ACME screw upgrade for Shapeoko Z-Axis

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.
akhlut

Re: ACME screw upgrade for Shapeoko Z-Axis

Post by akhlut » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:23 pm

I arrived at a similar solution.

imgur

BotDoc

Post by BotDoc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:43 pm

akhlut wrote:I arrived at a similar solution.

imgur
akhlut, did you make that carriage? It looks like the V1 version, but turned 90 degrees. I was thinking of turning the V1 carriage, but the acme bearings would limit the z motion to about an inch, maybe two.
ShapeOko #1728. 1000mm dual drive y, 500 mm double x, Acme Z, V2 motor plates, DW 660.

BotDoc

Post by BotDoc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 pm

FYI. The http://www.shapeoko.com home page has an updated video with Edward walking through the V2 changes. At 3:50 he starts talking about the z axis changes.
ShapeOko #1728. 1000mm dual drive y, 500 mm double x, Acme Z, V2 motor plates, DW 660.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:07 pm

BotDoc wrote:At 3:50 he starts talking about the z axis changes.
And he mentions the eShapeOko. Yay!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

akhlut

Post by akhlut » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:06 pm

BotDoc wrote:
akhlut wrote:I arrived at a similar solution.

imgur
akhlut, did you make that carriage? It looks like the V1 version, but turned 90 degrees. I was thinking of turning the V1 carriage, but the acme bearings would limit the z motion to about an inch, maybe two.

It's an extra standard wheel carriage plate. I had to discard the original Z-makerslide and install a longer piece. I probably made it too long, but I cut it to match the ACME screw that I had on hand.

imgur

gregdestefano

Post by gregdestefano » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:43 am

Sorry it took so long to get these pictures up. I finally finished the wiring and wanted to test it all to make sure it worked. These pics are how I installed the ACME Z upgrade with the V2 motor plates and with the DW660 mounts from IC. Z Travel is pretty close to stock. As you can tell I had to cut the bottom bearing mount to clear the carriage, and I had to space the DW660 mounts out .25" with extra metal spacers. I will need to make new proper mounts at some point, but it is all working and I just ran a perfect calibration chart.

I should also mention that this is a pretty monster sized Shapeoko that I am calling my Kaijuoko. 2'x4' cutting area, full table is about 32"x58"

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:55 am

WOW! That is a sweet looking setup!
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

sullenx

Post by sullenx » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi guys,

I installed the upgraded z acme axis on my shapeoko 2. The install was easy and went in smooth. The only problem i see now is a slight wobble. When i turn it from the top, i can feel it get slightly harder then smooth then slightly harder to turn.

The rod seems straight (i rolled it on a flat surface and no bent noticed). How can i fix it? or is this expected?

Thanks!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Have you tried loosening the bearing plates, then gradually tightening them as you turn the Acme rod?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:05 pm

sullenx wrote:Hi guys,

I installed the upgraded z acme axis on my shapeoko 2. The install was easy and went in smooth. The only problem i see now is a slight wobble. When i turn it from the top, i can feel it get slightly harder then smooth then slightly harder to turn.

The rod seems straight (i rolled it on a flat surface and no bent noticed). How can i fix it? or is this expected?

Thanks!
I have a couple things you can check:
Check to see if the nut is dragging on the makerslide at any point in the travel.
Check to see if the motor shaft and ACME screw are touching inside the coupler. You may need to trim some off the screw if they are touching.
The bearing blocks may be slightly out of alignment. Loosen them top and bottom. Run the carriage all the way up and hand tighten the top screws then all the way down and do the same on the bottom. Then run it back up and tighten the top, down and tighten the bottom. The bearing blocks may not sit perfectly square to the makerslide.

See if any of those fix it if not we can look at other possible causes.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct