Cut2d v-bit 60 degree outline milling issues

adamluna

Cut2d v-bit 60 degree outline milling issues

Post by adamluna » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:56 pm

Hello,

I'm new to all of this and right now I'm cutting a sign and chose to use cut2d desktop, chose outline and as a tool a v-bit with 60 degree angle cutting on maple mdf only cutting 1/8" depth since the mdf is 1/2"

Now what am I doing wrong?

Why the round bit marks? As you can see?

Please help!

Adam Luna

I have theImage shapeoko 3 by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam
Shapeoko 3 w/DPW 611 #243
WIN7 64bit - Trying to figure it out a Workflow

Brian Stone

Re: Cut2d v-bit 60 degree outline milling issues

Post by Brian Stone » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:55 am

This is just a guess... It kind of looks like your toolpath Z coordinates are inverted. Wherever there are sharp corners with small radii, especially on the prongs of the E, it looks like the v-bit dug into them deeper. Instead, the bit should be raised up to create a smaller radius cut.

Or, this may also be explained by constant-depth cutting. If the v-bit is cutting at constant depth all the time, then any sharp corner is going to be sharp on the inside and round on the outside. You mention you're using the "outline" tool? That sounds like it's used for cutting outlines to cut out shapes, and not for engraving shapes. I'm not familiar with Cut2D, but if it has some sort of Engraving or Pencil toolpath option, or a pocketing toolpath that obeys edge constraints, then you'll want to look into those.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:36 am

This looks like a massive amount of slop. I think your Y belts are very loose, or one of the Y motors isn't working at all (bad connection? loose belt pulley?)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

adamluna

Post by adamluna » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:50 am

I adjusted all of the belts before doing this and they are tensioned. Now Brian I think you might be right. I didn't know what to use and used the outlined tool yes. I will try the engraving one and report back. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam
Shapeoko 3 w/DPW 611 #243
WIN7 64bit - Trying to figure it out a Workflow

megeshg

Post by megeshg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 am

i would tend to believe that this is coming from your gcode, i would zoom into those areas on your vector and look for any anomalies. When using v cutting cut2d does some strange paths based on the vector being cut. and any wayward pixel or overlapping vector can cause issues like this.