Learn About BobCAD CAM Products

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
aldepoalo

Re: BobCAD CAM V24 Mill Standard & BobART For only $149!!!!

Post by aldepoalo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 pm

cvoinescu

Respectfully,I appreciated the long list of rules that you feel I need to follow in order to participate in addition threads of this community. I guess the issue that I am having is shaking the "he's marketing his software" or he is just trying to sell software etc.... Those that work with me know I go the extra mile and really enjoy helping people.

The concept that if someone asks a question then I can answer is just silly to me... I have clients that are not shapeoko members ask me questions all the time. I create videos based on these questions and then post them in different forms. I am sure many of the " answers " and "work flow" I demonstrate in my videos are useful regardless of the software you are using.

Respectfully I completely disagree with you, and I should have the freedom to post video and work flow and projects where and when I want. The goal is providing information, and helping people. You may not see it that way, but that's the truth...

This is why I am in a box, if I reply on threads and answer questions showing how to do it in BobCAD ( the software I use ) then that's marketing. But if a customer of a product like CAM BAM or Vetric does the same thing, then that's good content? That's cloudy to me with a chance of meat balls....
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:00 pm

aldepoalo wrote:This is why I am in a box, if I reply on threads and answer questions showing how to do it in BobCAD ( the software I use ) then that's marketing. But if a customer of a product like CAM BAM or Vetric does the same thing, then that's good content? That's cloudy to me with a chance of meat balls....
cvoinescu wrote:Answering someone else's question or request for information, be it about your products or not: always okay;
cvoinescu wrote:Mentioning your product as a possible solution to a problem being discussed: okay, but in moderation;
As I said, I don't see a problem with suggesting BobCAD as a solution for a given problem. It may be marketing, but it's also genuinely useful, if it indeed solves the problem. Just don't flood: don't take a question about how to do something in CAM BAM as an opportunity to post six videos about how it's done in BobCAD. Also, we haven't had problems with CAM BAM or Vectric sales reps marketing their stuff outside the For Sale section, so I don't see why you feel discriminated against. We treat all vendors the same; you're unique only in that you're the only one who had to be reminded about the forum rules, a long time ago.
aldepoalo wrote:I have clients that are not shapeoko members ask me questions all the time. I create videos based on these questions and then post them in different forms. I am sure many of the " answers " and "work flow" I demonstrate in my videos are useful regardless of the software you are using.
That's the whole point. Keep your answers to questions asked somewhere else, somewhere else. Ditto for unsolicited work flow demonstrations. Feel free to post them or point to them when they genuinely answer an existing question.
aldepoalo wrote:Respectfully I completely disagree with you, and I should have the freedom to post video and work flow and projects where and when I want. The goal is providing information, and helping people. You may not see it that way, but that's the truth...
Respectfully, at the very basic level, Edward Ford pays for hosting this forum, so he gets to decide who can post what and where. Currently, his rule is that things for sale go in the For Sale section. You're free to post whatever you want and make your own rules on sites that belong to you. Freedom of speech does not mean that anyone owes you a free platform -- especially not one ready with a large user base and readership -- for said speech. And, for all your protests, I think I speak for most people here when I say that your how-tos and videos, while helpful, are, by and large, a way to promote your product.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

aldepoalo

Post by aldepoalo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:36 pm

"Just don't flood: don't take a question about how to do something in CAM BAM as an opportunity to post six videos about how it's done in BobCAD."

When have I ever done this?

"That's the whole point. Keep your answers to questions asked somewhere else, somewhere else."

Why? I have the unique opportunity to speak with "people who want to machine things" from all over the world. Applications as simple as drilling holes, or cutting a simple sign all the way up to complex 5 axis machining. In a given week I log hours and hours of working through questions and problems people have with CAD CAM. Sharing what I learn and answering the common questions I get asked all the time is very valuable to this community and others. I have no problem posting this type of information else where and having the community appreciate it. Why is it different here?

"Currently, his rule is that things for sale go in the For Sale section."

Work flow, how to and samples are not sales topics. They are training topics at a very basic level.

"for all your protests, I think I speak for most people here when I say that your how-tos and videos, while helpful, are, by and large, a way to promote your product"

I am not sure what protests you are talking about. I became a member of this community and started to interact like I would in any forum or message board I am on. After a few posts in Software CAD CAM Workflow Help

Here are the posts

Software CAD CAM Workflow Help > CAD Help

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=905

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=927

Software CAD CAM Workflow Help > CAM Help>

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=826

I was told not to post really anything about BobCAD other than in the for sale section. So I followed what I was told to do.

