Seeking: Non-conductive touch probe for auto leveling - SO3

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
KAScnc

Re: Seeking: Non-conductive touch probe for auto leveling -

Post by KAScnc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 pm

I have that IR sensor in one of my 3D printers. It works okay, but I prefer a physical contact for leveling.

Different surfaces will detect at different heights. When I get home I'll toss some wood under it and see how it detects.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:13 pm

I'm pretty sure MDF will reflect enough for that detector to work.

I thought that the whole idea with the differential sensing was to eliminate material type from the equation. Although I now realize that, because of the angles, specular reflection (shiny surfaces) may throw it off.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 pm

cvoinescu wrote:I'm pretty sure MDF will reflect enough for that detector to work.

I thought that the whole idea with the differential sensing was to eliminate material type from the equation. Although I now realize that, because of the angles, specular reflection (shiny surfaces) may throw it off.
I was concerned about plywood having a varied surface color causing difficulty. I don't understand this technology, so I'm only guessing.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:33 pm

You may be right, I can see how texture may affect the accuracy of the measurement. Better go with mechanical, then.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:52 pm

cvoinescu wrote:You may be right, I can see how texture may affect the accuracy of the measurement. Better go with mechanical, then.
But that IR thingy looked soooo cooool!
SVEMakerSpaces

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:01 pm

Maybe I'm over thinking this. Isn't this just a switch on the end of a stick attached to the Z axis plate? The "stick 'n switch" (patent pending - copyrighted) should be removed easily so it's not in the way during routing operations. Wires up to the controller. That's about it?
SVEMakerSpaces

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:23 pm

woodworkerbob wrote:Maybe I'm over thinking this. Isn't this just a switch on the end of a stick attached to the Z axis plate? The "stick 'n switch" (patent pending - copyrighted) should be removed easily so it's not in the way during routing operations. Wires up to the controller. That's about it?
Yes, exactly.

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:22 pm

woodworkerbob wrote:Been trying to do some engraving and have found my waste board and/or the working material is not flat enough. I work with wood and plastic so the PCB conductive probes won't work for me. Yea I could stretch some aluminum foil over the working material, but I'm not sure that would work all that well. I have used the AL foil trick on some non-SO3 CNC equipment to set Z=0.0, that works great!

Any suggestions?
Bob

I'm building one to sell right now. Trying to make it clip over a 1/8 or 1/4 bit. Maybe I'll offer both. Any preference here?

Initial results are promising, and it will definitely be under $100

It will only be able to do up to a variation of about 1mm per 20mm of travel, but that should be fine for most applications.

~Andrew

Estlcam

Post by Estlcam » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:47 pm

You don't need a fancy 3d switch for auto leveling - a simple microswitch for a few cents will do just fine.
You just need to make sure it never bumps into something from the side - but this shouldn't be a issue for most auto leveling applications as there are usually no high or steep edges.
Estlcam CAM and Arduino UNO CNC controller: www.estlcam.com

Alden1qa

Post by Alden1qa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:09 am

Here you can also get the free models STL,http://www.jgaurora3d.com

desktop 3D printer
jgaurora3d.com