Learn About BobCAD CAM Products

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
aldepoalo

Learn About BobCAD CAM Products

Post by aldepoalo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:48 pm

My name is Al DePoalo and I am the Partner Products Manager at BobCAD CAM, Inc. I have put together a special Shapeoko member discount for the BobCAD CAM software package. Now that you have a CNC machine and you are ready to cut parts you'll need both a CAD package and a CAM package to design and program. There are many free programs for you to choose from but you may decide you want to purchase 1 package that does it all. The BobCAD CAM software is a windows based application, and will run on windows XP or greater.

In order to take advantage of the Shapeoko BobCAD discount you must be a member to this forum and be a shapeoko customer. You need to call me directly at 866-408-3226 X 147 and use promotion code 452309

Here is the offer:

V24 Standard Milling Package:

CAD Features:

BobCAD CAM V24 has an easy to use and understand CAD interface that will allow you to design your parts from beginning to end quickly. V24 will allow you to import DXF, IGES, STEP, SLDPRT and many other files from external CAD systems. You can verify geometry and edit your drawings on the fly by using a wide range of simple CAD features. Toolboxes have been added to make access to frequently used CAD functions easy and fast. Whether you import the CAD file or draw it in BobCAD, you have the ability to create inspection reports and part prints will full dimensions. Basic drawing tools include working with splines, creating arcs through points, drawing points, lines, arcs, bolt patters, gears, sprockets and roller cams to name a few. BobCAD offers a complete wire frame surface and solid model designing package. Viewing your parts, rotating 3D geometry and verifying all your part data has been made easy all the way down to bring able to choose the drawing colors or screen background of your choice.

Additional Features included

Mirroring, Translate( move) and Rotating
Unlimited Undo/Redo, Cut, Copy & Past
Part Dimensioning
Multiple part viewing and rotation
Drawing with Points, Lines, Arc's, Splines, Fillets & More
Complete Surfacing Tools
Complete Solid Tools
Verify Geometry, Trim Geometry, Layers and User coordinate systems

Milling:

BobCAD CAM is being used in a wide variety of shops for a wide variety of applications. This is due to the versatility of the program, customizable post processors, multiple cutting options and it's ability to create fast accurate toolpaths and CNC code. Whether you're doing 2D work or creating complex 3D parts programs, BobCAD CAM allows you to generate accurate toolpath faster, smarter and easier for less money.

CAM Features Included

CAM Job Tree
Associative CAM
Tool Patterns & Machining Order Control
Tool Database
Pre Defined Material Database
Speed & Feed Calculator
Save & Load Tool Path Setting

CAM Tool Paths Included

2.5 Axis Drilling
2.5 Axis Profiling
2.5 Axis Pocketing
2.5 Axis Facing
2.5 Axis Chamfer
2.5 Axis Threading
2.5 & 3 Axis Engraving
2D & 3 Axis Plunge Roughing
3D Slice Planer
3D Slice Spiral
3D Engraving
3D Slice Radial
3D Z-Level Roughing
3D Z-Level Finishing

This package Lists for $2495 USD . With the Shapoko you can pick up your copy for only $149 USD

BobART

The BobART add-on software module provides you with the ability to turn your artistic imagination into a manufacturing reality! This is an excellent product for trades such as sign making, custom wood working, jewelry making, CNC routing. By opening a jpeg, Bitmap or other picture type image you are just a few steps away from engraving, carving or embossing for creating toolpath and g-code for your CNC machine.

CAD File Import – .dxf, .bmp, .jpg
Turn Pictures directly into 3D Relief/Embossed models
Raster to Vector Conversion
Embossing & Debossing
Emboss from dxf files or solid shapes
Texturing
Mirroring
V Carving

This package Lists for $995 USD, As part of your order the BobART software will be included at no cost, yes that's right Free!

To find out more information about this promotion call me directly at 866-408-3226 X 147 and use promotion code 452309
Last edited by aldepoalo on Fri May 16, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

ejs

Re: BobCAD CAM V24 Mill Standard & BobART For only $395!!!

Post by ejs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Sorry Al,

This group is going to be a hard sell. Firstly, because max value with max bootstrapping is the name of the game here.

Second, because we know how to use the internet. A single google of "bobcad review" gives us these as the first two:

Beware of BobCad (2007)
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vendor_di ... _-2_a.html
BobCAD nightmare (2010)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185011

Some more reading if your feeling up to it
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ca ... 24-217131/
http://www.amazon.com/BobCAD-CAM-Bobcad ... B002E8LDRU

The product may not be a failure, but at the very least I surmise that your support protocols are.
Build it better than it was built for you. And give permission for the next guy to do the same. That's how Open Source works.
ShapeOko # 497: http://bit.ly/reactshop producing the Buildlog CNC Stepper Shield

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 pm

ejs wrote:... max value with max bootstrapping is the name of the game here.

