made version with about the same pattern.

There are never enough holes to mount things exactly where you want them.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:10 am

Granted, I haven’t used it much, but the golden ratio (phi) spacing on my HDPE Wasteboard seems to work out for most projects.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

ptchan5

Post by ptchan5 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:48 am

Is the general consensus that threaded inserts or threaded Alu table is better than T-Track running front to back? Why not throw some 3/4" MDF with T-Track on top of the SO3 spoilboard? I have a virgin machine, so I'm still looking at my options.

-Peter

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:12 pm

The T-track is fine, just not as rigid. Trade-offs seem to be:

- rigidity --- the solid metal table wins big here
- flexibility --- T-track affords a continuous fastening point
- expense

The extruded metal rails w/ integrated T-track seem a good compromise.

I’m thinking I may want to try some sort of off-center X/+ pattern (think distorted Union Jack) but still debating.

I do know that this time, I will use a set of transfer punches to make a duplicate of the stock Wasteboard, finish both of them w/ lacquer and store the original as a template.

More of course on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Workholding
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

ptchan5

Post by ptchan5 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Why doesn't carbide3D in the spirit of Kickstarter and open source just supply the CAD file for the two spoilboard's and the hole placement for the entire machine on the metal rails. Would save a lot of people a ton of time.

If somebody has done this, which I assume they had to at one point. Can you share?

Will, can you ask Carbide3D to share?

Thanks,
Peter

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:42 pm

ptchan5 wrote:Why doesn't carbide3D in the spirit of Kickstarter and open source just supply the CAD file for the two spoilboard's and the hole placement for the entire machine on the metal rails.
While not the CAD files, the drawings for the original spoilboards have been posted since the SO3 came out. See drawing S3099 here.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:54 pm

ptchan5 wrote:Is the general consensus that threaded inserts or threaded Alu table is better than T-Track running front to back? Why not throw some 3/4" MDF with T-Track on top of the SO3 spoilboard? I have a virgin machine, so I'm still looking at my options.
As a data point, the original MDF wasteboard in mine has been replaced with 4mm aluminium + M5 tapped holes every 50mm square.

4mm aluminium has been rigid enough for my needs, though I bought a 6mm plate at the same time. The 4mm one was my "practise" one... and I've not needed to replace it yet.

On the downside, I've stripped the M5 threads out of a few holes due to over-tightening. That may or may not be a problem with the 6mm plate... but I'll probably never end up using that for this S3 anyway. ;)
ptchan5 wrote:Why doesn't carbide3D in the spirit of Kickstarter and open source just supply the CAD file for the two spoilboard's and the hole placement for the entire machine on the metal rails. Would save a lot of people a ton of time.
Well... that's because Carbide3D isn't an Open Source company. The machines themselves aren't Open Source (even though the Shapeoko 1 and 2 were), nor is the software they produce.

Guessing it's because they have more confidence in their business ability by keeping closed source, than if they go Open Source. Obviously, various people have various opinions about this. ;)

Some people have produced 3D models from the limited drawings that Carbide3D have released, which can be helpful depending on your needs. eg:
Shapeoko 3 #516

ptchan5

Post by ptchan5 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks a bunch. I'll check those out.

Peter