If this was not the case there were but lots of threads in this currently not very active portion of the shapeoko forum. I would have posted all kinds of projects and steps by steps for users to follow that I am sure would be appreciated by most if not all.

You may not feel this type of information is needed in this community, and maybe you are right, but when I read some of the questions that are asked I know the threads I would could and should be creating would be appreciated.

What you call a way to promote my product, others would see as a chance to learn how something is done. This users base is full of people who "want to" design / machine something. The threads I would like to create would show "how to" design /machine something. Add them both up and you get a happy community that are making things they want to. Isn't that why Edward created shapeoko and this community in the first place?
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

aldepoalo

BobCAD CAM V24 Getting Started

Post by aldepoalo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:56 pm

The Shapeoko Promotion is for our V24 CAD CAM system:

Use this link to view our V24 Getting started PDF

http://clearslide.com/v/yg752z

This document should help you understand the V24 software and it features better. It should help you get started with the software. But if it doesn't just post in this thread and I will be sure to help you.
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

CalebPeters

Re: BobCAD CAM V24 Getting Started

Post by CalebPeters » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:39 pm

aldepoalo wrote:The Shapeoko Promotion is for our V24 CAD CAM system:

Use this link to view our V24 Getting started PDF

http://clearslide.com/v/yg752z

This document should help you understand the V24 software and it features better. It should help you get started with the software. But if it doesn't just post in this thread and I will be sure to help you.
Really, I get 10 pages in to that document, just to see this. I don't even know what to say.

For what it's worth the opinion that I have of you and your company, which is based solely on your responses in this thread, is questionable at best. Your recent responses where you complain and argue with the administrators of this site is sorely lacking in professionalism. And, before you say it, I don't care who's right or wrong because playing the victim makes you look bad.

Now having said that I am genuinely interested in understanding better what your software is, and what it can do. You may very well be in a box, but it is an open box that anyone on the forum can readily see when you update it. So, make some videos showcasing this V24 software, or whatever its correct name is, in action. In fact, I would suggest making a three-part video showcasing the cad, cam, and cutting of an iPhone stand. I imagine that you have access to a Shapeoko, and if you don't then maybe your company should invest in one. After all, if you really want to be part of this community it seems like owning a Shapeoko is one of the first steps.
Shapeoko 2 #3164 : GRBL, NEMA 23 motors, 350W Spindle, Limit/home switches, Drag chain, X-Carve Upgrade.
DIY-Oko 3 #-1 : LinuxCNC, PC-450 with Super-Pid, Hall Effect Limit/home switches.

aldepoalo

More Information on BobCAD

Post by aldepoalo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Here are some more links on V24 that you can download PDF files that walk through features of V24. They do not require any contact information to keep viewing.

This PDF is on the Profile Wizard:
http://www.bobcad.com/wp-content/media/ ... wizard.pdf

This PDF is on Engraving:
http://www.bobcad.com/wp-content/media/ ... raving.pdf

This PDF is on V carving :
http://www.bobcad.com/wp-content/media/ ... -carve.pdf
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

aldepoalo

V24 iphone stand project

Post by aldepoalo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 am

I liked the idea of creating a 3 part video showing how to design, toolpath and machine an iphone stand. So let's get started. Here is the first video that talks about CAD and the difference between SolidWorks and BobCAD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYn2GL4OKns

I
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

aldepoalo

iphone stand

Post by aldepoalo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:28 am

Un like this guy who doesn't have a shapeoko, your design and finish project will look smoother and be way cooler!

Still a cool video to watch!

http://youtu.be/SWtEqHiG8Wo
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

aldepoalo

Job Setup

Post by aldepoalo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B80z52bGB3s

We haven't gotten to part setup or posting but after watching this video I thought it might be a good idea to talk about part zero. In the above video the user ( who by the way made a great video ) talked about zeroing the top of his job and making sure to check his G-code so that he "didn't cut into the spoil board"

A common work flow for wood working would be to zero the spoil board and to cut the job in all positive Z, this way you know you'll never cut into the spoil board... Anyway I will go into more detail on this subject when I get to the CAM video parts....
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.

aldepoalo

Post by aldepoalo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:22 am

So I spent a little more time on this project and came up with a little different design. Again I just looked online and found a style that I liked. This sample should be easy to machine out and will cover topics like pocketing, inside profiles and outside profiles.

So I attached a screen shot of the design and here is the drop box link for the bbcd file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkr8qwczcw9ti ... stand.bbcd
Attachments
iphonestand.png
iphonestand.png (6.53 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
Al DePoalo
Partner Products Manager
866-408-3226 X147
BobCAD CAM, Inc.