Second, because we know how to use the internet. ...
elegantly put as usual EJS.

Off the topic completely: That really is the name of the game here "max value with max bootstrapping"!

As far as the topic goes, everyone knows my feelings on the matter.

I was thinking after the first warning that Al was going to actually be part of the community and join in on the conversations etc. However, every single post he's done mentions the product.That doesn't seem like participating at all, it seems like trolling.

What do we think: Pull the plug on this before it gets ugly or should we let it ride?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

aldepoalo

Post by aldepoalo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 pm

You should use the internet and look up threads about BobCAD, the older you go back the worse they are. If you look at the new threads you'll see a turn in what our customers say about the software and our service. Things are different now, Here is a good thread on cnc zone that talks about BobCAD CAM's customer service.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad-ca ... ice-4.html

You'll also notice that I am very active on many forums and help lots and lots of people learn how to use the software to cut parts. Support is always the name of the game and the fact that I am active in this community will allow me to support you guys very well. As questions come in I'll answer them for the group that way everyone learns from each other.

*** The PM thread is a great one to read if you read it all the way to the end.

"Hi Al,

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. I was wrong about you. You are a standup guy. You rock buddy . Sorry for giving you a hard time. I just assumed you had the training videos in your home office like me.

All the best,

dirty,"
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:22 am

aldepoalo wrote: Things are different now, Here is a good thread on cnc zone that talks about BobCAD CAM's customer service.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad-ca ... ice-4.html
That's the best you can do? People on that thread begrudglingly say that the software mostly works and that the other forum members help them out.

I think that if you want to try and sell your software here, go for it, but don't expect much love from the community.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 am

Since Edward asked for opinions, Al unless you want to offer up a few free accounts for shapeoko folk to try and report back to the flock with their impressions I personally think we have heard enough about bobcad until maybe sometime in 2013? And I mean that in the nicest way possible - I am actually happy to hear about your big deal 1x. I personally think that capitalists who want to cater to shapeoko people should get to announce their intentions to the forum 1-2x a year, even if they arent contributing. And if they are contributing in an all around way then they get lots of leeway right? The guy who posted the gcode for the cool banner and then just has links in his signature is a perfect example of DOING IT RIGHT. Al absolutely great pic, youre looking good man. You should leave that picture up with your phone number in your signature as you make meaningful contributions towards project shapeoko and people can click towards your product based on the strength of your contributions.
Last edited by dointhangs on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:19 am

The main points I get from that thread on cnczone are that the sales tactics are annoying at best, the software is difficult to use, support through official channels is lacking, and people have to rely on the generosity of knowledgeable people on that forum to get BobCAD to work. It also seems that the company thinks it's more important to appear to offer support than to actually offer it to all customers who need it. Their efforts seem to concentrate on helping in places where that support is visible to others (such as the cnczone forum) rather than on traditional support channels. If the software was easy to use and did not have problems, and the documentation and support were good, why would the help on the forum be a "godsend"?

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's how I perceive the dynamics described on that thread. Yet, Improbable Construct hit the nail on the head: if the software was indeed excellent (or at least good, or even just decent) wouldn't there be much more unambiguously flattering comments out there to give as examples? The only logical conclusion is that it isn't.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

aldepoalo

Post by aldepoalo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 am

You know I think you are right, I should offer up some free seats for a few of you to try and give some feedback. If you are interested pm me.

Here are some links of Happy BobCAD CAM customers and what they think about BobCAD CAM software:

http://www.bobcad.com/articles/bobcad-c ... ducts.html

http://www.bobcad.com/articles/bobcad-c ... ision.html

http://www.bobcad.com/articles/bobcad-c ... -me-2.html

http://www.bobcad.com/articles/bobcad-c ... or-me.html
Last edited by aldepoalo on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

dointhangs

Post by dointhangs » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:39 am

I think thats nice Al. I personally wont be taking you up on this but maybe somebody will find that interesting. I think they could someday reply with some comments to this thread - what I do is bookmark the "view active topics" button and as soon as somebody has something to say it pops right up, no matter how old the thread is. Maybe Edward or other good folks will have additional advice on that. Sounds like the banhammer is only a 1-2 posts away for you at any given moment, hey I live on the razors edge too in a couple of interesting ways, I can identify. Best of luck.
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Just for the edification of the group here, because I see the term "trolling" misused a lot...

Trolling:
The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.
(Definition from Urban Dictionary)

Anyhow, I don't plan on shelling out for this software, given I am also a subscriber to the whole max value vs max bootstrapping thing, but I don't get the hate that seems to get dropped on this dude and his software. If you don't like it, move on. He's not hurting anyone, he seems to be following forum rules, and he's definitely not trolling. There's no need for us to sink to the level of vitriol that gets seen on so many other community boards. A nice, happy family, that's us :)

Tom