Fusion 360 post processing

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Fusion 360 post processing

Post by WillAdams » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Interesting. One of the updated post-processors is Smoothie.

Makes using an Azteeg X5 Mini look even better.

Mental note, must see what needs to be done to get bCNC talking to a Smoothieboard.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Is there any way to enable a $H homing command automatically in the fusion 360 post processor?

I've been adding these manually, but I know there must be a way to do it.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Fablicator wrote:Is there any way to enable a $H homing command automatically in the fusion 360 post processor?

When or why would you want to do that right in g code, rather than prior to loading/running a block of g code? I could see doing overall homing, then doing an automated tool tip locating step on a system that can do that when the work piece is held in a vise that closely registers it, or at each tool change on a multi-tool-change run. But I'm fuzzy on why you'd do it on a typical Shapeoko.

I'm asking because I suspect there's a lot about homing and workspaces that I would benefit from learning.

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:07 pm

TomDChi wrote:
Fablicator wrote:Is there any way to enable a $H homing command automatically in the fusion 360 post processor?

When or why would you want to do that right in g code, rather than prior to loading/running a block of g code? I could see doing overall homing, then doing an automated tool tip locating step on a system that can do that when the work piece is held in a vise that closely registers it, or at each tool change on a multi-tool-change run. But I'm fuzzy on why you'd do it on a typical Shapeoko.

I'm asking because I suspect there's a lot about homing and workspaces that I would benefit from learning.
I'm idiot proofing for my setup. No chance I forgot to home the machine, no chance I bumped it and shifted the belt while removing the last part, no chance I accidentally approach a proven setup from an unusual location and collide with my jig.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:13 pm

Fablicator wrote:I'm idiot proofing for my setup. No chance I forgot to home the machine, no chance I bumped it and shifted the belt while removing the last part, no chance I accidentally approach a proven setup from an unusual location and collide with my jig.
So it's for a workflow where you aren't manually zeroing for each run, and the jig+workpiece are in a fixed, known position - very much makes sense - thanks.

There are a bunch of these things that wold seem to be desirable in the g code generator (Fusion 360's CAM in this case). But I wonder if they wouldn't make as much sense to be put into a more "feature rich" g code sender?